Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People
Thread started 08 Nov 2017 (Wednesday) 16:35
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Chef Pics

Cubix ­ Rube
545 posts
Joined Jun 2005
Livermore, Ca.
Nov 08, 2017 16:35 |  #1

My son is opening a new restaurant as executive chef, and needed some headshots for the website, so Dad to the rescue! Please share your honest opinions. I did notice that they look a lot sharper in the Smugmug gallery than they did in LR on my PC. I'm assuming I must have some additional sharpening in my publish settings? I'll look into that. I also took some others outside in a garden. I might share those in another post.

#1:

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Friends-and-Family/Chef-Pat/i-qrZmNkf/0/f12439de/XL/IMG_5041-XL.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com .../IMG_5041-XL.jpg&lb=1&s=A] (external link) on Smugmug

#2:

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Friends-and-Family/Chef-Pat/i-pmjXCHn/0/20562036/X2/IMG_5047-X2.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com .../IMG_5047-X2.jpg&lb=1&s=A] (external link) on Smugmug

#3:

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Friends-and-Family/Chef-Pat/i-Jmf2kx9/0/ffb160d1/X2/IMG_5061-X2.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com .../IMG_5061-X2.jpg&lb=1&s=A] (external link) on Smugmug

#4:

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Friends-and-Family/Chef-Pat/i-nqXC8hJ/0/015d294f/X2/IMG_5075-X2.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com .../IMG_5075-X2.jpg&lb=1&s=A] (external link) on Smugmug

Upside the head...A place where nothing good ever happens.
My stuff: 5DII, 20D, kit lens, Tamron 17-50, Canon 70-300 USM IS, 50 f/1.8, 580 EX, Lumiquest 80/20 flash bounce, a few filters, manfroto tripod with ball head. Pathetic Flickr gallery,external linkSmugmug siteexternal link

sponsored links
OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,183 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Nov 08, 2017 17:40 |  #2

Cubix Rube wrote in post #18492115 (external link)
My son is opening a new restaurant as executive chef, and needed some headshots for the website, so Dad to the rescue! Please share your honest opinions.

Okay. If he really wants headshots, these will need a lot of cropping. Otherwise:

• In #s 3 and 4, the cutting board, being the lightest thing in the foreground, takes attention away from your son. Better to have the light fall away toward the bottom. #4, the knife needs a wash and polish.

• His expression is neutral, almost severe, rather than friendly. #4 has the best face in this regard.

• Diners might be more drawn to try the place if an image shows the chef handling, or at least posing with, some actual food. The bare kitchen by itself doesn't look inviting. Could he hold a big basket of greens or something related to the main emphasis of the menu?

• PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

IrishK
    512 posts
    Joined Jun 2010
    Ireland
    Nov 09, 2017 05:58 |  #3

OhLook has given you some great pointers above.

I'll add to this and say that I would have removed the pens from his shoulder pocket.

In #2 your son has pursed his lips, creating a slightly worried expression. Red to the left might signal danger.

To be honest, I'm not sure square-on to the camera works here with a knife in shot. If the website requires headshots only, stick to the brief. :)

saea501
    ... spilled over a little on the panties
    Joined Jan 2010
    Florida
    Nov 09, 2017 06:09 |  #4

I think there is a little too much picking of the nits here.

These look pretty good to me for the intended purpose. What strikes me is the cutting board. Usually, in commercial kitchens, the cutting area is more along the lines of 2 x 3 feet. That board looks too small for a home kitchen, let alone this one.

The pens in his arm pocket, I've never seen a chef that didn't have these and usually a thermometer as well. His expressions are nearly identical in these, picture 1 being slightly more serious.

Picture 2 and 3 are the best of this set.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
    Bob

texkam
    "Just let me be a stupid photographer."
    1,110 posts
    Joined Mar 2012
    By The Lake in Big D
    Nov 09, 2017 06:24 |  #5

When arms are folded you need to see the hands.

PineBomb
    I have many notable flaws
    Joined Apr 2014
    Psych Ward, East Wing, USA
    Nov 09, 2017 06:31 |  #6

I too think these look pretty good. The expressions are fine. He looks relaxed.

I also agree that on the wider shots it would be more inviting to see food or some other indication of an operational kitchen.

But I'm not crazy about 3 and 4. The handling of the chef knife is unnatural. No. 3 with elbow perched on the hilt looks especially contrived. In both cases it looks like an OSHA violation.

-Matt
    Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

TeamSpeed
    01010100 01010011
    32,239 posts
    Gallery: 63 photos
    Joined May 2002
    Northern Indiana
    Post has been last edited 14 days ago by TeamSpeed. 8 edits done in total.
    Nov 09, 2017 06:46 |  #7

Watch your backgrounds as well. 1 and 4 have the faucet sticking out of the shoulder and the bokeh seems to draw my attention. The other two with just the grills/pots look better to me.

I also agree that a few food shots would be good. Perhaps have an ornate dish prepared with garnish, etc and have him hold it with a bit of a smile? After all, that is the culmination of his skill, why not have it in the photo? Is he a butcher with the knifes, or an assassin, or is he creating a dish I want to eat?

I don't agree about the crossed arms vs hands. I see shots of chefs like Lagasse and Ramsey where they have their arms crossed and hands are not showing, but perhaps make sure one hand is out? I just feel those shots aren't as inviting as others where the chef is brandishing their tools or their food, or are sitting at table with food and spirits.

For some ideas (external link)... although there are some that are downright creepy. :eek: I agree too about the teensy weensy cutting board, my cutting boards are even bigger than that. For a knife/block shot, look at the Hilton shot in this list in the link.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Cubix ­ Rube
    THREAD ­ STARTER
    545 posts
    Joined Jun 2005
    Livermore, Ca.
    Nov 09, 2017 09:29 |  #8

Thank you all for such GREAT and helpful comments. This was thrown together rather quickly, and I had certainly thought about the food thing. Unfortunately, we weren't able to pull anything together at that time.

I certainly appreciate all of the other comments, that hit on things I hadn't thought about or noticed, and I think, for the most part, I'm in agreement with everything you've pointed out (I wasn't crazy about the knife shots either). Perhaps I'll crop in for a tighter head shot for now, and get a better environmental shot once he has his own kitchen set up, and food to prepare.

We'll consider the comments on his expressions, and pick one to crop. Again, than you so much.

Ron

Upside the head...A place where nothing good ever happens.
    My stuff: 5DII, 20D, kit lens, Tamron 17-50, Canon 70-300 USM IS, 50 f/1.8, 580 EX, Lumiquest 80/20 flash bounce, a few filters, manfroto tripod with ball head. Pathetic Flickr gallery,external linkSmugmug siteexternal link

Evertking
    Joined Jul 2016
    Nov 18, 2017 00:27 |  #9

What the red to the left thing??
    Good pictures.

FarmerTed1971
    fondling the 5D4
    Joined Sep 2013
    Portland, OR
    Nov 18, 2017 00:34 |  #10

#2 FTW

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - 6D - 135L - 70-200 f4L IS - 600EX-RT x2 - ST-E3-RT - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

Make ­ it ­ snappy
    Hatchling
    Joined Aug 2017
    Southend on Sea
    Nov 19, 2017 13:36 |  #11

Yes, No2 hits the brief for me....... if i saw this as part of a brochure or Website it looks good.

Ronnie

sponsored links

629 views & 3 likes for this thread
    Chef Pics
    FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
    Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.