Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera
Thread started 08 Nov 2017 (Wednesday) 22:06
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

New camera?

flying_babyb
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Nov 08, 2017 22:06 |  #1

So i'm currently shooting with a bridge camera. I would like to upgrade (again) to a DSLR. I had a Sony A230 I loved but it had a major accident, the shutter broke. I'm looking for something I could get a good deal on (most likely used). I'm not really picky on a brand right now either. I do a lot of outdoor photography, (waterfalls, animals,ect) and a lot of portraits. Seem to be making most of my money lately on seinor pictures. What would you reccomend?

sponsored links
Eric ­ Hopp
Joined Apr 2017
Campbell, CA, USA
Nov 08, 2017 22:36 |  #2

Go into a camera store, and test out a couple of Canon and Nikon DSLR cameras. Play with the controls and menus of both types of camera systems. The one system you feel more comfortable with, will be the system you enjoy shooting with. Then you go in and research the individual DSLR cameras and features you will want.

I'm suggesting Canon and Nikon since they have the widest selection of digital SLR cameras, lenses, flashes, and accessories that you can start building and customizing your system. There are plenty of used Canon and Nikon cameras and lenses that you can purchase here on the forums, eBay or even Amazon to start. Both Canon and Nikon produce excellent quality cameras and lenses that can serve you well.
Good luck in your search.

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,107 posts
Joined Mar 2012
By The Lake in Big D
Nov 08, 2017 23:03 |  #3

Budget? Before you answer, consider the money for additional file storage space that you will soon need as well.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
9,823 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2012
Bowie, MD
Nov 09, 2017 02:40 |  #4

texkam wrote in post #18492363 (external link)
Budget? Before you answer, consider the money for additional file storage space that you will soon need as well.

I don't understand how this is a real consideration in 2017. Storage is cheap these days. You can get a 1TB HDD for $30 and good sized fast SD cards for less than that.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

texkam
1,107 posts
Joined Mar 2012
By The Lake in Big D
Nov 09, 2017 04:15 |  #5

Yeah, so if the budget is $300 then an HDD and an SD card + tax could easily be 15% of that; a significant chunk. Let see what say the OP. $800-$1000 budget and sure, the price of storage becomes trivial.

Another consideration, the OP is coming from a bridge camera, which was an upgrade from their previous, and wants to shoot senior portraiture professionally. This means they'll also have to budget for a lens as well, and I'm sure we'll get plenty of recommendations there..... Canon 24-70, 135, 85, Sigma Art, etc. What's the price of the upgrade now? I've seen this movie before. My greater point is, sometimes people just getting started fail to realize the ancillary costs involved in a professional upgrade.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,221 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 9 days ago by TeamSpeed. 2 edits done in total.
Nov 09, 2017 05:17 as a reply to texkam's post |  #6

It doesn't matter whether the TS wants to shoot professionally or not, even a casual shooter runs out of space eventually, and need a good storage or backup drive, so that cost is there regardless at some point. The bridge camera likely uses SD cards now, so again, the need to go to larger cards might be a later cost, but not necessarily an immediate need.

Also being in the US, watch the Canon refurbished deals this time of year. Most are basically new cameras at a discount with a 1 year warranty.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Mathmans
Joined Apr 2014
Post has been edited 9 days ago by Mathmans.
Nov 09, 2017 06:14 as a reply to TeamSpeed's post |  #7

I think the most relevant question would be, how much you want to spend on camera and lenses.
DSLR cameras goes from a few hundred $ to few thousands $. I somehow presumed you don't want
to spend more then 2000 US$ on a DSLR camera body.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,221 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 9 days ago by TeamSpeed. 3 edits done in total.
Nov 09, 2017 06:28 |  #8

I think the cameras these days are good enough, that we could just about suggest anything and it would work for quite some time for somebody getting back into DSLRs.

For example, for under $750, this is a great solution for somebody getting back into this, and it would be sufficient for many kinds of shooting. It would also likely mirror many of a more modern bridge camera's functions, while being better at about everything.

https://shop.usa.canon​.com ...56-is-stm-kit-refurbished (external link)

Add this lens and you are set for portraits and many low light situations.

https://shop.usa.canon​.com ...50mm-f-18-stm-refurbished (external link)

So for under $850, you would have 2 very useful lenses and a very capable camera, certainly something that can be expanded upon later too with other lenses, or more bodies.

flying_babyb
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Nov 09, 2017 18:45 |  #9

under $500. Am willing to buy used. My current camera was used and works great. Have TONS of memory cards already, tons of accessories. Just need a camera and lens

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,221 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited 8 days ago by TeamSpeed.
Nov 09, 2017 19:41 as a reply to flying_babyb's post |  #10

https://shop.usa.canon​.com ...-stm-lens-kit-refurbished (external link)

or

https://shop.usa.canon​.com ...-stm-lens-kit-refurbished (external link)
+
https://www.amazon.com ...mbc?ie=UTF8&conditi​on=all (external link)

flying_babyb
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Post has been edited 8 days ago by flying_babyb.
Nov 09, 2017 21:14 as a reply to TeamSpeed's post |  #11

is this a good deal?
Canon Digital Rebel XTi 10.1MP Digital SLR Camera (Black Body Only) for $120 (used of corse)?

what dSRLs use SD cards? Kinda would like to find one that uses the cards I have.

texkam
1,107 posts
Joined Mar 2012
By The Lake in Big D
Nov 09, 2017 21:21 |  #12

Too old. Crappy iso performance.

flying_babyb
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Nov 09, 2017 21:23 as a reply to texkam's post |  #13

Ok any reccomendions on ones that use sd cards? Whats considered a good ISO to shoot for? its been awhile since I had a DSRL

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Post has been edited 8 days ago by MalVeauX.
Nov 09, 2017 21:24 |  #14

flying_babyb wrote in post #18493089 (external link)
is this a good deal?
Canon Digital Rebel XTi 10.1MP Digital SLR Camera (Black Body Only) for $120 (used of corse)?

what dSRLs use SD cards? Kinda would like to find one that uses the cards I have.

I have an XTi. The image quality is fine at lower ISO. You won't need high ISO for landscape and portrait.

I bought my XTi for $50 though used. For $120 you could probably find a 40D which is heaps better.

At $500 and less, you could look for:

1) 5D Classic (MKI) (full frame; still a great camera for what you're looking to do, commonly $250~300); leaves room for a lens (Tamron 28-75 F2.8 would be $120~150 used and great)

2) Any APS-C such as the 60D, 7D, T3i~T5i, and an 18-135 STM lens would be a nice start and modern. If budget allows, add a 55-250 STM and/or a 10-18 STM as you can for a really full great range with great quality.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,221 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited 8 days ago by TeamSpeed.
Nov 09, 2017 21:32 |  #15

flying_babyb wrote in post #18493095 (external link)
Ok any reccomendions on ones that use sd cards? Whats considered a good ISO to shoot for? its been awhile since I had a DSRL

I just gave you two suggestions, both good cameras, and both take SD? You also get a 1 year warranty...

sponsored links

348 views & 5 likes for this thread
New camera?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.