Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 17 Nov 2017 (Friday) 16:43
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

7D blurry through viewfinder, but picture turns out good

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,289 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Nov 18, 2017 16:55 |  #16

nqjudo wrote in post #18499268 (external link)
I’m not sure but it seems that those glasses are optimized for viewing further than directly in front of the eye. Is that possible? It seems like you might have some expertise to share. If that’s the case what would you recommend?

I don't have medical training. Years ago, I copy-edited the journal of a national association of optometrists for a while and picked up some of the vocabulary and concepts, that's all.

Reading glasses, whether mass-produced or manufactured to the patient's prescription, bring the focal plane closer to your eyes. You need stronger ones as the decades pass and your natural minimum focal distance goes farther out. There's a trade-off that becomes more evident over time: the stronger the reading lens, the thinner the field of acceptable sharpness.

It's possible to need, or at least to benefit from, slightly different amounts of correction for the two eyes.

You choose a strength of reading lens that optimizes the clarity of print at your habitual reading distance. People look into viewfinders at such a close distance that I wouldn't think there'd be any reading glasses strong enough. An optometrist might be able to prescribe a custom lens with the needed extreme correction. Another option is a magnifying lens.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

sponsored links
Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2012
Portland OR USA
Nov 18, 2017 17:08 |  #17

Somewhat related, but I remember when I was out on a bright sunny day taking shots in Central Oregon. I was chimping and the reviews were coming out with the most bizarre colors. I checked and rechecked to see what the problem was, but no avail.

Finally, I realized that I was looking at the LCD screen through my polarizing sunglasses. ߘ

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

nqjudo
Goldmember
2,709 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Canada
Nov 18, 2017 17:08 |  #18

Definitely stuff to consider. I’m due for my appointment in about 12 months but I think I’m going to make an early visit this time around. Thanks all!!!

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

TreeburnerCT
Joined Dec 2016
Stratford, CT, USA
Post has been last edited 14 days ago by TreeburnerCT. 2 edits done in total.
Dec 01, 2017 15:17 |  #19

Not vision related but figured I'd share my recent "DUH" moment. I recently listed my Canon EF-S 18-135mm IS STM lens for sale here and offered to include my 55-250mm IS STM for a small surcharge. Someone accepted the offer, but when I went to get the 55-250 from my parents' house I found it had been dropped by one of the kids on Thanksgiving and the mount was broken off from the lens and the filter threads were damaged. Disappointed, I let the buyer know about the 55-250 and we came to a fair price for just the 18-135. So I go to grab the 18-135 out of my backup gear bag the next day to pack it up for shipping, and what else is in there? My 55-250 IS STM! Turns out the broken lens was my old 55-250 IS that I completely forgot I had, and since the STM isn't listed on the side of the lens but only on the front I didn't even notice! DUH

-Joe

RapidPhotoCT.com (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Facebook (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Instagram (external link)

Soft ­ Focus
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Dec 2017
Mill Valley, Ca
Dec 09, 2017 20:14 |  #20

When I first received my 80D body out of the box, I put a lens on it and couldn't get it into focus (even adjusting the eye piece). All kinds of bad words went through my head until I actually turned the camera on and everything came into sharp focus. Felt a little better after that.
Lots of changes since the 20D.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,280 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 4 days ago by Wilt. 6 edits done in total.
Dec 11, 2017 11:34 |  #21

nqjudo wrote in post #18499268 (external link)
Indeed. I go to the optometrist every 2-3 years as he recommends. My vision is better than 20/20 and my tissues show no degeneration. Like yourself, my MD recommended those pharmacy reading glasses if/when reading becomes difficult. That isn’t the case yet. I can still read small print very well - further and further away in recent years but not uncomfortably so. I tried the reading glasses but they don’t seem to work well with the viewfinder. I’m not sure but it seems that those glasses are optimized for viewing further than directly in front of the eye. Is that possible? It seems like you might have some expertise to share. If that’s the case what would you recommend? The diopter correction eyepiece recommended above seems worth looking into.

The lens in your eye gets thicker in order to focus near. When you are young, the lens is very pliable, which is why young kids can see so close. As you age, your lens gets stiffer, until it no longer can sufficiently comply to focus at reading distances and 'your arms are not long enough' to read. It has NOTHING to do with how good your distance vision is!

1. Reading glasses ordinarily are used to compensate and provide supplement 'thickening' so you can read at about 1.5' away (or so).
  2. Your camera viewfinder puts the focus screen and info LCD at a virtual distance of about 30"-36" (depending upon camera brand).

And THAT is why reading glasses that work for reading do not seem to work for looking into your camera viewfinder. But simply get WEAKER strength readers to look into your camera viewfinder!
For example, +1.5 readers for your camera use although you might ordinarily use +2.5 for reading a book.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

anitaw2
212 posts
Joined Jun 2015
Canada
Dec 11, 2017 14:05 |  #22

amasquelier wrote in post #18498759 (external link)
Hey, never know, someone else might new more advice!

OMG. I laughed out loud at this comment!!
funny

Anita W.

Chris.R
Goldmember
1,436 posts
Joined Jul 2016
Dec 11, 2017 14:20 as a reply to post 18499268 |  #23

Even if you get the dioptre right, astigmatism can get worse with age so you may still not see a sharp viewfinder image without glasses.

sponsored links

1,637 views & 7 likes for this thread
7D blurry through viewfinder, but picture turns out good
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.