Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 17 Nov 2017 (Friday) 16:43
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

7D blurry through viewfinder, but picture turns out good

amasquelier
37 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Nov 17, 2017 16:43 |  #1

So i recently purchased a 7D from B&H's used department with a new Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16 F2.8,
well today has been my first day to play with it, and I have noticed that looking down the camera through the lens, it seems blurry..
it wont auto focus correctly even though you can hear it focusing.. Well, after taking the picture and looking at it (I have the settings to HOLD so I can view them) the image is clear and in focus, nothings wrong with it.

any ideas?

sponsored links
DunnoWhen
Goldmember
1,748 posts
Joined Mar 2006
South Wales
Post has been edited 1 month ago by DunnoWhen.
Nov 17, 2017 16:47 |  #2

On the top of the camera, Next to the viewfinder, there is a little dial which can be used to modify the viewfinder focus for each user. See if that has any effect.

My wisdom is learned from the experience of others.

amasquelier
THREAD ­ STARTER
37 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Nov 17, 2017 16:51 |  #3

You know what... i'm a retard.

It was so simple that I overlooked it.

HodjPodj
55 posts
Joined Sep 2017
Denver/USA
Nov 17, 2017 16:56 |  #4

Oh man, I was so excited to see this thread as I am very new to all of this but actually had an answer. Too late I guess!! :(

Old Town Photo
Gear: Canon 6D, Canon T2i (Self modded, LPF2 removed/replaced with Baader IR Cut Filter for Astro), Canon EF 100mm f/2, Rokinon 24mm f/1.4 for Canon, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 for Canon, Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM, Gitzo GT1532 Mountaineer tripod w/Gitzo GH1382QD Ballhead.

amasquelier
THREAD ­ STARTER
37 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Nov 17, 2017 16:58 |  #5

Hey, never know, someone else might new more advice!

HodjPodj
55 posts
Joined Sep 2017
Denver/USA
Nov 17, 2017 17:16 |  #6

For sure, though that will more than likely not be me for a while as I am still getting used to the photography language. Unless you don't know what the little button next to the lens does, I just figured that out a few days ago. Hahaha

Old Town Photo
Gear: Canon 6D, Canon T2i (Self modded, LPF2 removed/replaced with Baader IR Cut Filter for Astro), Canon EF 100mm f/2, Rokinon 24mm f/1.4 for Canon, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 for Canon, Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM, Gitzo GT1532 Mountaineer tripod w/Gitzo GH1382QD Ballhead.

Jotto123
82 posts
Joined Jul 2012
Nov 17, 2017 19:30 |  #7

A few months after my first dslr I became curious about the dial. It made a difference lol

6d - 135L - 85mm 1.8 - 50mm 1.8 - 24mm 2.8

Jarvis ­ Creative ­ Studios
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2013
Houston, Texas
Nov 17, 2017 19:35 |  #8

Sometimes my friends (who wear seriously thick glasses) ask me to take photos of them with their cameras, and I feel really dumb because I don't think I can get them to focus, but in reality their diopter is just way off of what I'm used to.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony RX100V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Nov 17, 2017 22:14 |  #9

I can go one better. After having made this same mistake a couple of times I was again faced with an out of focus view through the view finder. Repeated adjustments of the diopter failed to fix the issue. 5 minutes of looking through menu options in puzzlement and I finally realised the problem was that I was wearing my reading glasses.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

nqjudo
Goldmember
2,709 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Canada
Nov 17, 2017 22:42 |  #10

Maybe you guys can offer me some insight. For the past few years I've noticed that my minimum close focus distance is moving further and further away but I don't need or wear glasses. The issue is that I'm really only relying on my AF confirmation to tell me I've got focus. I can't see clearly in the viewfinder. It is kind of fuzzy and I cannot correct it with the diopter. Is there some accessory that I can use or do I have to see an optometrist about getting glasses to use when I shoot?

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

teekay
Goldmember
2,623 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Post has been edited 1 month ago by teekay.
Nov 17, 2017 23:43 |  #11

nqjudo wrote in post #18498917 (external link)
.... I've noticed that my minimum close focus distance is moving further and further away but I don't need or wear glasses.....I can't see clearly in the viewfinder. It is kind of fuzzy and I cannot correct it with the diopter....do I have to see an optometrist about getting glasses to use when I shoot?

Sorry, but you have to face it - from what you describe you clearly need glasses. Join the crowd.;-)a

Nogo
I could have been worse....
Joined Dec 2013
All Along the Natchez Trace (Clinton, MS)
Nov 18, 2017 00:14 |  #12

Maybe you guys can offer me some insight. For the past few years I've noticed that my minimum close focus distance is moving further and further away but I don't need or wear glasses. The issue is that I'm really only relying on my AF confirmation to tell me I've got focus. I can't see clearly in the viewfinder. It is kind of fuzzy and I cannot correct it with the diopter. Is there some accessory that I can use or do I have to see an optometrist about getting glasses to use when I shoot?

No need to go to an eye doctor to check out your vision. Just go to a drug store or a big box store. Usually around the drug section they have a reading glasses section. Try on different strengths of reading glasses. You may realize you are more blind that you thought you were if you find a pair that really works for you. :lol:

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

Tixeon
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2004
Nov 18, 2017 10:45 |  #13

Check out Diopter Correction Eyepiece Lens that snaps into the viewfinder eyepiece. Canon makes them in + & - strengths. I assume Nikon does too.

Tim
______
Any cat owner will tell you -- no one really owns a cat...

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,316 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Nov 18, 2017 13:21 |  #14

For the past few years I've noticed that my minimum close focus distance is moving further and further away but I don't need or wear glasses.

The condition is called presbyopia. People usually feel motivated to get it corrected when reading becomes too awkward. You should go to an optometrist once in a while anyway. Needing bifocals or reading glasses isn't the only reason to get one's eyes checked.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

nqjudo
Goldmember
2,709 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Canada
Post has been edited 29 days ago by nqjudo.
Nov 18, 2017 15:06 |  #15

OhLook wrote in post #18499203 (external link)
The condition is called presbyopia. People usually feel motivated to get it corrected when reading becomes too awkward. You should go to an optometrist once in a while anyway. Needing bifocals or reading glasses isn't the only reason to get one's eyes checked.

Indeed. I go to the optometrist every 2-3 years as he recommends. My vision is better than 20/20 and my tissues show no degeneration. Like yourself, my MD recommended those pharmacy reading glasses if/when reading becomes difficult. That isn’t the case yet. I can still read small print very well - further and further away in recent years but not uncomfortably so. I tried the reading glasses but they don’t seem to work well with the viewfinder. I’m not sure but it seems that those glasses are optimized for viewing further than directly in front of the eye. Is that possible? It seems like you might have some expertise to share. If that’s the case what would you recommend? The diopter correction eyepiece recommended above seems worth looking into.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

sponsored links

1,756 views & 7 likes for this thread
7D blurry through viewfinder, but picture turns out good
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.