Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Lenses 
Thread started 13 Nov 2017 (Monday) 16:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 Nikon mount... Keep w/ D7200 or upgrade?

mabrahams
27 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Nov 2017

Nov 13, 2017 16:34 |  #1

So, I have the D7200 and have aquired a few lenses. Now that I have a nice camera, and some lenses, I start to think how GAS got to me and that is why I acquired this lovely lens, but now I feel I have staved off the GAS monster.... a bit. In the back of my head I still kinda consider the lowlight benifits of a D600 at high ISO's while shooting in a dimly lit restaurant during open mic night, or other dark venues where flash really wouldn't be acceptable. When that thought comes up I also consider this lovely lens and how maybe, just maybe I should have bought a DG wide angle Sigma, or other FX format Nikon wide angle lens so that when.... IF! I do change over to FX that I will have all the lenses I like to have in my kit. I am happy with my nifty 50, even though it is more like a 75mm, and the 70-300 vr afs is lovely as well, but when... I F! I do change I would have to replace this ultra wide angle lens.

Can anyone relate? have you had this dilemma? what did you do? did you overcome the gas, stick with a DX format camera and lens and keep trucking on, or did you fall into the GAS cloud and upgrade?

Thanks for any response.

Morgan

"We all live two lives, the second life begins when we realize we only have one" Unknown
www.instagram.com/morg​an.artist

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 14, 2017 19:49 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

Keep the D7200. Full frame is not better especially if you are talking about the D6xx series. They are pretty much a D7xxx series system with a full frame sensor. Worst, the D6xx series use the D7000 AF system. The AF points are all clustered in the middle. I generally don't focus and to recompose considering that I have 51 AF points. When you have all the 49 AF points in the middle, you don't have much of a choice.

You want a better DX ultra wide angle lens? Try the Tokina 11-16 f2.8 or 11-20 f2.8. The Sigma 10-20 f3.5 is only an OK lens and not really sharp at all. I am currently debating which Tokina to get. I almost pull the trigger on the new Tamron 10-24 VC but most reviews are complaining about the soft edges even at F11. However, the lens is packed with nice features..weather sealing with VC. You can use the tap console to adjust the lens. Very sexy looking lens too. But too much money for a lens couldn't even render sharper corners..:)

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

mabrahams
THREAD ­ STARTER
27 posts
Joined Nov 2017

Nov 14, 2017 21:18 as a reply to  @ TooManyShots's post |  #3

Thank you. I went out shooting today and was sitting with my tripod between my legs and it was zenwatch. I'm happy with the 7200 now. But that sigma lens was purchased on a GAS whim. I'll look at those suggested lenses. Thank you again

"We all live two lives, the second life begins when we realize we only have one" Unknown

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 15, 2017 13:04 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

Well, Samy's camera has both Tokinas and the 11-20 is cheaper than most places... I just ordered the 11-20 with a next day shipping. $485.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

mabrahams
THREAD ­ STARTER
27 posts
Joined Nov 2017

Nov 22, 2017 12:10 |  #5

Well I picked up a Tokina AT-X Pro 28-70mm 2.8f, and I feel like that is a better fit for me. The 24 is wide enough and the aperture is better. Now I just have to wait to put the sigma up for sale on the forums.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

463 views & 2 likes for this thread
Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 Nikon mount... Keep w/ D7200 or upgrade?
FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.