Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup
Thread started 17 Nov 2017 (Friday) 09:39
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Missing Files on SD Card

pictureperf
Joined Sep 2010
Buffalo, NY
Nov 17, 2017 09:39 |  #1

Canon 6D shooting in RAW only and using the Canon Camera Connect software on an Android phone. I saved some photos to the phone like i always do so I can show people their images, etc. so i know i had the images. But when i downloaded the photos i noticed some, including the ones i downloaded on the phone were not on the card. By the image numbers its missing like 50 files! YIKES!! i 2x checked the card, since i havent formatted it yet, and there are 50 files missing, and you can tell by the time date theres a half hour missing. I knew i had them on the card originally since i downloaded some onto the phone. I do remember changing cards as i was asked to do video once i got there but it was too dark, and i wasnt hired to do video anyway. I checked the other cards i have and no luck.

Could a card drop files? If i didnt have them on my phone it would not be such a mystery, but i know i had them originally.

have an important job this weekend so i am not using that card, and hope its not a camera issue...
thought appreciated.
thanks!

Beauty is in the eye of the checkbook holder...

sponsored links
John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,510 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been last edited 29 days ago by John from PA. 3 edits done in total.
Nov 17, 2017 14:32 |  #2

If you reinsert the card into the camera body, can you see the images that you think are missing? Also, what brand/model card? Many card manufacturers have card specific recovery software. Often the recovery software is free but you likely need an "activation" code that came with the card. That is the case for Lexar's Image Rescue software (http://www.lexar.fr/im​agerescue (external link)). Sandisk's RescuePro can be found at http://www.lc-tech.com ...pro-and-rescuepro-deluxe/ (external link).

There is also something called Recuva (http://www.piriform.co​m/recuva (external link)) that some people use.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been last edited 29 days ago by Left Handed Brisket. 2 edits done in total.
Nov 17, 2017 14:48 |  #3

i had the same happen with my 6D. In fact, maybe I'm dreaming, but it seems like I saw someone else post about it too.

I downloaded Image Rescue 5 and was able to locate and pull all the missing files off of the card.

I had 99 or a hundred missing files, but, to the best of my recollection, had not been messing with my iPhone before doing it.

edit: actually, it looks like i pulled 111 files off the bad card and the time stamps show they were shot within an hour (mostly 5 shot brackets) one morning.

i stopped using that card too, and haven't noticed anything like that since.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

pictureperf
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2010
Buffalo, NY
Nov 18, 2017 09:15 as a reply to Left Handed Brisket's post |  #4

fOUND THE PROBLEM! i put the card i switched to back in the camera and the images were on another card, BUT they did not show up in Windows Explorer until i sorted for date. There were other images on the card from an earlier date and initially Windows File Ex. only showed images from the previous date. I dont really know why they wouldnt show up in File Explorer until i sorted them for date, seems like they would have shown up without doing that. At least i know nothing is wrong with the camera or the cards.... NOw if i can only get that 600 ex rt to fire 100% of the time LOL!!

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,510 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Nov 18, 2017 11:25 |  #5

pictureperf wrote in post #18499062 (external link)
fOUND THE PROBLEM! i put the card i switched to back in the camera and the images were on another card, BUT they did not show up in Windows Explorer until i sorted for date. There were other images on the card from an earlier date and initially Windows File Ex. only showed images from the previous date. I dont really know why they wouldnt show up in File Explorer until i sorted them for date, seems like they would have shown up without doing that. At least i know nothing is wrong with the camera or the cards.... NOw if i can only get that 600 ex rt to fire 100% of the time LOL!!

Glad it was sorted out. But a question, actually a few. Where you trying to view jpeg's or RAW and were you looking for file names, icons, or thumbnails?

pictureperf
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2010
Buffalo, NY
Nov 18, 2017 12:09 as a reply to John from PA's post |  #6

i was using raws. the software works with raw files too. i was trying to view the thumbnail in windows file explorer.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,510 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Nov 18, 2017 19:59 |  #7

pictureperf wrote in post #18499172 (external link)
i was using raws. the software works with raw files too. i was trying to view the thumbnail in windows file explorer.

Do you have the Microsoft Codec for the 6D installed? See https://www.microsoft.​com ...oad/details.aspx?id​=26829 (external link).

pictureperf
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2010
Buffalo, NY
Nov 20, 2017 15:36 as a reply to John from PA's post |  #8

dont know. the camera is about 2 years old. what is the codec effect?

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,510 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Nov 21, 2017 05:37 |  #9

pictureperf wrote in post #18500612 (external link)
dont know. the camera is about 2 years old. what is the codec effect?

Not sure you understand since you use the word "effect". If you go to the link I provided the basics are explained.

The Microsoft Camera Codec Pack enables the viewing of a variety of device-specific file formats.

Codec is an extraction from "code" and "decode". Basically as a new camera is brought to market, the camera maker may possibly change the format of the image, very often the RAW format. The Microsoft Codec provides the tools for your Windows based PC to properly see the image. The alternative is to use the camera maker provide software, Digital Photo Professional for instance in the case of Canon.

JPEG images rarely give problems since the JPEG format has been well defined for many years and remains relatively unchanged.

sponsored links

282 views & 0 likes for this thread
Missing Files on SD Card
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.