Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 16 Nov 2017 (Thursday) 15:00
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

RAM Question

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,208 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Sandy, Oregon
Nov 16, 2017 15:00 |  #1

If doing 95% Lightroom and Photoshop work on a new machine just how much RAM is needed. I planned to drop 64gb in and call it good. Wondering if I need to spend that money or not, I dont mind overkill but if it will never go above 32 then I can put that money elsewhere. Will more RAM help keep LR and PS running smooth while having Youtube and other applications open on a second screen?

Also is it better to have say 4x8gb sticks vs 2x16gb sticks? And lastly I am assuming having a higher MHz rating is better as well.

sponsored links
joedlh
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2007
Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.
Nov 16, 2017 15:41 |  #2

I've used Photoshop CS5 with 8gb with no discernible issues. I can't vouch the subscription version.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​texternal link
Editing ok

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2010
Chula Vista, CA
Nov 16, 2017 16:01 |  #3

Well, I can say that running C1 and Ps, or Lr and Ps, I can max out the ram on my machine pretty quickly (16gb).

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

-dave-m-
Joined Sep 2011
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Nov 16, 2017 18:08 |  #4

I currently use Ps/Lr on three different custom built PC's, two of them have 32 GB RAM and one has 16 GB, I do not notice any difference. If I was building a PC today I would opt for 32 GB in a 2 X 16 kit, leaving room to upgrade down the road if needed.

5D MkII Gripped | 7D MkII Gripped | 200 f/2.8L | 17-40 f/4L | Σ 24-105 OS f/4 Art | Σ 50 f/1.4 Art | Σ 150-600 OS f/5-6.3 C | 430EX II

tim
Light Bringer
50,869 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Nov 16, 2017 18:44 |  #5

16GB is fine. No real reason to go higher.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,280 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Wilt.
Nov 16, 2017 19:48 |  #6

tim wrote in post #18498139 (external link)

^

Even now, it seems that even for gamers, going >16GB is largely going to be wasted money. If all you are doing is image editing 8GB is enough, and for video work 16GB is enough.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

iAMB
838 posts
Joined Mar 2009
St. Louis
Post has been edited 1 month ago by iAMB.
Nov 16, 2017 20:13 |  #7

Would installing the programs on a SSD also increase their speed, or is that speed only noticeable on startup? I need to give my Mac Pro 5 some new RAM and Harddrives. Essentially start fresh. Sorry to hijack if I did.

Canon 6D Mk I
24-70mm F/4L , 70-200mm F/4L , 50mm 1.8 I , Rokinon 14mm F/2.8 & 35mm F/1.4
"I'm so far behind, it looks like I'm winning"
-Adam

Chet
For $20, I'll be your friend.
41,739 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Chet.
Nov 16, 2017 20:17 |  #8

I have an Asus laptop running LR CC with 8gb. I have no issues with it. I use plenty of brushes and gradients which would tend to slow LR down without any problems.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,208 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Sandy, Oregon
Nov 16, 2017 20:53 |  #9

iAMB wrote in post #18498186 (external link)
Would installing the programs on a SSD also increase their speed, or is that speed only noticeable on startup? I need to give my Mac Pro 5 some new RAM and Harddrives. Essentially start fresh. Sorry to hijack if I did.

Nope your good :)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2010
Chula Vista, CA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Scatterbrained.
Nov 17, 2017 01:19 |  #10

Wilt wrote in post #18498172 (external link)
^

Even now, it seems that even for gamers, going >16GB is largely going to be wasted money. If all you are doing is image editing 8GB is enough, and for video work 16GB is enough.

I think it depends on what you shoot and how you edit. I shoot a 42mp camera, often edit several images together to compare variations on compositions with the same editing, and I stream music and surf the web while editing. Looking right now I'm at 14.3GB used and I'm just getting started. I've maxed out the 16GB of ram on my system plenty of times just going back and forth between C1, Ps, Lr, and Firefox. My next build will certainly see more than 16GB of ram.

Edit: this is my ram usage working 2 image in Ps, with C1 going and firefox, and Amazon Music player.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

tdlavigne
305 posts
Joined Mar 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Nov 17, 2017 03:58 |  #11

24gb was the sweet spot for me. Had 16gb, and I could manage to bog the machine down if I tried...but not often. Never had it happen with 24gb...all other things being equal (processor, ssd's, and graphics card). RAM is fairly cheap though, especially as you buy in bigger quantities. I'd go 32 just for future proofing if nothing else.

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,208 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Sandy, Oregon
Nov 17, 2017 07:26 |  #12

Ok so 32 minimum is what I decided since I to often have several images open in PS (last night I brought a batch of 12 in from LR). Also I tend to have youtube or Amazon music going along with other browsing windows and word or excel open as well.

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,553 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by RDKirk.
Nov 17, 2017 07:52 |  #13

I have 16 gigs, and I can max it out running Photoshop, Premiere Pro, After Effects, and Outlook, and a video on Chrome at the same time.

Running less than that, no problem.

Pay close attention to how you apportion your ram to the Adobe products. Be sure to leave enough ram for the non-Adobe products to run--the Adobe products will usually play nicely with each other in their own sandbox.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2012
Bowie, MD
Nov 17, 2017 08:09 |  #14

Littlejon Dsgn wrote in post #18498413 (external link)
Ok so 32 minimum is what I decided since I to often have several images open in PS (last night I brought a batch of 12 in from LR). Also I tend to have youtube or Amazon music going along with other browsing windows and word or excel open as well.

Keep in mind that people are saying their maxing out 16gb of RAM on their systems with multiple apps and multiple edits going on at once... 32gb is twice the amount of RAM, it's abundant for any photo editing application.

Only pointing it out because you used the word "minimum". I wouldn't do more than 32gb of RAM (personally I wouldn't even do more than 16gb due to current DDR4 prices), you'd basically be burning your money beyond 32gb for your needs.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,237 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Nov 17, 2017 08:28 |  #15

tim wrote in post #18498139 (external link)

It also helps to have the system pagefile and the scratchdisk on separate drives from the OS, if physical drives, or on a(n) SSD.

A single physical spinning drive for everything is a disaster when the memory allocation gets higher than about 150% of RAM.

I have the pagefile and scratchdisk on the same SSD, not even a newer, fast one, on my 10-year-old desktop, and barely notice when swapping or "scratching" occurs.

A 150 megabyte/second spinning drive can drop to a few megabytes/sec while doing multiple real-time reads. Writes can be saved (cached) for later; reads can not be cached much in real time, unless they are repetitions of recent reads still in the cache.

sponsored links

757 views & 1 like for this thread
RAM Question
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.