Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands
Thread started 15 Nov 2017 (Wednesday) 09:51
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Fuji vs Sony vs Olympus

kma16
76 posts
Joined Feb 2015
Nov 15, 2017 09:51 |  #1

I'm currently shooting with an Olympus em10, mainly for personal work, portraits, event photography. I'm thinking of upgrading, would you suggest a complete switch and going with the Fuji xt2, sony a7 or is there a better upgrade while sticking with olympus?

sponsored links
Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
13,833 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Nov 15, 2017 10:29 |  #2

it really just depends on your budget.

X-T2 16-55 f2.8 + 50-150 f2.8 = mucho dinero
An A7ii + 24-70GM + 70-200GM = mucho mucho dinero

My passion is in landscapes, so I like shooting a high MP camera, however, it's also superb for portraits.

There are subtle differences, buy what you can afford ;-)a

Sony A7rii/A7riii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - CV 35/1.7 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4 - Tamron 28-75 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 VC

gremlin75
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2011
Detroit, MI
Nov 15, 2017 11:24 |  #3

kma16 wrote in post #18497035 (external link)
I'm thinking of upgrading, would you suggest a complete switch and going with the Fuji xt2, sony a7 or is there a better upgrade while sticking with olympus?

What is the em10 not doing that you want?

Is it something that upgrading to a newer or different Olympus body will give you? Is it something that can be fixed with higher end glass?

So yeah, I can suggest a complete switch to one system or another all day long. However it didn't mean that it's a good suggestion since we don't know what's wrong with your current system it!

Osa713
Joined Jun 2011
Houston, TX
Nov 15, 2017 12:49 |  #4

gremlin75 wrote in post #18497115 (external link)
What is the em10 not doing that you want?

Is it something that upgrading to a newer or different Olympus body will give you? Is it something that can be fixed with higher end glass?

So yeah, I can suggest a complete switch to one system or another all day long. However it didn't mean that it's a good suggestion since we don't know what's wrong with your current system it!

Preach...

LIGHT>LENS>BODY

kma16
THREAD ­ STARTER
76 posts
Joined Feb 2015
Nov 15, 2017 13:06 as a reply to gremlin75's post |  #5

very true. just looking for better bokeh, fast shutter for quick moving kids, low light capabilities, i am coming from a dslr so maybe you are right and should look into better glass.

gremlin75
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2011
Detroit, MI
Nov 15, 2017 14:20 |  #6

kma16 wrote in post #18497210 (external link)
very true. just looking for better bokeh, fast shutter for quick moving kids, low light capabilities, i am coming from a dslr so maybe you are right and should look into better glass.

What glass do you currently have?

By "better bokeh" do you mean better quality of the out if focus areas or just more more blur in the out of focus areas?

I'm going to guess that you mean more blur. If that is the case then larger apertures, longer focal lengths, less distance between you and your subject, and more distance between your subject and the background can all give you more background blur.

For faster shutter speeds your you'll need larger apertures to let in more light. If you're currently using something like the 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 then switching to the 12-40mm f2.8 will give you two stops of light on the long end (and also decreasing your depth of field) increasing your SS from 1/60 at f5.6 to 1/250 at f2.8 (@40mm). But those two stops of light will cost you an extra $700.

Primes normally come with even larger apertures so the increase in SS and decrease in DOF will be even greater (at the same focal length)

rantercsr
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2014
Nov 15, 2017 14:58 |  #7

Omd em1 markii will give you better AF.
if you want to stay Olympus .. however its not cheap (for a m4/3)
i'm not sure how it stacks up against your current Olympus in low light .. but at the end of the day its still a m4/3 sensor and I believe at the moment ISO 3200 is usable but kind of pushing the word "usable"
i'm not totally familiar with Olympus glass but I know theres a 45mm f1.7(or 8) that a lot of m4/3 users love for its bokeh , sharpness and cost... and of course they've got there m.zuiko pro glass that are pretty impressive .. quality build and image..

I think Olympus can work for all of what you mentioned you wanted ,, low light would be the challenge.

unless you just want to switch systems

Canon 5DIV*T4i/10-18/24 f2.8/ 35 f1.4Lii /50 f1.4/ 85 f1.8
Pentax k1000* k50 f2*135 f2.
Fuji XT2 // 23 f2/ 50 f2
https://www.instagram.​com/shotbypops/ (external link) MYflickr (external link)

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Post has been last edited 13 days ago by kf095. 2 edits done in total.
Dec 04, 2017 21:50 |  #8

4/3 sensor for portraits and events, as assignment... I'm impressed! I chicked out then first OM-D came...

"just looking for better bokeh, fast shutter for quick moving kids, low light capabilities, i am coming from a dslr so maybe you are right and should look into better glass".

First, are the kids from the Incredibles for real? I took kids photos for years. And still taking... None of them are fast moving, even 28 YO. :)

Low light capabilities is very simple, the bigger sensor is the less noise on higher ISO is. And it has to be as modern as possible. If possible :)
I recently compared first 6D and first A7 (they are near at the price and still available new). 6D is the winner from ISO6400. I didn't check latest Sony sensors, because their price is behind of reasonable for me and I'm not impressed with Sony lenses and for Sony lenses at all.

Where are very well established, patriarh photographers who switched to Fuji and finding it good enough. And Fuji makes great lenses, IMO, as well. Like 35 1.4. I spend days looking at images taken with this lens.

I would suggest Fuji X Pro 2. It has not so old sensor and it has optical viewfinder in the corner. This is what I like with kids, events or just to guff around. My face and my eye are open. With VF in the middle I'm limited and with EVF is is even more distracting with fast moving things. I have to focus on the screen first to see if camera is actually focusing :)

Sorry to have some fun here. But it is real blessing to be able to use small camera and lenses for assignments. And it is cool.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

sponsored links

417 views & 1 like for this thread
Fuji vs Sony vs Olympus
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.