Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera
Thread started 14 Nov 2017 (Tuesday) 04:01
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon New/Used No Gear Suggestions?

kmilo
177 posts
Joined Nov 2009
Albany, NY
Nov 16, 2017 06:18 as a reply to post 18497568 |  #16

Canon's Stepper Motor technology. Canon introduced this motor design to be a quieter and smoother focus system that allows for near silent focus during video recording.

Kris
I can barely afford this hobby. flickr (external link)

sponsored links
TreeburnerCT
Joined Dec 2016
Stratford, CT, USA
Nov 16, 2017 07:53 |  #17

The Canon T6 you're looking at is a decent camera but as others have mentioned it's missing Micro Focus Adjust (MFA) which can help a lot to make adjustments to fix front or back focusing. I would second the recommendation to go for the Canon EOS 50D as it has MFA and also Live View mode which can be very useful especially for people used to smartphone cameras. I would also agree about the 18-55 IS STM and the 55-250 IS STM (got mine used for $65 on ebay) but if you can find one within your budget the Canon 18-135mm IS STM gives more reach, focuses quickly and accurately, and produces great quality images.

Either way welcome back to the hobby!

-Joe

RapidPhotoCT.com (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Facebook (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Instagram (external link)

jcsurfkings
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Nov 2017
Pismo Beach, CA. USA
Post has been last edited 25 days ago by jcsurfkings. 3 edits done in total.
Nov 17, 2017 03:20 as a reply to TreeburnerCT's post |  #18

Hi!

Thank You very much!!!!! How about the T1i or 60D or T5?

Thank You

Jeff

TreeburnerCT
Joined Dec 2016
Stratford, CT, USA
Nov 20, 2017 21:46 |  #19

I don't think any of those have Micro Focus Adjustment, but you have to gauge how much you need that feature. The higher MP the sensor the larger the files and the more room you have to crop, and touchscreen and Live View make taking photos at weird angles much easier. Consider what you'll be shooting and the features you value most and balance that with your budget, if you get into the hobby you can always resell and upgrade later.

-Joe

RapidPhotoCT.com (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Facebook (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Instagram (external link)

Scottboarding
Joined May 2016
Dec 03, 2017 17:34 |  #20

jcsurfkings wrote in post #18498351 (external link)
Hi!

Thank You very much!!!!! How about the T1i or 60D or T5?

Thank You

Jeff

Out of those three, definitely the 60D. It has the best autofocus and burst rate of the three which are the two most important things for surfing (or any action). The T series, without the i at the end, are extremely bare bones. The autofocus is less than great, and the burst rates are very low. The T2i would be a much bigger upgrade from the T1i, but still not on the level of the 60D.

Olympus E-M1 - Mitakon 25mm f0.95 - Olympus 25mm f1.8 - Olympus 17mm f1.8
Nikon FM2n - Nikon Ai-s 28mm f2.8 - Nikon Ai 50mm f1.4
Ricoh GRii

Columbia
33 posts
Joined Nov 2017
International Space Station
Dec 03, 2017 22:08 |  #21

I would watch Craigslist closely for a used xxD. Preferably 60D or newer. Better AF, frame rate, and features than a Rebel series. That being said I would put the camera second to the lenses. Definitely prioritise finding good glass. It's going to make the visual difference most people seek when wanting a DSLR.

ksbal
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
N.E. Kansas
Post has been edited 6 days ago by ksbal.
Dec 07, 2017 11:18 as a reply to jcsurfkings's post |  #22

the t6 you linked to will do just fine. it does have all 9 cross point af. While it doesn't have the micro adjust, I dont' think that will be critical to your wife's photography at the moment. 50D doesn't have movie mode either. Lens selection will do more for you at this point, but start with that kit and have fun!

YN622 English User Guide/Manual by Clive
https://drive.google.c​om ...Ig0gMMzZFaDVlZ1VNTE​0/view (external link)

sponsored links

837 views & 5 likes for this thread
Canon New/Used No Gear Suggestions?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.