Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge
Thread started 09 Nov 2017 (Thursday) 08:53
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

A Man After My own heart

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Nov 09, 2017 08:53 |  #1

I love this guy.

Do yourself a favor.........

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=4GflhBUSpdQ (external link)

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob

sponsored links
teekay
Goldmember
2,595 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Nov 09, 2017 11:34 |  #2

Thanks for the link - it's the best advice to photographers that I've ever seen on video, and enough to cure almost anyone of G.A.S. :-)

Ian ­ Mackie
Don’t bait the TF, it’ll backfire on you.
Joined May 2013
From Scotland, living in Gibraltar "A Jock on the Rock"
Nov 09, 2017 13:14 |  #3

saea501 wrote in post #18492561 (external link)
I love this guy.

Do yourself a favor.........

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=4GflhBUSpdQ (external link)

Cheers Bob, never knew of him .... subscribed now.

flickr (external link)

DetPenguin
32 posts
Joined Nov 2017
Nov 09, 2017 13:50 |  #4

Makes a great point with the film camera. I've seen great images come from phones and t1i's than some pictures I take.
The best camera is the one you have in your hands.

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,600 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Nov 09, 2017 15:44 |  #5

This is exactly why I bought another copy of the Elan 7NE recently. Sadly, I've loaded the film, but have yet to release the shutter.

Tom

joeseph
"smells like turd"
Joined Jan 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Nov 10, 2017 01:18 |  #6

Interesting commentary comparing the F1 to the 5D3.

I get his point, but in reality the F1 wasn't exactly the cheapest camera available at the time. 1986 pricelist has it at $887 before you start adding lenses.
If you do the maths (I cheated & used an online calculator) that adjusted for inflation is roughly $2000. which would buy you a very capable 6D MK II body so think his "comparison" is best described as misleading...

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

saea501
THREAD ­ STARTER
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Nov 10, 2017 06:10 as a reply to joeseph's post |  #7

I believe you've missed the point entirely.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob

joeseph
"smells like turd"
Joined Jan 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Nov 11, 2017 02:17 |  #8

saea501 wrote in post #18493230 (external link)
I believe you've missed the point entirely.

happens all the time... ;-)a

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Nov 12, 2017 01:34 |  #9

Personally, I enjoy the gear selection process. It's one of the fun things about photography. I felt the same way about tools when I was in the carpentry trade. I did make money with my tools, of course, and I don't sell photographs, but the selection process is very similar.

So my point is, I don't feel guilty about it. I didn't feel guilty buying a $600 belt sander when you could pick up a Craftsman for $39.99. I liked the way the Rockwell felt when I used it, so that's what I bought.

That might explain why the rant video didn't really do much for me. If someone wants to spend all their time worrying about gear and never going out to take a photograph, it doesn't bother me. Why should it? People collect various things all the time... watches, knives, Amish comforters, pots, pans and skillets...you name it and humans collect it, so why should I get upset when someone collects camera gear and never uses it? Or even if they do use it but fuss about what to buy all the time... should I let that get to me? I'll bet all of us know people who aren't happy unless they are worrying about something... fussing over something else.... I can't change them, but I don't have to let the way they are affect me.

Life is too short. I'm trying enjoy it as much as I can for as long as I can and at the moment, I like learning about photography, including the gear and getting out there to take photographs. I find a hmmmmmmm sense of self? I'm not sure that really expresses it. I feel a sense of awareness when I'm walking in a nature preserve or a botanical garden with my camera. I slow down..... let nature wash over me.

Then I get home and read about all the great gear I'll be able to buy in a few years when something even better is released. ;)

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition

welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,239 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Southampton Hampshire UK
Nov 12, 2017 03:37 |  #10

That wasn't a 'rant' video, it was a 'look at me aren't I great' video. Like you say, if people have the disposable income and want to spend it on camera gear, good for them, nobody else's business.

This is the same category as;

'Green box brigade' Gosh what a bunch of losers, I can use manual mode and everything...

'Lens hood on but the wrong way around' what a bunch of losers, I know all about lens flare protecting front elements etc.

'Hipsters buying old film cameras for street photography' what a bunch of losers, look what I did with my cheap DSLR etc

'People spending thousands on flash gear then using it outside' what a bunch of losers look at what I did with natural light etc

And on, and on.....

It's all about putting other people down to big yourself up, in this example a he's a pro, he's getting exposure, it's pure PR. Which hasn't worked for me, he just came over as small minded, vindictive and petty, I certainly won't be watching anything by him again.

What gets me is the pic he's using to show how good the old film camera was is a really simple picture, nothing special about it really, look at what I did with an EOS 1Dx mk II with a 600mm hanging out of a helicopter with two bikini models flying over a volcano....wait, now I'm doing it, sorry :)

The fact is, if there weren't average Joe's going out buying expensive gear, then local shops would close, camera and lens ranges would be more expensive, some current cameras and lenses may not even exist, there's be less high end second hand stuff knocking about for people to buy. People spending money on camera gear is good for everyone, it should be celebrated, not degenerated and sneered upon, let alone looked down upon by a pro. He does it full time and he's comparing himself to amateurs, to beginners, to people who maybe do it for for a few hours a week, and try to improve their lot by buying better gear? Of course he's better at it for heavens sake, it's his job. He keeps saying they need what's 'in his head' to take better pictures, cool, as it's their hobby and not their job, where can they go and buy 25 years of full time experience?

The only was this could be a logical argument was if buying more expensive or professional gear made you worse, well in some hobbies it certainly can, but photography, no...........

5DIII, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,033 posts
Joined Nov 2009
The Rhubarb Triangle
Nov 12, 2017 05:34 |  #11

At last, someone on the internet actually talking SENSE.

Those that can, do. Those that can't whinge.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Nov 12, 2017 08:13 |  #12

The overall message is a good one. Get over any potential self-hype or putting someone down. That's not what it's about.

There's a difference between someone wanting new equipment claiming they want higher image quality, and looking at the pixel level, and worrying over sharpness, contrast, grain, etc, on an image that isn't really worth sharing; and someone posting grainy out of focus images with drab color and weak contrast, but a composition or content presented in a way that is meaningful and tells a story or evokes an emotion or memory. Now, obviously it's not that black & white. But that's sort of the point of this video. The message is that you don't have to have tons of gear and the latest greatest tech to produce a good photography (it helps, can be more efficient), but somehow despite the gear, the concepts of composition and story telling are lost. Instead, it's just a centered subject, sharp as all get out, with a blurry background, at high ISO and is clean; and potentially a totally forgettable image. Again, no one is dissing anyone. This is just a break down of what the video seems to be about.

I happen to agree with that.

And I'm sure we're all guilty of this to an extent, if not completely.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link) :: Canon 135L For Sale | Canon 17-40L For Sale | Canon 50mm STM For Sale | YN622C-TX & YN622C x 2 For Sale

sponsored links

625 views & 14 likes for this thread
A Man After My own heart
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.