Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera
Thread started 14 Nov 2017 (Tuesday) 04:01
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon New/Used No Gear Suggestions?

jcsurfkings
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Nov 2017
Pismo Beach, CA. USA
Nov 14, 2017 04:01 |  #1

Hi!

First off I would just like to say hi! I am somewhat new to the boards here. I was here years ago and had a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTI That I sold. I did no shoot much for many reasons at that time. I am looking to get a Canon again now New or Used. Been looking at the XTI which I had and XSI or 40D etc.

Budget body and kit lens around $200 to $300 just want to start shooting again. Would be mostly taking photos at the beach, sunset and some actions shots (surfing)

Any suggestions and why would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Thank You

Jeff

sponsored links
Eric ­ Hopp
Joined Apr 2017
Campbell, CA, USA
Nov 14, 2017 13:06 |  #2

If you are on a tight budget of $200-$300, I'd say get a Canon 40D camera body, paired with either a Canon 18-55mm, 28-105mm, or a 28-135mm lens. The Canon 40D body will sell at around $150, and each of the lenses will go for $100 - $150. That will keep you within your $300 budget. if you could spring $100 more, then look at the Canon telephotos--either a EF-S 55-250mm, or a 75-300 non-L telephoto for surfing shots.

My first digital SLR camera was a Canon 40D and 18-55mm lens. It was good for a year of general interest shooting, until I could save up for the EF 28-105mm lens. That lens was a workhorse lens for three years of shooting everything from flowers, parades and protests, until I finally upgraded to the 24-105mm f4L lens. I still shoot with my 40D. For a 10-year-old camera, it still produces beautiful images.

These images were taken with a Canon 40D, EF 28-105mm lens, at the San Francisco Latina Festival, May 2017. I'm playing with Lightroom post-production, and I'm not sure if I am good at it--at least not yet.

We all have to start somewhere.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Left Handed Brisket.
Nov 14, 2017 13:37 |  #3

http://canonpricewatch​.com/ (external link)

^^^ keep an eye out for a canon refurb sale.

or just go ahead and buy something like this when it comes back in stock: https://shop.usa.canon​.com ...300mm-stm-kit-refurbished (external link)

but if you wait you might get a great deal. I purchased that same kit for 280 bucks last year at this time of year, seems like list price back then was in the low 400s.

40D is a fine camera, but buying an old camera is kinda taking a chance, IMO. It could last years and years, it could die in a week. Plus, at some point, canon stops servicing their older gear.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Post has been edited 1 month ago by kf095.
Nov 14, 2017 15:15 |  #4

Beach and surfing? Go Pro has new camera now under 200$.

And I totally support the idea what DSLRs are great for dancing ladies on the street or indoors :-D.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Nov 14, 2017 16:18 |  #5

jcsurfkings wrote in post #18495985 (external link)
Hi!

First off I would just like to say hi! I am somewhat new to the boards here. I was here years ago and had a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTI That I sold. I did no shoot much for many reasons at that time. I am looking to get a Canon again now New or Used. Been looking at the XTI which I had and XSI or 40D etc.

Budget body and kit lens around $200 to $300 just want to start shooting again. Would be mostly taking photos at the beach, sunset and some actions shots (surfing)

Any suggestions and why would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Thank You

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

40D can be had around $125. Just shop a while, fleabay, FredMiranda, here on POTN, etc. Great camera still, robust, good AF (surfing), plenty of modern stuff still going on, very relevant camera still.

The 18-55 STM can be had around $80 used, again shop. Great for your every day stuff.

The 55-250 STM would be excellent for surfing, long range stuff, in good light (sun). Can be had around $160~180, again, if you shop used and just hunt a deal.

You'd be quite set, with extra batteries, for $400 or less with excellent sharp glass that is fast to focus too.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link) :: Canon 17-40L For Sale! $380!

jcsurfkings
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Nov 2017
Pismo Beach, CA. USA
Nov 14, 2017 22:59 |  #6

Hi!

I just this on the Canon site https://shop.usa.canon​.com ...-56-is-ii-kit-refurbished (external link)

That is doable in my price range.

What do you all think?

Thank You

Jeff

jcsurfkings
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Nov 2017
Pismo Beach, CA. USA
Nov 15, 2017 02:25 as a reply to Left Handed Brisket's post |  #7

Hi!

Rebel SL1 or T5? What is the difference? Or I can get a T6 maybe?

Thank You

Jeff

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Nov 15, 2017 05:59 |  #8

Do yourself a favour and stay away from the Canon 75-300mm lens options. I got the 75-300 USM III back when I first got my 300D (original Rebel in the US) and was not unhappy when it went missing. I actually replaced it with a Sigma 28-300 super zoom that was better quality through the common range of focal lengths. The 75-300's don't have the reputation of being the worst optical quality lens that Canon makes for nothing. The 55-250 hadn't been released at that point IIRC, so the 75-300 was the only option I had to get camera, 18-55, plus a telephoto zoom, with memory card and tripod for £1000. This was new kit back in 2005.

Although you lose 50mm off the long end, the loss of resolution with the 300mm won't make any difference, you will still be able to crop to match the 300mm field of view without loss of image quality. The other advantage that you get with the 55-250 is that it has image stabilization. IS can be really important when you have to use a lower than desired shutter speed. Although IS doesn't help with subject movement, it does help with camera shake, and with the older bodies having lower maximum ISOs you are more likely to run into situations where you are running out of shutter speed. If you are careful you can actually make a little subject motion blur work for you, in emphasising the movement, as long as you can avoid camera shake.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Left Handed Brisket.
Nov 15, 2017 08:04 |  #9

BigAl007 wrote in post #18496912 (external link)
Do yourself a favour and stay away from the Canon 75-300mm lens options. I got the 75-300 USM III back when I first got my 300D (original Rebel in the US) and was not unhappy when it went missing. I actually replaced it with a Sigma 28-300 super zoom that was better quality through the common range of focal lengths. The 75-300's don't have the reputation of being the worst optical quality lens that Canon makes for nothing.

in that bundle it ends up adding 40 bucks to the cost, well worth it.

maybe the copy i received was an anomaly, but I thought on a crop camera it was a pretty good value. Before I received it I had already made a deal with a buddy to buy it, otherwise I would have been more than happy with it.

I sold it for 80 bucks and my XSi + 18-55 IS USM for 200 or 225 and ended up with a new camera and 18-55 STM lens at no cost.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by Left Handed Brisket. 3 edits done in total.
Nov 15, 2017 08:10 |  #10

jcsurfkings wrote in post #18496748 (external link)
Hi!

Thank You for your repley. I just saw a Canon EOS Rebel T1i go for about $180 with Canon EF-S IS 18-55mm Lens.

What is the i? in the T1i?

Any reason to go with or stay away from the Rebel series?

Photos look good by the way.

Thank You

Jeff

I don't follow the rebel line too closely but the "i" series are going to be a little better/newer tech.

IMO, the SL or T series are going to provide very similar image quality, the difference is going to be in features. Although I think i would stick with a T series with an i

again, i don't follow that line too closely.

www.the-digital-picture.com (external link) is a great place for unbiased reviews of canon gear.

kmilo
178 posts
Joined Nov 2009
Albany, NY
Nov 15, 2017 08:20 |  #11

Just chiming in to say the 50D has micro focus adjust ... the 40D does not. That feature isn't a gimmick, and it's worth your time to find a 50D rather than a 40D. And keep in the mind they took that feature out of the 60D, then put it back in on the 70D and 80D. The rebel series does not have this feature.

Kris
I can barely afford this hobby. flickr (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Nov 15, 2017 08:24 |  #12

kmilo wrote in post #18496964 (external link)
Just chiming in to say the 50D has micro focus adjust ... the 40D does not. That feature isn't a gimmick, and it's worth your time to find a 50D rather than a 40D. And keep in the mind they took that feature out of the 60D, then put it back in on the 70D and 80D. The rebel series does not have this feature.

i agree that it can be a valuable feature. However, if you are shooting with glass that has a max aperture of 3.5-5.6, it becomes WAY less important, maybe even irrelevant ... in some cases.

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
13,835 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Nov 15, 2017 08:52 |  #13

with that much money, I'de just save up a little more.

while not the best surfing camera, I'de get the old 5Dc if on a really tight budget. ($300-400)

for a budget lens for portraits and general, tamron 28-75 f2.8 ($100-200)

for surfing, maybe 100-400/150-600 ($600+)

the beautiful files from the 5Dc.... you will love.

Sony A7rii/A7riii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - CV 35/1.7 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4 - Tamron 28-75 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 VC

jcsurfkings
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Nov 2017
Pismo Beach, CA. USA
Nov 15, 2017 23:45 as a reply to MalVeauX's post |  #14

Hi!

You mention the 18-55 STM. What is STM?

Thank You

Jeff

jcsurfkings
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Nov 2017
Pismo Beach, CA. USA
Nov 15, 2017 23:48 as a reply to Charlie's post |  #15

Hi!

So you don't think the T6 I posted a link to is a good deal or good for my needs? I want to take some surfing, but most would be ocean and beach landscapes and sunset that if and when I shot a nice one would like to be able to blow it up to a decent size.

Thank You all again for all of your input and suggestions.

Thank You

Jeff

sponsored links

872 views & 5 likes for this thread
Canon New/Used No Gear Suggestions?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.