Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 14 Nov 2017 (Tuesday) 08:15
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Trigger OCF using on camera flash

ready2go
Joined Oct 2012
Nov 14, 2017 08:15 |  #1

I have a Sony a6500 and want to trigger a Canon YN 560 III. Would it be possible to use the on camera flash to trigger the YN but not have the on camera flash to effect the image? Meaning, Using the on camera flash to solely trigger and not light the subject. Slave mode triggers the flash, but also lights the subject with the on camera flash.

6D, 70D, Pancake lens, Nifty Fifty, Sigma 50 Art, Canon 135LL IS, YN560 III

sponsored links
OceanRipple*
748 posts
Joined Dec 2014
Nov 14, 2017 08:56 |  #2

ready2go wrote in post #18496093 (external link)
I have a Sony a6500 and want to trigger a Canon YN 560 III. Would it be possible to use the on camera flash to trigger the YN but not have the on camera flash to effect the image? Meaning, Using the on camera flash to solely trigger and not light the subject. Slave mode triggers the flash, but also lights the subject with the on camera flash.

An IR-Pass filter in front of your in-cam flash - then - Yn 560 III set to S1 or S2 - the latter if there are any pre-flashes (S1 working would be preferred).

ready2go
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2012
Nov 14, 2017 11:03 as a reply to OceanRipple*'s post |  #3

Was hoping for an easier way. Perhaps I can use a long telephoto and bounce the flash so that it wont reach the subject but put the ocf closer to the subject and lighting as desired?

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Nov 14, 2017 11:48 |  #4

Or, use inexpensive manual radio transmitters? They're as cheap as $15.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

ready2go
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2012
Nov 14, 2017 12:54 as a reply to MalVeauX's post |  #5

YN flashes are for Canon and I'm switching to Sony. What triggers could I use?

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Nov 14, 2017 16:09 |  #6

ready2go wrote in post #18496323 (external link)
YN flashes are for Canon and I'm switching to Sony. What triggers could I use?

If you're just doing manual, RF603's work on practically anything (they're not specific to a system). They're $15.

I use them interchangeably on Canon, Fuji, etc.

Pretty sure they work for your needs. But make sure they do indeed function for Sony. This is all assuming you are shooting manual flash/strobe.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Nov 14, 2017 17:15 |  #7

You can try a Godox X system Canon receiver with Sony X1T transmitter. That may give you TTL along with manual.
Otherwise, I'd just get Sony variant Godox X system speedlites. And then grow the X system to suit your needs.
I happen to have a number of Godox (Cheetah) X system speedlites for Sony that I'm selling since I converted to Fuji. Let me know if you're interested.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Nov 14, 2017 18:25 |  #8

ready2go wrote in post #18496221 (external link)
Was hoping for an easier way. Perhaps I can use a long telephoto and bounce the flash so that it wont reach the subject but put the ocf closer to the subject and lighting as desired?

That sounds like a lot more trouble than it's worth. Buy some cheap generic flash guns instead.

Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

ready2go
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2012
Nov 15, 2017 09:47 |  #9

Had no clue but the flashes and trigger works just fine on sony. Just full manual which is fine by me.

sponsored links

402 views & 3 likes for this thread
Trigger OCF using on camera flash
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.