Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Lenses
Thread started 17 Nov 2017 (Friday) 19:28
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

24-70 G-Master Hood Question

Jarvis ­ Creative ­ Studios
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2013
Houston, Texas
Nov 17, 2017 19:28 |  #1

My 24-70 G-Master Hood is very difficult to put on when reversed. I have to force it to get it to click into place. I own 4 other Sony lenses and none have this issue, and I never had it on any Canons either. If no one else has the issue I wonder if the hood is a dud and buying a new one would solve the problem?

It's so bad that when I go to use my 24-70 for the first time at an event, I'm scared that if I don't hold the lens with one hand and the hood with the other, I might damage something while removing it. When on the normal way, the hood works as it should, although there is a bit more noticeable friction when turning the hood as compared to my other lenses.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony RX100V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

sponsored links
MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,672 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004
New York
Dec 03, 2017 07:01 |  #2

I’m getting mine tomorrow. I’ll report back if there is any problem.

THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2013
Houston, Texas
Dec 03, 2017 20:59 |  #3

MDJAK wrote in post #18509371 (external link)
I’m getting mine tomorrow. I’ll report back if there is any problem.

Sound good! This is something I've been interested in since getting the lens.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony RX100V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,672 posts
Joined Nov 2004
New York
Dec 04, 2017 18:31 |  #4

Well, I don't know if you are going to like my results. Just unpacked the lens. The hood goes on and off smoothly, including when put on backwards. No problem at all. In fact, I think it's smoother than my former L glass.

THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2013
Houston, Texas
Dec 04, 2017 18:42 |  #5

MDJAK wrote in post #18510663 (external link)
Well, I don't know if you are going to like my results. Just unpacked the lens. The hood goes on and off smoothly, including when put on backwards. No problem at all. In fact, I think it's smoother than my former L glass.

Actually I like those results very much. That means hopefully if I order another hood I'll have the same results as you. My 70-200 GM is great, as are all my other hoods. Except the 25 f2.8, but only because it doesn't go on backwards lol.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,672 posts
Joined Nov 2004
New York
Dec 04, 2017 19:24 |  #6

have you taken, perhaps, a flashlight to carefully examine the "ring" or slot that it fits in to see if it's damaged at all, or if the hood is damaged where it would connect? Does it go on regularly without trouble?

THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2013
Houston, Texas
Dec 04, 2017 19:28 |  #7

MDJAK wrote in post #18510701 (external link)
have you taken, perhaps, a flashlight to carefully examine the "ring" or slot that it fits in to see if it's damaged at all, or if the hood is damaged where it would connect? Does it go on regularly without trouble?

I've looked a bit, but not extensively. I can tell that the plastic of the hood is slightly worn due to the friction. I bought it used but in brand new condition (everything was still wrapped up in the box) because someone bought it and their wife was not too happy, so they sold it off immediately. It's been like that since I bought it. It's never been something that is a deal breaker, but I'm the only one I know in my area that owns the 24-70GM, so I figured I'd ask on here.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

363 views & 1 like for this thread
24-70 G-Master Hood Question
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.