Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial
Thread started 17 Nov 2017 (Friday) 21:05
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Seven Sisters (Pleiades)

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,694 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006
Ajman - UAE
Dec 02, 2017 22:23 |  #16

andicus wrote in post #18509122 (external link)
Two problems with getting an astro camera...

1) He's not using a telescope. He's are just using a 300mm lens.
2) His camera is not a problem. He's just learning and improving. A different camera isn't going to make that any easier.

The D7100 is an excellent camera, and he will see excellent results with it.

If he was shooting planetary, I would agree. Just because of the smaller sensor size (= larger image), and ability to shoot video with more control.

1) Astro cameras can be used with Canon/Nikon lenses, i already bought an adapter that i can place Canon lenses to it, i even ordered another adapter that is better designed to use filter wheel too with Canon/Nikon lenses, so a Telescope isn't a must for an astro camera.

2) Camera can be the problem, it can be the key, or it is nothing, this is all depends on what he wants or what he can do, i placed my DSLR and my Sony A7R to my telescope and took few exposures, then my astro camera, the exposures from an astro mono camera is like right away modified or easier to process than from my DSLR, because my astro camera is more sensitive and designed for astrophotography, so may not find that a big deal, to me it changed my game and i never touch my DSLR or Sony when i shoot astrophotography, so the camera is for everything or anything related to the sky, even the sun or planet, and there are so many astro camera dirty cheap that can do the job.

Indeed, D7100 is a capable camera and can be used for nice results, but i was serious about astro even i am just a beginner, so i didn't waste my time learning with my DSLR, i just bought an astro camera and i never regret it.

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/external link
Gear List
Facebookexternal link

sponsored links
Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
I just hold the thing :-)
Joined Dec 2011
Dec 02, 2017 22:53 |  #17

Tareq wrote in post #18509233 (external link)
1) Astro cameras can be used with Canon/Nikon lenses, i already bought an adapter that i can place Canon lenses to it, i even ordered another adapter that is better designed to use filter wheel too with Canon/Nikon lenses, so a Telescope isn't a must for an astro camera.

2) Camera can be the problem, it can be the key, or it is nothing, this is all depends on what he wants or what he can do, i placed my DSLR and my Sony A7R to my telescope and took few exposures, then my astro camera, the exposures from an astro mono camera is like right away modified or easier to process than from my DSLR, because my astro camera is more sensitive and designed for astrophotography, so may not find that a big deal, to me it changed my game and i never touch my DSLR or Sony when i shoot astrophotography, so the camera is for everything or anything related to the sky, even the sun or planet, and there are so many astro camera dirty cheap that can do the job.

Indeed, D7100 is a capable camera and can be used for nice results, but i was serious about astro even i am just a beginner, so i didn't waste my time learning with my DSLR, i just bought an astro camera and i never regret it.

I respect your time to chat with me, I have to make do with what I have this has always been a problem with crossing the different photography boudaries of different subjects, I have just my d7100 and 300 prime lens, nothing will change that, but - my patience and learning about deep space will help me to improve even by a small margin (that will be good for me).

I have been blown away at getting what I have lately - I am not on about proffesional standards, instead just having some fun and if I get something - then that is good.

P.

Nikon D7100, Nikkor 300 f4 IF ED :-)

Tareq
17,694 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Ajman - UAE
Dec 03, 2017 00:49 |  #18

Pagman wrote in post #18509255 (external link)
I respect your time to chat with me, I have to make do with what I have this has always been a problem with crossing the different photography boudaries of different subjects, I have just my d7100 and 300 prime lens, nothing will change that, but - my patience and learning about deep space will help me to improve even by a small margin (that will be good for me).

I have been blown away at getting what I have lately - I am not on about proffesional standards, instead just having some fun and if I get something - then that is good.

P.

That is good news, keep it that way and enjoy, you will be happy no doubt.

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebookexternal link

andicus
196 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Dec 03, 2017 14:19 |  #19

Tareq wrote in post #18509233 (external link)

I'm not saying a dedicated astro camera can't (or won't) give better results. Just that at his stage, focus is more of an issue (not so much with this image, but his Orion Nebula image) and that won't change with a dedicated camera. Many People have fantastic results with DSLRs, as can be seen in many of the threads in this forum.

I wasn't aware of the lens adapters. I'd be interested in seeing results using one of those as I will be buying a dedicated camera, at some point, and would love to be able to use my Canon lenses.

Cheers.

Canon EOS 7D, EOS Digital Rebel XTi / EOS 400D / Kiss Digital X | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS |

Tareq
17,694 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Ajman - UAE
Dec 03, 2017 22:08 |  #20

andicus wrote in post #18509717 (external link)
I'm not saying a dedicated astro camera can't (or won't) give better results. Just that at his stage, focus is more of an issue (not so much with this image, but his Orion Nebula image) and that won't change with a dedicated camera. Many People have fantastic results with DSLRs, as can be seen in many of the threads in this forum.

I wasn't aware of the lens adapters. I'd be interested in seeing results using one of those as I will be buying a dedicated camera, at some point, and would love to be able to use my Canon lenses.

Cheers.

There is someone who is using his 600mm lens with his dedicated astro camera, the results are amazing, enough for me to go with dedicated camera even before i see his results, i don't remember if i saw his results with same lens but on DSLR, but i don't look at one shooter results, i saw many done by this and that, and it is like 80% winners i chose were from dedicated astro camera, and most of them are done with mono rather than an OSC.

As long we are talking about M45 here, this this is or these are his results of this target, 2 from DSLR [5D3] and one from an astro mono camera, all are nice results for sure, but i still prefer the one from the astro camera for a reason.

https://www.astrobin.c​om ...mage_list_page=2&nc​=&nce= (external link)

https://www.astrobin.c​om/245686/D/?nc=user (external link)

https://www.astrobin.c​om/271042/C/?nc=user (external link)

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebookexternal link

Tareq
17,694 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Ajman - UAE
Dec 03, 2017 22:08 |  #21

Once you decide on a dedicated astro camera then you will find out which adapter you need, but not now.

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebookexternal link

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2011
Dec 03, 2017 22:42 |  #22

Tareq wrote in post #18509999 (external link)
Once you decide on a dedicated astro camera then you will find out which adapter you need, but not now.

My friend, my camera is a bit like an all purpose car, it has to do trips to the shops, down the motorway, blast on a fast run, carrying some weight, transporting the kids, going on holiday, another words I have to cover as many subjects as I can in a moment.

My camera and lens will go from taking some landscape one moment, to seeing a plane several miles up next, then seeing some horses in a field, to then seeing some birds in flight, and then getting the odd deep space photo or moon shot.

P.

Tareq
17,694 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Ajman - UAE
Dec 03, 2017 23:12 |  #23

Pagman wrote in post #18510016 (external link)
My friend, my camera is a bit like an all purpose car, it has to do trips to the shops, down the motorway, blast on a fast run, carrying some weight, transporting the kids, going on holiday, another words I have to cover as many subjects as I can in a moment.

My camera and lens will go from taking some landscape one moment, to seeing a plane several miles up next, then seeing some horses in a field, to then seeing some birds in flight, and then getting the odd deep space photo or moon shot.

P.

I have that, if you look at my gear list you will now that i am so aware of DSLR, but even with that i don't use it for astrophotography, and that is my choice, not necessary it must be others choices too, but i don't stop recommending it according to my impressions, after all everyone recommend according to their experiences or impressions.

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebookexternal link

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2011
Dec 04, 2017 16:48 |  #24

Tareq wrote in post #18510033 (external link)
I have that, if you look at my gear list you will now that i am so aware of DSLR, but even with that i don't use it for astrophotography, and that is my choice, not necessary it must be others choices too, but i don't stop recommending it according to my impressions, after all everyone recommend according to their experiences or impressions.

Just had a look at your website lovely work and your a artist also.;-)a

P.

Tareq
17,694 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Ajman - UAE
Dec 05, 2017 00:21 |  #25

Pagman wrote in post #18510601 (external link)
Just had a look at your website lovely work and your a artist also.;-)a

P.

Thanks, but i am not, i just do m best, i enjoyed photography in the past and had my experience, but i am no where as good as many in this forum, and sounds i am still lacking of knowledge in equipment regardless how good my photos are, but thanks, it will encourage me to get back to photography sooner or later.

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebookexternal link

sponsored links

824 views & 23 likes for this thread
Seven Sisters (Pleiades)
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.