Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 16 Nov 2017 (Thursday) 09:50
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

New laptop in the plans, 8th generation Coffee Lake processor?

TFred
81 posts
Joined Oct 2012
Nov 16, 2017 09:50 |  #1

Hi all. I know squat about computers, below is what I have learned recently.

Time to upgrade my pc laptop for new sub-hobby to photography; video (for now, using Canon 60D and new Lumix FZ2500); would stay with pc and laptop. I would like the laptop to handle up to serious amatuer level video editing; will start out with PowerDirector software but may upgrade in the future.
Per advertising, the new intel 8th generation coffee lake processors (six core i7, i5) offer a big jump in editing speed from 7th gen processors (4 core); with minimal price increase. My budget is at $1500. I get the impression that what works for gaming also is what would work for video editing? A few questions...

-any concerns that these new 8th gen coffee lake processors are too new, may have bugs to work out? If yes, is it worth waiting until next year some time?
-should I go for the top i7 8700, or the i5 8600 which reviews seem to like better for gaming?
-some laptops come with both an HDD and SSD drive. Is that a benefit? I.e. why not just a large SSD, or HDD? And how large?
-I am thinking there will not likely be discounts on 8th generation laptops, that is ok. However if there may be discounts this year yet, when would they come out and from where?
-any recommendations on video card (specific to video editing) if there are options?
-if you were to buy a new computer, where from?
-any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks ahead of time !!

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
Joined Oct 2010
Nov 16, 2017 10:50 |  #2

TFred wrote in post #18497760 (external link)
-some laptops come with both an HDD and SSD drive. Is that a benefit? I.e. why not just a large SSD, or HDD? And how large?

I asked the same question. Look here at post number 5, Jake answers the question...

http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​488424

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
Joined Oct 2010
Nov 16, 2017 10:54 |  #3

Oh, I forgot...Dell makes a few 8th gen laptops. You might want to check these Dell Black Friday deals...

http://deals.dell.com/​category/laptops (external link)

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,262 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 25 days ago by Wilt. 3 edits done in total.
Nov 16, 2017 11:04 |  #4

The microprocessor companies make a big thing of the number of cores...they do not tell folks that unless an application is WRITTEN FOR MULTICORE processors, it will not take advantage of the processing power!!! A CPU with two cores, for example, could run two different processes at the same time. This speeds up your system, because your computer can do multiple things at once. But what SIX different things (or even FOUR -- at the same time) would your computer be doing, that use the multiple processors?!

While the concept of multiple core processors seems appealing, in order for the true benefits of the multiple processors to be seen, the software that is running on the computer must be written to support multithreading. Without the software supporting such a feature, threads will be primarily run through a single core thus degrading the efficiency...if it can only run on a single core in a quad core processor, it may actually be faster to run it on a dual-core processor with higher base clock speeds. All of the major current operating systems have multithreading capability, but the multithreading must also be written into the application software...and a single core can support typically two threads.

As for multiple cores, many games still have very little performance difference between two and four cores. As of today (Q4'2017) there are essentially no games that see tangible benefits from beyond four processor cores.
So if you are a gamer, and if you are running a game (that only uses two cores) while you are waiting for your RAW convertor to output 1000 JPG files on your Windows machine, you might use four cores.
Otherwise, don't become enamored of the number of cores...processor cycle rate gives you better performance for a single task.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

316 views & 1 like for this thread
New laptop in the plans, 8th generation Coffee Lake processor?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.