Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 18 Nov 2017 (Saturday) 13:05
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon "Light" to confirm MANUAL focus lens (Zeiss, Etc.) ???

mdvaden
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Post has been last edited 28 days ago by mdvaden. 2 edits done in total.
Nov 18, 2017 13:05 |  #1

Every lens I have has both AF/MF .. but I'm shopping for a 2.0 or 2.8 wide angle. I was considering Rokinon 12mm 2.0 for my M5. Then, although expensive, I read or heard something about the Zeiss 15mm 2.8 Distagon working with some kind of "light" on a Canon. I haven't found video or web page explaining yet. And one camera store employee in Portland couldn't explain how this focus confirmation happens. Just said they looked up a note saying "light" ..

Anyone familiar? Is there a separate light? Does the center focus point turn color when focus becomes spot-on while manually turning the ring? Other?

Presently, I use a 5D Mk iii, 5DS and M5

It there is a special feature, is it enabled from the menu? And from what part of the menu? Thanks ...

vadenphotography.comexternal link . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Pageexternal link

sponsored links
BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Nov 18, 2017 17:15 |  #2

With MF lenses with the correct electronics installed, which can even be part of the conversion mount for older MF lenses, or is built in for modern lenses in the EF mount, the green in focus LED around the edge of the viewfinder illuminates when the image is in focus. This is just the same as for an AF lens. So it is part of the normal operation of the camera. Personally this is when I would prefer to be able to use a precision screen, to enable better manual focusing with fast lenses. They also give a brighter image in the viewfinder with lenses faster than f/2.8, which again helps with judging focus. Unfortunately they are no longer an option on Canon bodies, IIRC the 5DII was the last of that line with interchangeable screens.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Nov 18, 2017 18:13 |  #3

BigAl007 wrote in post #18499353 (external link)
With MF lenses with the correct electronics installed, which can even be part of the conversion mount for older MF lenses, or is built in for modern lenses in the EF mount, the green in focus LED around the edge of the viewfinder illuminates when the image is in focus. This is just the same as for an AF lens. So it is part of the normal operation of the camera. Personally this is when I would prefer to be able to use a precision screen, to enable better manual focusing with fast lenses. They also give a brighter image in the viewfinder with lenses faster than f/2.8, which again helps with judging focus. Unfortunately they are no longer an option on Canon bodies, IIRC the 5DII was the last of that line with interchangeable screens.

Alan

Hurray !! A response ... lol

Interesting. Took me a moment to figure it out. But I put my Tamron 85mm on my 5DS and once the switch was moved back to Manual, a little green light came on when it focused. I can see what you mean about fast lenses because it was trickier at f/1.8 than at f/3.2

My first couple tries were fuzzy, but after 20 shots of stuff from 8 ft. to 15 ft. away, the last ten had about 7 out of 10 images well-focused. Never realized the camera had this function.

vadenphotography.comexternal link . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Pageexternal link

Hokie ­ Jim
Joined Jan 2016
Hillsborough, NC
Nov 21, 2017 15:14 |  #4

Nikon seems to have a better implementation of this, as there are arrows telling you which way to spin the barrel to focus.

But my Milvus 50 is showing up next week, so I'll let you know how easy it ends up being  :p

The machine does not isolate man from the great problems of nature but plunges him more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint Exupéry
Canon 6D | 16-35 f/4L IS | Zeiss Milvus 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 580EXII | Gitzo 1410MK2/RRS BH-55

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Nov 21, 2017 21:38 |  #5

Hokie Jim wrote in post #18501298 (external link)
Nikon seems to have a better implementation of this, as there are arrows telling you which way to spin the barrel to focus.

But my Milvus 50 is showing up next week, so I'll let you know how easy it ends up being  :p

Not sure if you saw my other thread about ultra wide angles, or wide angles lenses, but I started looking at Rokinon, but have come close several times this week to ordering a Zeiss.

We moved south a year ago and my work is slowly growing, and need to watch funds. But I'd like to own a good Zeiss at least once to try it. I figured if I get a good price used or new, I can afford to dent savings if I need to recover most of the money later by selling. Assuming I don't keep one.

I was first looking at the 15mm Distagon which dropped below $1800 this week. But as I compared that and other, I began questioning if 15mm is too wide. Maybe 21mm is wide enough for a prime. The widest I have now is a Tamron 35mm.

From what I've read, the Zeiss 18mm Distagon isn't tremendous. But the 21mm sounds very good. And supposedly the 15mm is stellar.

jcothron
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2008
Gainesville, GA
Nov 21, 2017 21:53 |  #6

mdvaden wrote in post #18501511 (external link)
Not sure if you saw my other thread about ultra wide angles, or wide angles lenses, but I started looking at Rokinon, but have come close several times this week to ordering a Zeiss.

We moved south a year ago and my work is slowly growing, and need to watch funds. But I'd like to own a good Zeiss at least once to try it. I figured if I get a good price used or new, I can afford to dent savings if I need to recover most of the money later by selling. Assuming I don't keep one.

I was first looking at the 15mm Distagon which dropped below $1800 this week. But as I compared that and other, I began questioning if 15mm is too wide. Maybe 21mm is wide enough for a prime. The widest I have now is a Tamron 35mm.

From what I've read, the Zeiss 18mm Distagon isn't tremendous. But the 21mm sounds very good. And supposedly the 15mm is stellar.

I have both. The 21 in my opinion is more stellar although they are both great. The 15 can be soft in the corners and needs f11 to get them " sharp enough" in my experience. This only matters if you are shooting something like landscape and need it in the corners. On a aps c sensor though I expect the corners would be fine at a much larger aperture. The 15 is going to give you an effective 22.5mm field of view. Depends on what your shoot but probably not too wide. The 21, which would give you 31.5mm fov, would be really sharp as well, and has better corners. Both are very crisp in the center of course and have great contrast.

There is a 15 on sale on this forum I believe. I don't remember the price.

It really depends on what you shoot but you can't go very wrong with either, I love them both. Incidentally, the 15 is a hefty piece of kit...not sure what kind of balance you will have on that smaller body.

Sorry for the typing, using a phone.

John
Gear List|My Flickr (external link)|Website (external link)|500px (external link)

Hokie ­ Jim
Joined Jan 2016
Hillsborough, NC
Post has been edited 24 days ago by Hokie Jim.
Nov 22, 2017 08:22 |  #7

mdvaden wrote in post #18501511 (external link)

I have a 16-35 from Canon, and TBH, 21mm is probably "wide enough". I probably have my lowest keeper rate at 16mm, it's just difficult to get a frame that isn't full of nothing down there.

But sometimes, nothing else substitutes...which I guess is why there's an 11-24 zoom and 14mm primes  :p

The machine does not isolate man from the great problems of nature but plunges him more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint Exupéry
Canon 6D | 16-35 f/4L IS | Zeiss Milvus 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 580EXII | Gitzo 1410MK2/RRS BH-55

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Nov 22, 2017 20:24 |  #8

jcothron wrote in post #18501517 (external link)
It really depends on what you shoot but you can't go very wrong with either, I love them both. Incidentally, the 15 is a hefty piece of kit...not sure what kind of balance you will have on that smaller body.

Sorry for the typing, using a phone.

I shoot mostly forest and some other landscape. But I'm very interested to try some Full to 2/3 body portraits outdoors. And maybe a few select wedding couple / party photos where time isn't a crunch.

If I use lights and triggers, I can get some fun wide angles with my 16-35mm even though it's f/4. But for a new prime, I'd like to add one that's not what I already have (135mm, two 85mm, 50mm and 35mm). So 21mm would be a nice prime gap to fill, and would give a near-30mm high quality option with the Canon M5.

As good as I hear about the Zeiss 21mm glass, it should resolve nicely with my Canon 5DS too.

jcothron
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2008
Gainesville, GA
Nov 22, 2017 20:35 |  #9

mdvaden wrote in post #18502336 (external link)
I shoot mostly forest and some other landscape. But I'm very interested to try some Full to 2/3 body portraits outdoors. And maybe a few select wedding couple / party photos where time isn't a crunch.

If I use lights and triggers, I can get some fun wide angles with my 16-35mm even though it's f/4. But for a new prime, I'd like to add one that's not what I already have (135mm, two 85mm, 50mm and 35mm). So 21mm would be a nice prime gap to fill, and would give a near-30mm high quality option with the Canon M5.

As good as I hear about the Zeiss 21mm glass, it should resolve nicely with my Canon 5DS too.

I hear it does great with the 5ds but I have no personal experience there. FYI I think I saw a 21 on the "for sale" section earlier today.

John
Gear List|My Flickr (external link)|Website (external link)|500px (external link)

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Post has been edited 24 days ago by mdvaden.
Nov 22, 2017 22:36 |  #10

jcothron wrote in post #18502342 (external link)
I hear it does great with the 5ds but I have no personal experience there. FYI I think I saw a 21 on the "for sale" section earlier today.

Thanks .. I think there's two for sale on the forum after taking a look One UK and one USA. The one on this side rates "8" on the body, but the "8" on the lens got my attention even more.

I've been shooting for about 6 yrs. starting crop sensor, then two 5D mk ii's and lately upgrade to mk iii and 5DS. I have 9 lenses now, after trying many. Over those years, I don't think I ever put a single "ding", dent or scratch on any of my bodies, lenses or glass. So it would feel odd acquiring something marked. Presently, I spotted one online under $900 that's free of marks with a scuff or mark on the lens hood.

I was browsing a couple of Flickr groups, and saw some gorgeous portraits with an 85mm Planar too. I'm beginning to think that I could end up collecting these if I start with just one. I have a Canon 85mm 1.2 and Tamron 85mm 1.8 and can already imagine adding a Zeiss as a third.

It's worth adding though ... reviewer Dustin Abbott wrote on his site that the Tamron 85mm touches-upon some Zeiss Otus-like character, and after testing the Tamron .. he's correct. That lens has the "soul" he mentioned about his vintage lenses.

jcothron
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2008
Gainesville, GA
Nov 23, 2017 07:30 |  #11

mdvaden wrote in post #18502391 (external link)
Thanks .. I think there's two for sale on the forum after taking a look One UK and one USA. The one on this side rates "8" on the body, but the "8" on the lens got my attention even more.

I've been shooting for about 6 yrs. starting crop sensor, then two 5D mk ii's and lately upgrade to mk iii and 5DS. I have 9 lenses now, after trying many. Over those years, I don't think I ever put a single "ding", dent or scratch on any of my bodies, lenses or glass. So it would feel odd acquiring something marked. Presently, I spotted one online under $900 that's free of marks with a scuff or mark on the lens hood.

I was browsing a couple of Flickr groups, and saw some gorgeous portraits with an 85mm Planar too. I'm beginning to think that I could end up collecting these if I start with just one. I have a Canon 85mm 1.2 and Tamron 85mm 1.8 and can already imagine adding a Zeiss as a third.

It's worth adding though ... reviewer Dustin Abbott wrote on his site that the Tamron 85mm touches-upon some Zeiss Otus-like character, and after testing the Tamron .. he's correct. That lens has the "soul" he mentioned about his vintage lenses.

Oh yes, be forewarned, when you start shooting Zeiss you are likely to start collecting them. I started with the 21, and before long I had the 35/2, then the 50/2 Mackro Planar, then the 135/2, and finally the 15/2.8. I love shooting with them. With the exception of a 70-200mm f4L, they are all I carry. I typically don't carry the 135, I love the Zeiss glass but it starts getting heavy.

John

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Post has been last edited 23 days ago by mdvaden. 3 edits done in total.
Nov 23, 2017 10:47 |  #12

jcothron wrote in post #18502540 (external link)
Oh yes, be forewarned, when you start shooting Zeiss you are likely to start collecting them. I started with the 21, and before long I had the 35/2, then the 50/2 Mackro Planar, then the 135/2, and finally the 15/2.8. I love shooting with them. With the exception of a 70-200mm f4L, they are all I carry. I typically don't carry the 135, I love the Zeiss glass but it starts getting heavy.

Oddly, I found myself doing almost a circle. I expected a likely purchase of an ultra wide angle, With Zeiss possible. Like 14mm or 15mm. Then I started leaning 21mm, andmore strongly toward Zeiss. The past nights, I looked inside my desires and past photos and realized that portraits is where I seem to do best. I have some nice landscape photos, but seem to interact with other people very easily. So many of my best images are like 50mm, 85mm, 135mm. An 85mm is my favorite length and may be why I have both Canon 85mm f/1.2 and Tamron 85mm f/1.8

So last night and today I noticed the ZEISS 85mm f/1.4 MILVUS on sale for $1529 ... it supposedly approaches the Zeiss Otus ($4400 @ B&H) on a couple points. Although I have two 85mm already, I've got this Zeiss Milvus in my "Shopping Cart" while deciding today whether to hit the final "place order" button.

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Nov 28, 2017 22:00 |  #13

The Zeiss Milvus 85mm arrived this evening.

I can tell it will be no problem using the confirmation light after trying it indoors. Mounted it first on a Canon 5D Mk iii ... But I'm looking forward to some outdoor photography later this week.

In addition, I have a Canon M5, and never tried focus peaking before. But it was fun tinker with tonight after putting the Milvus 85mm on it also.

sponsored links

1,690 views & 1 like for this thread
Canon "Light" to confirm MANUAL focus lens (Zeiss, Etc.) ???
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.