Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 14 Nov 2017 (Tuesday) 12:36
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Starting to work out parts for a new tower build

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,206 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Sandy, Oregon
Post has been edited 28 days ago by Littlejon Dsgn.
Nov 15, 2017 13:00 |  #16

Yea the Corsair 750D has an upgrade for the front panel that takes it to 3.1 but now I need to go double check specs on the MB.

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,206 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Sandy, Oregon
Nov 17, 2017 10:29 |  #17

If you were choosing between the MSI z370 SLI Plus and the Asus X99 Aii which route would you go, or would you go a different way all together? The differences from what I can tell are small. I believe the Asus will allow up to 128gb of RAM which is nice for future proofing (not putting that amount in now but nice to know I could if needs ever changed). However the MSI has two M.2 slots where Asus only has 1.

Dimitris
281 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Nov 20, 2017 00:09 |  #18

You might want to consider one of these quiet cases like Define R5 and the like.

http://www.dimitriszer​vas.com/external link

-dave-m-
Joined Sep 2011
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Nov 20, 2017 07:23 |  #19

Littlejon Dsgn wrote in post #18498501 (external link)
If you were choosing between the MSI z370 SLI Plus and the Asus X99 Aii which route would you go, or would you go a different way all together? The differences from what I can tell are small. I believe the Asus will allow up to 128gb of RAM which is nice for future proofing (not putting that amount in now but nice to know I could if needs ever changed). However the MSI has two M.2 slots where Asus only has 1.

X99 is an outdated platform and has been replaced by X299. Between X99 and Z370 I would go Z370. X series platforms are considered HEDT(High End Desk Top) and are generally geared towards high core count CPU's and larger amounts of RAM more useful in workstations and video editing.

5D MkII Gripped | 7D MkII Gripped | 200 f/2.8L | 17-40 f/4L | Σ 24-105 OS f/4 Art | Σ 50 f/1.4 Art | Σ 150-600 OS f/5-6.3 C | 430EX II

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,206 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Sandy, Oregon
Dec 12, 2017 10:49 |  #20

Ok so after a few weeks of looking, reading, looking again, and more reading I have come to this as the final specs and what I have started purchasing. Please if you see something that will not work please let me know. I know some of this will be overkill and thats ok, some of it is for aesthetic reasons and some just to have a high performing system.

CPU - Intel Core i7 8700K
MB - Asus Prime Z370-A
M.2 - Samsung 960 Evo Series - 1TB PCIe NVMe (Working Data)
M.2 - Samsung 960 Evo Series - 500GB NVMe (OS, Programs)
Spinning Drives - Use existing
Ram - Corsair LPX 32GB (2x16gb) 3200MHz C16 DDR4 DRAM Memory Kit White
Video Card - Asus Dual GTX1070-08G
Power Supply - Corsair RMx Series RM850x
CPU Cooler - Noctua NH D15S (Going to run without the fan and use passive cooling from the case fans)
Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass

846 views & 1 like for this thread
Starting to work out parts for a new tower build
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.