Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 13 Nov 2017 (Monday) 14:52
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Flashpoint Zoom Li-on R2 vs Evolv 200 for hand held lower power needs

silvermesa1
107 posts
Joined Aug 2013
Columbia, Mo. USA
Post has been edited 4 days ago by silvermesa1.
Nov 13, 2017 14:52 |  #1

I have two Explor 600 lights and sometimes I just don't have time to set them up for candid type portraits of family. Looking for something quick that I can hand hold off camera to get a bit of light on the subject without setting up the 5' Octa on the Explor 600. Do you still use your speedlights or does the evolv work well hand held? What is the ability to dial power down for times you don't need so much power with either unit? How do you work in this situation?

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Nov 13, 2017 15:44 |  #2

silvermesa1 wrote in post #18495626 (external link)
I have two Explor 600 lights and sometimes I just don't have time to set them up for candid type portraits of family. Looking for something quick that I can hand hold off camera to get a bit of light on the subject without setting up the 5' Octa on the Explor 600. Do you still use your speedlights or does the evolv work well hand held? What is the ability to dial power down for times you don't need so much power with either unit? How do you work in this situation?

I guess it depends on what you want to do with it other than this purpose to decide, as they both fill this roll very handidly. The AD200 will have more power for other applications at twice to three times the cost depending on the kit you get. The Speedlite will do great (the lithium version is awesome) with access to ETTL & HSS in a light form without any special stuff to work well too. So it's cheaper and does the same job, with a little less output. But, if you're hand holding the light, you're up close to the subject. So unless you are trying to do fill in full sun (which both can do depending how close you are), either will be more than enough for darker conditions at events. The AD200 has more versatility, but again, at a price. Both can be mounted the same way, with speedlite connections. Both can be mounted on a light stick or monpod for handholding with a grip. both can be angled similar, depending on the device used (like an s-bracket). The speedlite will have more flexibility with less gear to get angles/direction, etc. Just know the AD200 won't be on your camera's hot shoe. If you're ok with that, and it's always hand holding, you're good. If you have zero speedlites for hotshoe flash, then it may be worth having the speedlite strictly to gain that option. Sometimes you want to go one handed.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Nov 14, 2017 12:54 |  #3

silvermesa1 wrote in post #18495626 (external link)

I'd lean toward the 200. Its easy to setup for off camera flash in smaller locations. I use a justin clamp with a ball head and adapter that mounts on the spigot of the clamp. The clamp can be a stand on a table, clipped to a floor lamp or curtain rod, etc. bouncing the light into the ceiling or direct as needed.

I usually do this with the fresnel head.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

mdelrossi
60 posts
Joined Jul 2009
Brooklyn NY
Nov 14, 2017 17:44 |  #4

AD200, Westcott Pocketbox Round - 8.5, Statue of Liberty pose. ;)

Corporate: www.delrossiphotograph​y.comexternal link
Family: www.michaeldelrossipho​tography.comexternal link
Facebook:www.facebook.​com/MichaelDelRossiPho​tography

366 views & 0 likes for this thread
Flashpoint Zoom Li-on R2 vs Evolv 200 for hand held lower power needs
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.