Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 12 Nov 2017 (Sunday) 13:39
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Lightroom Ruins My Print?

icor1031
Joined Jan 2015
Nov 12, 2017 13:39 |  #1

If I print through lightroom, I get the top picture.
If I print through windows photo viewer, I get the bottom picture.

I'm using a printer profile I created via coloris.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

(2) Canon 6D || Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2 || Zeiss Otus 85mm f/1.4 || Sigma 85mm f/1.4 || Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 || Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art || Canon 24mm f/2.8 || Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 || (2) Eg-S Focusing Screen
T3i || Elan 7n || Cotton Carrier || Streaklight 360 || i1display Pro || Colormunki Photo

sponsored links
BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Nov 13, 2017 09:55 |  #2

What happens if you hit the print to file option, and create a JPEG using the same settings from Lr? This will use the same colour profile, so you will be able to see if it is a problem with the profile. You don't mention what printer you are using, so I don't know if the driver will actually let you print using a different profile when it is managing the colours. Oh and do you have Lr set up to manage colours, with colour management turned OFF in the printer driver. None of the Windows utilities allow you to play with colour management. It's only in the last year that Microsoft have even made the Photo viewing utilities in Win 10 colour aware enough that they can use an embedded colour profile in an image.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

icor1031
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2015
Nov 13, 2017 10:32 as a reply to BigAl007's post |  #3

Win.7
Pro-100 (XPS driver)

(2) Canon 6D || Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2 || Zeiss Otus 85mm f/1.4 || Sigma 85mm f/1.4 || Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 || Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art || Canon 24mm f/2.8 || Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 || (2) Eg-S Focusing Screen
T3i || Elan 7n || Cotton Carrier || Streaklight 360 || i1display Pro || Colormunki Photo

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Nov 14, 2017 07:02 |  #4

I have never liked the XPS driver for my much more basic Canon all in one printer, It seems to have far less options for controlling the output than the standard non XPS one. Certainly when printing direct from the OS provided image viewer you won't have any colour management going on in the software, so the printer driver will have to deal with it. I know the Pro100 driver options are more advanced, with my Pixma MG5150, you can only use paper and ink profiles that shipped with the driver with software that doesn't do colour management. Unless you are using some of the advanced options then it is very likely that when printing via Win 7 and the viewer you are using a standard colour profile. This should actually produce reasonable results from any random image file, especially a JPEG designed for use on the web using sRGB for the colour space.

When printing from Lr using the print module you have to decide if you are going to colour manage in Lr or use the printer driver to do the management. On my printer with the XPS driver I haven't been able to figure out how to turn the color management off. So I use the standard driver when using some of the advanced options you can turn off colour management. I then use Lr to set the correct colour profile for the printer/paper/ink in use. This is what you would need to use in order to use a custom printer profile, at least with my lower grade Canon printer. If you have colour management on in both, what will happen is that Lr will convert the normal image RGB values to match the actual RGB values that the printer needs to use to apply ink correctly. If you then do the same process again in the driver it will shift colours again, resulting in odd looking output.

To be honest double profiling doesn't usually look that bad. Which is why I wanted you to create an image by using the print to file option in Lr. That will create an image using the colour profile of the printer. If that image ends up looking anything like the print, then I would suspect that you have a corrupted profile. Since it is a custom profile that you are using it may be worth doing it again, just to be sure.

When you created the test print that you used to make the profile from you did remember to turn off colour management in the driver didn't you? When you create the test print you must send the exact RGB values to the printer, so that you can measure the difference in colour from that expected. If colour management is still on the profile will be based on a different set of RGB values at the printer, and the corrections will be off.

You really need to provide much more information about what you are doing, with all of the settings in both Lr and the printer driver, and for when printing from Win 7 and the viewer.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

icor1031
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2015
Nov 14, 2017 13:59 as a reply to BigAl007's post |  #5

You're right that setting my profile in windows options and then printing via image viewer appears to not apply the profile.

Print to file looks completely broken. I'm trying to recreate my profiles... Coloris-app.fr should give me the best results, but it lacks directions. At least now I don't have to waste a lot of ink trying to figure out if the profile works! Thanks :)

icor1031
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2015
Post has been edited 1 month ago by icor1031.
Nov 14, 2017 15:57 |  #6

I just had to reinstall windows because coloris somehow locked my device, and it was the only program that could use it. Sigh.

icor1031
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2015
Post has been edited 1 month ago by icor1031.
Nov 14, 2017 18:26 |  #7

BigAl007 wrote in post #18496051 (external link)
I have never liked the XPS driver for my much more basic Canon all in one printer, It seems to have far less options for controlling the output than the standard non XPS one. Certainly when printing direct from the OS provided image viewer you won't have any colour management going on in the software, so the printer driver will have to deal with it. I know the Pro100 driver options are more advanced, with my Pixma MG5150, you can only use paper and ink profiles that shipped with the driver with software that doesn't do colour management. Unless you are using some of the advanced options then it is very likely that when printing via Win 7 and the viewer you are using a standard colour profile. This should actually produce reasonable results from any random image file, especially a JPEG designed for use on the web using sRGB for the colour space.

When printing from Lr using the print module you have to decide if you are going to colour manage in Lr or use the printer driver to do the management. On my printer with the XPS driver I haven't been able to figure out how to turn the color management off. So I use the standard driver when using some of the advanced options you can turn off colour management. I then use Lr to set the correct colour profile for the printer/paper/ink in use. This is what you would need to use in order to use a custom printer profile, at least with my lower grade Canon printer. If you have colour management on in both, what will happen is that Lr will convert the normal image RGB values to match the actual RGB values that the printer needs to use to apply ink correctly. If you then do the same process again in the driver it will shift colours again, resulting in odd looking output.

To be honest double profiling doesn't usually look that bad. Which is why I wanted you to create an image by using the print to file option in Lr. That will create an image using the colour profile of the printer. If that image ends up looking anything like the print, then I would suspect that you have a corrupted profile. Since it is a custom profile that you are using it may be worth doing it again, just to be sure.

When you created the test print that you used to make the profile from you did remember to turn off colour management in the driver didn't you? When you create the test print you must send the exact RGB values to the printer, so that you can measure the difference in colour from that expected. If colour management is still on the profile will be based on a different set of RGB values at the printer, and the corrections will be off.

You really need to provide much more information about what you are doing, with all of the settings in both Lr and the printer driver, and for when printing from Win 7 and the viewer.

Alan

Okay... Using the profiling software that came with my device, my prints turn out very yellow. It doesn't matter if I have "matching" (color correction) turned on or off when I create the profile and when I print through LR. Whichever way, if I use the profile it creates - my prints are very yellow.

They're significantly closer to what they should be if I just use the default sRGB profile.

What am I doing wrong?

Edit: I ran it again. This time, the prints are closer than the default sRGB profile. It seems a tad high in green, though.

sponsored links

469 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lightroom Ruins My Print?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.