Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands
Thread started 14 Nov 2017 (Tuesday) 01:07
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon or Nikon Full Frame camera

penduboy
302 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Nov 14, 2017 01:07 |  #1

Hi I just acquired bunch of Nikon manual focus lens. Does it make sense to buy adapters and use these on my Canon 5D Mark III or should I sell it (getting really good price for it) and buy a Nikon D800 or D810.

Thanks

Pendu
Canon 5d MK III l 24-70 f2.8L l 600 EX-RT l

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,280 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by Wilt. 2 edits done in total.
Nov 14, 2017 01:15 |  #2

If you have a Nikon manual focus lens, even on a Nikon dSLR that lens will still be a manual Nikon lens with

• no Nikon dSLR body control of shooting aperture
  • no Nikon dSLR body control of automatic stop down from focusing aperture to shooting aperture when shutter is pressed
  • no Nikon dSLR body control of focus, only viewfinder focus confirmation (if the lens has a chip on an adapter which enables focus confirmation)

IOW the manual Nikon lens itself has no advantages used on a Nikon dSLR which it would not also have on a Canon dSLR.

Your Nikon lens needs a set of Nikon electrical contacts in order to have all of the above functions...without them, it is simply an adapted manual lens on ANY dSLR body!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

penduboy
THREAD ­ STARTER
302 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Post has been edited 1 month ago by penduboy.
Nov 14, 2017 01:56 as a reply to Wilt's post |  #3

Thanks for your quick response. I totally understand that these will be totally manual focus and all the controls will be manual, but in order to mount these Nikon lenses on Canon or any other brand DSLR or Mirrorless cameras, I need to use an adapter whereas these can be mounted directly on Nikon body without any adapter.

By the way I have ai and ais lenses.

I have used couple of these with an adapter on my canon 5d and love that. But I was reading on Internet that not all Nikon manual focus lenses are compatible with canon cameras.

I can see one big plus that I can use these lenses without any adapter and I can mount all ai and ais lenses on Nikon camera. I am just wondering if there is any other advantage of using these on Nikon D810.

I also have some Pentax m42 lenses which I can mount on my canon DSLR but I am not sure if I will be able to use these on Nikon with an adapter.

Thanks

Pendu

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
2,930 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by davesrose.
Nov 14, 2017 09:56 |  #4

Actually, certain Nikon bodies have a menu function for enabling non-CPU lens data. Once you set it up, you'll be able to meter with the older Nikon manual lens. You have to setup each lens (defining focal length and widest aperture). You then have to select the lens each time, and since the aperture is manual, you'll need to be in manual or aperture priority. But it supports legacy manual lenses by registering the aperture you dial in to.

How to use old legacy lenses on your modern Nikon DSLR (external link)

The article mentions this feature being on the D750 and D610. Looking up D810, it appears it also has this non-cpu function. With an adapter for a Canon body, you can meter if stopped down, but it won't be as accurate.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

penduboy
THREAD ­ STARTER
302 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Nov 14, 2017 11:30 as a reply to davesrose's post |  #5

Thanks for the link Dave. Seems like I can manually feed my favorite nikon prime lenses on Nikon D810 and I am good to go. Does it also give me focus confirmation?

I don't want to use cheap adapters with focus confirmation chip on my Canon.

The disadvantage of going with Nikon for me is that

1. I have to learn new system
2. won't be able to use other legacy glass I have (M42, Canon and Olympus) though I have lot of Nikon Ai prime ranging from 24mm all the way to 200mm
3. I may or may not like Nikon DSLR as I am using Canon started with 60D, 5D Mark II and now 5D Mark III. Although I have heard good things about Nikon Cameras
4. I have to use adapters in order to mount Nikon lenses

But Nikon D810 is newer camera then my 5D. Not sure if this make any difference but I am still happy with my Mark III as it produce excellent images.

I know it is very confusing but I will appreciate any help I get from this forum.

I understand some of the benefits of using Nikon DSLR are:

1. No need of any adapter to mount Ai lenses
2. Focus confirmation within viewfinder which is huge
3. is there anything else to add????

Thanks, Pendu

Pendu

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
2,930 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Nov 14, 2017 12:07 as a reply to penduboy's post |  #6

With the non-cpu menu function, you get more accurate metering. For focus confirmation, my understanding is that you first select which AF point you want in focus. You then have to keep the focus button pressed as you manually pull the focus ring (then it confirms focus when you see a blinking green dot at the bottom). There's a better chance that you'll get metering and focus confirmation with a Nikon lens and body.

They do make mechanical adapters for going to Nikon F mount to EOS. Canon's flange distance is a bit shorter then Nikon, and since the lenses are manual, you don't need a chipped adapter. It's certainly cheaper to use one of these adapters then buying a Nikon body: might also allow you to buy more adapters for your other lens formats.

Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter (external link)

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Nov 14, 2017 12:14 |  #7

I'd be tempted to go the whole hog and look for a nice Nikon pre-AF film body at a reasonable price and try shooting with that for a while. You would have the big advantage of working with a proper focusing screen that would make manual focusing much more accurate and straightforward.

You won't need auto-exposure if you buy a cheap and cheerful light meter to go with it.

Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

tdlavigne
305 posts
Joined Mar 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by tdlavigne.
Nov 14, 2017 15:48 |  #8

Very few of the older lenses will perform well on a D810 (IQ wise). If you don't mind the softness, flares, and CA then I'd just get a cheaper Nikon body (at most a used D800, but ideally a D7000 or the likes), but if you're hoping for images that rival what you've probably seen to make you want a D810 in the first place...skip the old glass. Now again, this is without knowing what lenses you have...there's supposed to be a couple really nice gems that still perform well, but in my experience those are the ones that still sell for a pretty penny.
I've used a bunch of the cheaper ones and got blah results on a D200 and then D7000 years later. The focus confirmation dot isn't all it's cracked up to be. Works ok with wide lenses and at smaller apertures (good luck at anything wider than 2.8) and static subjects...but unless you're shooting still lifes it's going to be hit and miss.

I don't know what Canon gear you've got, but if you've got enough old AI lenses to sell that you can get a D810, I think it'd be better to just get a 5D4 (assuming you want more DR because of the D810) or a 5DSr (if you want the resolution), or even just a couple nice lenses to fill any gaps you might have.

Ah-keong
Joined Apr 2016
Nov 14, 2017 19:42 |  #9

as of today, if you do not have existing lens lineup,

the bet is to go to the Nikon D850.
if you have existing lens collection of either system, it maybe better to continue with that system.

electronics technology in camera body evolve faster than the matured technology in optics  :p

Canon 7D Mark II | BG-E16 | Canon EF-S 10-18mm | Sigma DC 18-35mm ART |
Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT |
Olympus E-PL3 | M.Zuiko ED 7-14mm PRO
Manfrotto BeFree Travel Tripod |
Tenba DNA 15 Messenger | Think Tank Photo Digital Holster 40v2.0 | Speed Changer v2.0

penduboy
THREAD ­ STARTER
302 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Nov 14, 2017 20:27 |  #10

Just to update that I have sold my 5d mark 3 today.

I am now left with canon 24–70 2.8 mark 1 lens can canon 600 ex-Rt flash plus some minor canon accessories. Which will be soon going on my local Craig’slist.

I am in Canada but/live very close to US border. In past I have ordered from BH and Adorama and eBay, etc. But seems like price for brand new D810 is still pretty high in Canada and US.

One of my local camera store quoted me for $3200 brand new but he has couple of used one foe about $2000 CAD. Should I jump on used one of wait little bit to buy brand new from US. Lowest I have seen so far in USD 2150 but it may drop further around Christmas time or even Black Friday.

I am also thinking to keep things simple and just buy Fuji Xt-20 new or used for time being.

Thanks

Pendu

penduboy
THREAD ­ STARTER
302 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Nov 14, 2017 20:30 |  #11

Ah-keong wrote in post #18496646 (external link)
as of today, if you do not have existing lens lineup,

the bet is to go to the Nikon D850.
if you have existing lens collection of either system, it maybe better to continue with that system.

electronics technology in camera body evolve faster than the matured technology in optics  :p

I guess you are right. I was blown away with the colour and contrast which old Nikon lenses are capable to produce. That is the reason, I would like to buy a camera that will work best with those Nikon lenses. 5d was giving great results but thee was no data and focus confirmation at lease without adding a chip.

Thanks

Pendu

Ah-keong
Joined Apr 2016
Nov 14, 2017 21:27 |  #12

penduboy wrote in post #18496678 (external link)
I guess you are right. I was blown away with the colour and contrast which old Nikon lenses are capable to produce. That is the reason, I would like to buy a camera that will work best with those Nikon lenses. 5d was giving great results but thee was no data and focus confirmation at lease without adding a chip.

Thanks

I was choosing Canon or Nikon body and due to the dual pixel AF, I got the Canon.
 :p

do consider full frame solution from Sony  :p

Canon 7D Mark II | BG-E16 | Canon EF-S 10-18mm | Sigma DC 18-35mm ART |
Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT |
Olympus E-PL3 | M.Zuiko ED 7-14mm PRO
Manfrotto BeFree Travel Tripod |
Tenba DNA 15 Messenger | Think Tank Photo Digital Holster 40v2.0 | Speed Changer v2.0

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2012
Bowie, MD
Post has been edited 1 month ago by EverydayGetaway.
Nov 15, 2017 01:22 |  #13

Wow, you barely even sleep on that decision, huh?

What's wrong with cheap focus confirmation adapters? Those were my go to when I was shooting a 6D, all of them worked great... in fact, I still have a few that I use to put on my EF to FX adapter/focal reducer for my Fuji's.

Before you jump the gun on buying another camera (since your 5D is already sold) consider that most modern cameras do not have easily swappable focusing screens (like the 6D and 5D/5Dii), thus you're stuck with a focusing screen that's not really optimized at all for MF, making accurate focusing much more difficult and less reliable. I don't know enough about Nikon cameras to make a recommendation there, but I would assume they have at least a few bodies with swappable focusing screens... the one I had for my 6D cost me $20 and it made life 10x easier with my MF lens collection (I shot almost entirely with MF lenses with my 6D).

As someone else noted, I would also consider going mirrorless. If you plan on using nothing but MF lenses there are huge benefits to going with a mirrorless body like the a7 lineup or an APS-C lineup with a focal reducer.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

penduboy
THREAD ­ STARTER
302 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Post has been edited 1 month ago by penduboy.
Nov 15, 2017 01:43 |  #14

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #18496811 (external link)
Wow, you barely even sleep on that decision, huh?

What's wrong with cheap focus confirmation adapters? Those were my go to when I was shooting a 6D, all of them worked great... in fact, I still have a few that I use to put on my EF to FX adapter/focal reducer for my Fuji's.

Before you jump the gun on buying another camera (since your 5D is already sold) consider that most modern cameras do not have easily swappable focusing screens (like the 6D and 5D/5Dii), thus you're stuck with a focusing screen that's not really optimized at all for MF, making accurate focusing much more difficult and less reliable. I don't know enough about Nikon cameras to make a recommendation there, but I would assume they have at least a few bodies with swappable focusing screens... the one I had for my 6D cost me $20 and it made life 10x easier with my MF lens collection (I shot almost entirely with MF lenses with my 6D).

As someone else noted, I would also consider going mirrorless. If you plan on using nothing but MF lenses there are huge benefits to going with a mirrorless body like the a7 lineup or an APS-C lineup with a focal reducer.

Sorry, my camera was already listed on local Craigslist before I posted this thread and someone just offered me what I have been asking for. I was unable to refuse the offer and ended up selling my camera that was purchased back in 2015.

I am also considering Mirrorless but instead of investing in Sony full frame, I would like to try cheaper crop sensor camera either from Sony, Fuji or Olympus. Just want to make sure if I really like Mirrorless form factor and how that feel in my big hands.

Thanks

Pendu

Buick ­ M
Joined Jan 2015
Nov 19, 2017 02:11 as a reply to penduboy's post |  #15

Get yourself a sony A7 series and some nikon and canon adapters. Manual focus is pretty easy with the A7. I been using old nikon and canon lenses amd they are pretty amazing for being old.

sponsored links

657 views & 2 likes for this thread
Canon or Nikon Full Frame camera
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.