Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial
Thread started 17 Nov 2017 (Friday) 21:05
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Seven Sisters (Pleiades)

Pagman
I just hold the thing :-)
Joined Dec 2011
Nov 17, 2017 21:05 |  #1

My best Deep Space bar none (quite proud of it)

P.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Photo from Pagman's gallery.

Nikon D7100, Nikkor 300 f4 IF ED :-)

sponsored links
monty28428
Cream of the Crop
9,931 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007
Carolina Beach
Nov 17, 2017 21:39 |  #2

Very nice :-)

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2011
Nov 17, 2017 22:02 |  #3

monty28428 wrote in post #18498901 (external link)
Very nice :-)

Thank you:-)

P.

Davenn
Joined Jun 2013
Sydney, Australia
Nov 18, 2017 21:21 |  #4

Pagman wrote in post #18498889 (external link)
My best Deep Space bar none (quite proud of it)

P.

nice pic and you are just starting to show the nebulosity

A picture is worth 1000 words ;)
Canon 5D3, 6D, 700D, a bunch of lenses and other bits, ohhh and some Pentax stuff ;)

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2011
Post has been edited 29 days ago by Pagman.
Nov 18, 2017 22:26 |  #5

Davenn wrote in post #18499457 (external link)
nice pic and you are just starting to show the nebulosity

Thanks dave, to be honest I was so pleased with it after all those frames 140 odd, putting the through dss.
I have tried since then wanted to find Andromeda but even with Stellarium and spending an hour outside moving my camera around, I could not find it.
I had hoped that Andrmeda would have been easy to see through my 300mm lens on my LV screen, Seven Sisters was very easy and showed up really well, infact I used it to gain manual focus.

Dissapointed I couldn't find Andy though.

P.

Davenn
Joined Jun 2013
Sydney, Australia
Nov 19, 2017 04:35 |  #6

Pagman wrote in post #18499483 (external link)
Thanks dave, ......snip........ I have tried since then wanted to find Andromeda but even with Stellarium and spending an hour outside moving my camera around, I could not find it.
I had hoped that Andrmeda would have been easy to see through my 300mm lens on my LV screen, ...............snip...​............
Dissapointed I couldn't find Andy though.

P.

hmmm

Andromeda Galaxy is really easy .... it's naked eye :-)
It's pretty low to the horizon for me in Sydney, Australia. It doesn't get more than ~ 15 deg above the horizon.
have seen it a number of times over the years.

here's a cropped pic from Aug 2015 when I was out Perseid meteor watching.
the second one is annotated showing it's location relative to Taurus, M45 and Pegasus
note needs to be inverted for nthrn hemisphere view ;-)a

canon 5D3, 14mm Samyang, f2.4, 30 sec, ISO2000, cropped and shrunk a bit to suit forum image size limits

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 5D3, 6D, 700D, a bunch of lenses and other bits, ohhh and some Pentax stuff ;)

andicus
197 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Nov 19, 2017 16:05 |  #7

I agree with Dave. While not naked eye, for my sky conditions, it's still pretty easy to find with binoculars or a scope.

Having said that, for some reason I've never imaged it particularly well. I've done better images of the fainter M51. -?

Canon EOS 7D, EOS Digital Rebel XTi / EOS 400D / Kiss Digital X | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS |

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2011
Nov 19, 2017 17:24 |  #8

Davenn wrote in post #18499569 (external link)
hmmm

Andromeda Galaxy is really easy .... it's naked eye :-)
It's pretty low to the horizon for me in Sydney, Australia. It doesn't get more than ~ 15 deg above the horizon.
have seen it a number of times over the years.

here's a cropped pic from Aug 2015 when I was out Perseid meteor watching.
the second one is annotated showing it's location relative to Taurus, M45 and Pegasus
note needs to be inverted for nthrn hemisphere view ;-)a

canon 5D3, 14mm Samyang, f2.4, 30 sec, ISO2000, cropped and shrunk a bit to suit forum image size limits

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Davenn in
./showthread.php?p=184​99569&i=i135038436
forum: Astronomy & Celestial
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Davenn in
./showthread.php?p=184​99569&i=i208859784
forum: Astronomy & Celestial

Thank you for that reply dave, here in the UK I think the map is the other way up, with the great qsuare of pegasus below and to the right of andromeda, and M45 would be below and to the left.
On our next clear night I will have to get out and try looking for andromeda through my vf prior to putting it on my tripod.

P.

Davenn
Joined Jun 2013
Sydney, Australia
Post has been edited 27 days ago by Davenn.
Nov 21, 2017 05:04 |  #9

Pagman wrote in post #18499995 (external link)
Thank you for that reply dave, here in the UK I think the map is the other way up, with the great qsuare of pegasus below and to the right of andromeda, and M45 would be below and to the left.
On our next clear night I will have to get out and try looking for andromeda through my vf prior to putting it on my tripod.

P.

yup as mentioned needs to be flipped vertical and horizontal :-)

I just set Stellarium to middle of the UK and WOW, Pegasus gets to almost overhead for you so lucky ;-)a

andicus wrote:
Having said that, for some reason I've never imaged it particularly well. I've done better images of the fainter M51.

M51 doesn't get above my horizon :-(

cheers

Dave

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2011
Nov 21, 2017 19:27 |  #10

Davenn wrote in post #18500931 (external link)
yup as mentioned needs to be flipped vertical and horizontal :-)

I just set Stellarium to middle of the UK and WOW, Pegasus gets to almost overhead for you so lucky ;-)a

M51 doesn't get above my horizon :-(

cheers

Dave

Thanks dave, I cant wait for some clear sky's now, I will be out there having another go at Andromeda.

P.

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,695 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006
Ajman - UAE
Nov 30, 2017 22:57 |  #11

Andromeda is easy to find, i an't see by naked eyes at all, not even by my normal binocular nor by my scope, but it is easy to find, and last time i did shoot it by slewing my mount to it manually, imagine, i didn't use my GoTo, and i know how and where to find it in the sky easily if the stars i use as guiding are out and Andromeda also, otherwise if they are hidden then no way indeed.

Here is a snapshot from Stellarium showing you Andromeda from my sky at night time, and if you look closer, my guide stars are those in the bottom right next to the galaxy, they are like pointing directly to the galaxy, maybe you can see them, i have an astro camera than can sense them or sensetive enough that i just point and i can see the bright core of the galaxy without the whole image of it or the arms, the camera showing very slightly kind of halo around that bright core or star which i know that it is definitely Andromeda galaxy, if you want i can send that file RAW for you to see what i mean from the camera, but it is under FITS format.

https://s26.postimg.or​g ...gxl/M31_constellati​on.jpg (external link)

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/external link
Gear List
Facebookexternal link

Tareq
17,695 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Ajman - UAE
Nov 30, 2017 23:00 |  #12

Also just as suggestion or recommendation, why don't you buy an astro camera that can help you in astrophotography? no need to buy the most expensive one, but definitely if you have a good budget then it is no much more expensive than Canon/Nikon most DSLRs, for $1000-1500 you will have a very capable one, but if you want cheaper then you can easily find/get cameras at $100-500 range, because of that i am willing to buy more astro cameras, i have 2 as working and one is damaged that i am willing to sell it to someone who will fix it by himself, that camera damaged i bought it for nearly $150, sensitive enough for stars regardless it is a color one and not a mono.

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebookexternal link

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2011
Nov 30, 2017 23:01 |  #13

Tareq wrote in post #18507940 (external link)
Andromeda is easy to find, i an't see by naked eyes at all, not even by my normal binocular nor by my scope, but it is easy to find, and last time i did shoot it by slewing my mount to it manually, imagine, i didn't use my GoTo, and i know how and where to find it in the sky easily if the stars i use as guiding are out and Andromeda also, otherwise if they are hidden then no way indeed.

Here is a snapshot from Stellarium showing you Andromeda from my sky at night time, and if you look closer, my guide stars are those in the bottom right next to the galaxy, they are like pointing directly to the galaxy, maybe you can see them, i have an astro camera than can sense them or sensetive enough that i just point and i can see the bright core of the galaxy without the whole image of it or the arms, the camera showing very slightly kind of halo around that bright core or star which i know that it is definitely Andromeda galaxy, if you want i can send that file RAW for you to see what i mean from the camera, but it is under FITS format.

https://s26.postimg.or​g ...gxl/M31_constellati​on.jpg (external link)

Thank you so much for your time, I will chat to you tomorrow as its my bed time, blessings and thank you.

P.

Tareq
17,695 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Ajman - UAE
Nov 30, 2017 23:30 |  #14

Pagman wrote in post #18507944 (external link)
Thank you so much for your time, I will chat to you tomorrow as its my bed time, blessings and thank you.

P.

Ok, good night and sleep well.

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebookexternal link

andicus
197 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Dec 02, 2017 18:23 as a reply to Tareq's post |  #15

Two problems with getting an astro camera...

1) He's not using a telescope. He's are just using a 300mm lens.
2) His camera is not a problem. He's just learning and improving. A different camera isn't going to make that any easier.

The D7100 is an excellent camera, and he will see excellent results with it.

If he was shooting planetary, I would agree. Just because of the smaller sensor size (= larger image), and ability to shoot video with more control.

Canon EOS 7D, EOS Digital Rebel XTi / EOS 400D / Kiss Digital X | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS |

sponsored links

893 views & 23 likes for this thread
Seven Sisters (Pleiades)
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.