Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support
Thread started 10 Nov 2017 (Friday) 04:49
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Variable Angle'y' tripod reviews wanted

Rob-P
79 posts
Joined Jun 2012
UK Midlands
Nov 10, 2017 04:49 |  #1

Yes I know it's not a word but I can't think of the term.

I'm looking for a new tripod (despite having 2 and a Manfrotto monopod and ball head (Yummmm) The two tripods are great (Velbon) sturdy, tall and heavy duty unfortunately they've been hijacked. Spotting scope and some 10x50 binoculars.

I am looking for something specific.

Similar to the Manfrotto Be Free. I want a Tripod that will let me angle the legs to around 80/90 degrees, all legs independent of the others for odd terrain.
I also would like the ability to be able to angle the main centre pole, not just up and down.

Finally Santa, I would like to have it hold with reasonable security an EOS 5D MKII with MPE65mm and Nissin MF18 macro flash. (I resent hearing expensive kit going thud on the ground.)

I would really appreciate the thoughts of kind members here. I might be asking a lot but I am prepared to spend a reasonable amount on the security of my kit.

Looking to be able to Macro low level insects, or flowers at different angles/viewpoint.

Cheers in advance.

sponsored links
rwmson
Joined Aug 2009
Cherry Hill, NJ USA
Nov 10, 2017 06:17 |  #2

Gitzo GT2541EX Series 2 Explorer 6X Carbon Fiber Tripod. I have an older model and it works great! Last tripod you'll ever need to buy.

a gobba gobba glass

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Nov 10, 2017 06:33 as a reply to rwmson's post |  #3

Haven't they stopped making this range for some reason ... despite its great reputation?

Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

Rob-P
THREAD ­ STARTER
79 posts
Joined Jun 2012
UK Midlands
Nov 10, 2017 06:42 as a reply to rwmson's post |  #4

Unfortunately, not available anywhere I can find (UK) nice kit though (would like a little less cost though nearly $800) Will keep looking...

SailingAway
274 posts
Joined Sep 2013
Nov 10, 2017 12:36 |  #5

Agreeing with previous posters to this thread, a Series 2 Gitzo Explorer tripod has it all. Continuously variable column angle, same for legs.

I don’t have one. Making do with a Manfrotto for which the column goes horizontal, and there are 3 leg angles that are available.

Oben has a tilting column. But, you have to fully extend the column for tilting. There may be other knockoff brands. None I’ve seen are as useful and versatile as the Gitzo Explorer.

I think this is most useful for low angle shots, with low camera, especially macro, because the legs typically go wider than the column reach in that setup. If you get your camera out beyond the tripod’s footprint it’s going to go over! Weighing down the tripod works for some people, I’m usually not patient enough for it.

Another use is to shoot straight down. I’ve used this more, being careful to keep the cam in the tripod footprint. This is of limited value as even a moderate wide angle shot will show the tripod legs. Still, it’s useful when shooting a nadir shot for a spherical panorama.

From the upper left corner of the U.S.
Photos, Video & Pano r us.
College and workshop instructor in video and audio.
70D, Sigma 8mm, Tokina f2.8 11-16, Canon EF-S f2.8 17-55, Sigma f2.8 50-150 EX OS, Tamron 150-600VC. Gigapan Epic Pro, Nodal Ninja 5 & R10.

peter_n
Goldmember
2,356 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Boston, MA
Nov 14, 2017 14:58 |  #6

Take a look at the Benro FGP28C on Amazon UK (external link) which has a couple of reviews. This is a updated version of a similar model that I've used for many years. It has been incredibly useful; I use mine indoors only with a geared head. If you're not familiar with the Benro brand they were originally slavish Gitzo copies but in the last 10 years they have produced better tripods than the Gitzo originals, and also sell their tripods under the Induro brand, at least here in the US. My Benro traveler replaced a Gitzo traveler and is now in it's 7th year of service.

The centre column is held by a very sturdy manual ratchet at just about any angle you need, and they come in all sizes in both aluminium as well as carbon fibre and with either twist locks or flip locks (if you buy get the twist lock version). They're well worth their price of £319.

~Peter

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,707 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Nov 14, 2017 17:52 |  #7

Rob-P wrote in post #18493249 (external link)
Unfortunately, not available anywhere I can find (UK) nice kit though (would like a little less cost though nearly $800) Will keep looking...

This one might be worth investigating?

https://www.ebay.co.uk ...6f080e:g:RVQAAOSwTe​xZy386 (external link)

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Post has been edited 3 days ago by Phoenixkh.
Nov 14, 2017 23:11 |  #8

I had a variable angle tripod before I got my RRS tripod. I thought I'd miss it for macro shots but it turns out, I didn't. I ended up just adjusting my thinking and moved the tripod closer.

The legs do go down to almost flat so getting close to the ground was no issue (no center column, just a short shaft for the leveling base).

Since you said you didn't mind spending a bit more money, if I were you, I'd just get an RRS or Gitzo Series 3 tripod and be done with it. I say this because this is what I did. One tripod to rule them all (unless, of course, you are a hiker and need something lighter for that application. ;))

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition

sponsored links

198 views & 0 likes for this thread
Variable Angle'y' tripod reviews wanted
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.