Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 08 Nov 2017 (Wednesday) 18:41
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Advice on handing camera to someone else to take photos of me?

stanwelks
153 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Nov 08, 2017 18:41 |  #1

I had my wife sit on a rock yesterday as a stand in, I adjusted all the settings on my 5DM3 and 70-200mm, and then handed it to her in the exact spot I was in, and I directed her on how to shoot the photo while I sat on the rock with my kids. Every single photo she took came out blurry. Does anyone have any suggestions for doing this, and coming out with some usable photos from somebody who knows nothing about photography?

Thanks.

sponsored links
DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Post has been edited 13 days ago by DaviSto.
Nov 08, 2017 18:52 |  #2

Put the camera into green box mode or buy her a simple point and shoot or ask her to use her smartphone. Unless she has a real interest in photography, this will be the full limit of what you can do... and it may not be enough. Alternatively, carry a tripod and remote trigger and just leave her be.

There is hardly any photographic evidence of my own existence. I've learned to live with that.

Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

Larry ­ Johnson
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2011
Virginia
Nov 08, 2017 19:06 |  #3

Put the camera on a tripod and use a remote or time lapse. Prefocus in manual mode. Take the second person out of the equation.

flickr (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,156 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 13 days ago by Wilt.
Nov 08, 2017 19:17 |  #4

When I hand my camera to someone else,

1. I prefocus and then put the lens in Manual Focus mode
  2. I pre-set exposure with the camera in Manual mode (making sure the shutter speed is reasonable fast to prevent camera shake blur)
  3. I pre-set the FL to the tightness/looseness of framing that I want

..and then I tell the person that it is zoomed and preset and focused, so that all they need to do is "Don't locate our faces bullseyed AT the center area, just press the shutter button"

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,108 posts
Joined Mar 2012
By The Lake in Big D
Nov 08, 2017 19:21 |  #5

That's on you. You obviously didn't adjust your settings well enough. I'm guessing too slow of a shutter. Why wouldn't you have chimped after a couple or three shots to confirm all was going well?

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,575 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Nov 08, 2017 19:26 |  #6

The only person I've ever handed my camera to is one of the kids outside Wrigley Field who take photos of you/your group with your camera for tips. They seem to be able to operate just about anything. Most other folks look at a DSLR like it has a contagious/terminal/ca​ncer/typhoid-type disease.

Tom

elitejp
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Nov 08, 2017 19:43 |  #7

It just takes practice and constantly teaching. You cant get mad at her because shes just going through the same process you did when you first learned. You should have had her take a couple pictures and you then look to see if it was in focus. And then continue on. Where did the red box land etc?
My gf is learning but the photos of just me are 50/50 in focus. Also use a larger depth of field that helps everything be in more focus. Finally i think my gf has a great eye for composition but the *%&$#@ auto focus points on my 6D severely limit trying to take a portrait. Its focus recompose all the time or have bad composition.

My solution for all these problems is to switch brands. I nearly only shoot outdoor portraits but i also want more pictures of myself. The sony a7r3 (and other sony cameras) use eye focus. I turn eye focus on and hand the camera to her and let the camera do its thing. I can move about, she can move about and that focus point will always be on my eye. Now if i want to have a picture of us together i dont need to do a tripod, set a timer etc. I give the camera to a stranger after setting it to eye focus and with only showing him how to use the shutter button he can click away and we have in focus pictures.

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
5,139 posts
Joined Jan 2009
SoCal
Nov 08, 2017 19:47 |  #8

I have done most of what is suggested above (except tripod and self timer). However, at the end of it all, usually half my head is cut off in the picture being the tallest in the family. :-(

ekinnyc
751 posts
Joined Mar 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Nov 08, 2017 19:58 |  #9

When it’s my girlfriend, friends, or a parent, I generally set the exposure, and tell them to put the center dot on my chest (I use center af 99% of the time). Generally yields desired results, and I don’t feel bad asking for a redo. Strangers are a diff thing, and I have to put auto af point selection on, otherwise the results are poor

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

greenjeans
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2010
Greenville, SC
Nov 08, 2017 19:59 |  #10

Put it in Green Box mode and don't look back if you really want the pics. Had to do that today at my granddaughter's HS for her national letter of intent day. GB and flash in hot shoe and 90% good shots from teen ager who had never seen the camera before.

Gripped 6D, gripped 70D, gripped T3i, 24-105 F4L, 50mm 1.8, 55-250mm, 18-135mm, 60mm EF-S macro, 70-200 F4L IS, 400mm F5.6L, 18-55mm IS STM, Canon 85mm 1.8, Sigma 150-600mm C., Sigma 100-400mm C, Samyang 8mm 3.5 fisheye

elitejp
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Nov 08, 2017 20:12 |  #11

I think having a good speedlight on camera also helps alot

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

Azathoth
" ...whose name no lips dare speak aloud"
Joined Jul 2012
Funchal
Post has been last edited 12 days ago by Azathoth. 2 edits done in total.
Nov 09, 2017 11:51 |  #12

Set the exposure yourself, prefocus and then put in manual focus, set the focal length if it's a zoom but put it wider and then crop, turn IS on, mark a spot on the floor. put the camera strap around their neck, make absolutely sure that they know where is the shutter button, tell them to press it hard but slowly until they hear a loud noise and that they need to look at the viewfinder and frame it properly. Explain exactly what you want. Give a few tips on how to hold the camera. Then prepare the scene, get ready and make sure they take at least a dozen shots.
Chimp it and make sure you have 1 good shot. If not, explain everything slower and try again. If it fails again, calm yourself and tell them to use their phone instead.

500px (external link) | flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Nov 09, 2017 12:27 as a reply to Azathoth's post |  #13

It's always going to be really quite difficult. Whether a person is at the fine-art or techno-geek end of the photographer spectrum, enjoying and succeeding at photography involves a lot of attention to fine details. Not everybody can be bothered with that ... and their ears just go deaf and their fingers go numb when anyone tries to explain it to them.

Just occasionally, you will find somebody to take the camera who is genuinely interested and will seriously listen to and try to follow instructions and explanations. Mostly you won't.

Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2007
Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.
Nov 09, 2017 13:42 |  #14

No matter how much you preset, once you hand your camera to somebody else, all bets are off. I needed to be part of a group shot on vacation once. I handed my camera to a hotel staff member and said, "Stand right here and push that button (pointing to the shutter release). Don't do anything else." He somehow managed to change the focal length from 24 to 85mm. Goodbye group shot. Maybe I should have handed it to him with a $20 tip?

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​texternal link
Editing ok

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,229 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 12 days ago by TeamSpeed. 2 edits done in total.
Nov 09, 2017 13:46 |  #15

It really isn't that hard. People are used to holding a phone out in front of them and hitting a button. Put the camera in Live View, and tell them to half press the shutter to get focus and then press the rest of the way to take a shot. Be sure to set up the settings you want to have beforehand, and all they have to do is frame, focus and shoot. Asking them to look in a viewfinder to locate a black AF point somewhere in the frame that is already a bit difficult for us to use isn't going to help matters any.

The new cameras with DPAF and touch screen are even easier. Just frame on the back LCD, then touch where you want focus to be, and the camera will focus then take the shot.

I wouldn't use green box if you want a more creative shot. If you just want a polaroid instant snapshot, then by all means use green box.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

sponsored links

2,270 views & 5 likes for this thread
Advice on handing camera to someone else to take photos of me?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.