Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing
Thread started 19 Nov 2017 (Sunday) 09:39
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Where are my videos?

Howard ­ Barlow
106 posts
Joined Jun 2006
Beaumont,Texas
Nov 19, 2017 09:39 |  #1

I never shoot video with my 5D MK lll, but decided to do so the other day, among my regular shooting. I can see the videos on my camera screen, but when I download the files to my MacBook Pro, no video files are there. I just get gaps in the file numbering. Searching the net hasn't given me any ideas as to why I can't find them on the computer. Help!

Smarter than I look, but Momma always said I pretty much had to be.

sponsored links
TreeburnerCT
Joined Dec 2016
Stratford, CT, USA
Nov 19, 2017 13:43 |  #2

Could you have video set to record to the other card?

-Joe

RapidPhotoCT.com (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Facebook (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Instagram (external link)

Howard ­ Barlow
THREAD ­ STARTER
106 posts
Joined Jun 2006
Beaumont,Texas
Nov 19, 2017 15:23 as a reply to TreeburnerCT's post |  #3

No, I have both cards recording raw.

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,054 posts
Joined Nov 2009
The Rhubarb Triangle
Nov 20, 2017 02:47 |  #4

Howard Barlow wrote in post #18499699 (external link)
I never shoot video with my 5D MK lll, but decided to do so the other day, among my regular shooting. I can see the videos on my camera screen, but when I download the files to my MacBook Pro, no video files are there. I just get gaps in the file numbering. Searching the net hasn't given me any ideas as to why I can't find them on the computer. Help!

How are you downloading them?

Those that can, do. Those that can't whinge.

Howard ­ Barlow
THREAD ­ STARTER
106 posts
Joined Jun 2006
Beaumont,Texas
Nov 22, 2017 13:57 |  #5

john crossley wrote in post #18500215 (external link)
How are you downloading them?

I put the card in my MacBook and drag and drop. All my raw load fine. Videos from my Phantom 4 and GoPro load without problems, as well.

Larry ­ Johnson
Goldmember
1,202 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2011
Virginia
Nov 22, 2017 16:07 |  #6

Open up Finder and do a search for .mov or .mp4, depending on the format you recorded the video.

flickr (external link)

Howard ­ Barlow
THREAD ­ STARTER
106 posts
Joined Jun 2006
Beaumont,Texas
Nov 23, 2017 00:32 |  #7

Larry Johnson wrote in post #18502175 (external link)
Open up Finder and do a search for .mov or .mp4, depending on the format you recorded the video.

Nothing found.

SailingAway
287 posts
Joined Sep 2013
Nov 23, 2017 01:26 |  #8

Do you have the camera set to record AVCHD?

If so, the Mac hides some info that might help you navigate to your files. A folder named AVCHD receives a special icon from the OS, and, it’s not openable the way other folders are. Instead, you right-click on it and select reveal contents. Then, open a folder that might be called DCIM, and look for another “special” folder called BMDV (I think), and right-click/reveal that. (If you don’t find the BMDV folder in DCIM, look around). Then, look for a folder called Stream. That’s where the clips are. I’m not familiar with the 5DM3, they might be .mts files?

If this is what you find, just copy those .mts or mp4/whatever files.

Or, from Premiere (other software?) you can use the media browser, navigate to the AVCHD folder, and all the clips should be revealed.

In the future, you could continue to record AVCHD, or, try MP4, which fills the card with a more conventional set of directories and file.

From the upper left corner of the U.S.
Photos, Video & Pano r us.
College and workshop instructor in video and audio.
70D, Sigma 8mm, Tokina f2.8 11-16, Canon EF-S f2.8 17-55, Sigma f2.8 50-150 EX OS, Tamron 150-600VC. Gigapan Epic Pro, Nodal Ninja 5 & R10.

Howard ­ Barlow
THREAD ­ STARTER
106 posts
Joined Jun 2006
Beaumont,Texas
Nov 24, 2017 22:40 |  #9

SailingAway wrote in post #18502472 (external link)
Do you have the camera set to record AVCHD?

If so, the Mac hides some info that might help you navigate to your files. A folder named AVCHD receives a special icon from the OS, and, it’s not openable the way other folders are. Instead, you right-click on it and select reveal contents. Then, open a folder that might be called DCIM, and look for another “special” folder called BMDV (I think), and right-click/reveal that. (If you don’t find the BMDV folder in DCIM, look around). Then, look for a folder called Stream. That’s where the clips are. I’m not familiar with the 5DM3, they might be .mts files?

If this is what you find, just copy those .mts or mp4/whatever files.

Or, from Premiere (other software?) you can use the media browser, navigate to the AVCHD folder, and all the clips should be revealed.

In the future, you could continue to record AVCHD, or, try MP4, which fills the card with a more conventional set of directories and file.

After searching the manual, and online, I don't find anything about video format. How do I set it? How do I find it? Finder, Bridge, and Premiere Pro don't show anything other than my raw files.

SailingAway
287 posts
Joined Sep 2013
Nov 25, 2017 02:06 as a reply to Howard Barlow's post |  #10

My suggestions about AVCHD don’t apply to your 5Dm4. They do apply to many other Canon cameras.

A quick google search led me to this page, which shows the available recording formats (external link).

See p. 351 of the manual for video settings.

Perhaps if you search the card for .mp4 or .mov using the Mac Finder? Have you put the card into a card reader, and looked in every folder on the card? Or, are you using some other method of transferring the files?

From the upper left corner of the U.S.
Photos, Video & Pano r us.
College and workshop instructor in video and audio.
70D, Sigma 8mm, Tokina f2.8 11-16, Canon EF-S f2.8 17-55, Sigma f2.8 50-150 EX OS, Tamron 150-600VC. Gigapan Epic Pro, Nodal Ninja 5 & R10.

Howard ­ Barlow
THREAD ­ STARTER
106 posts
Joined Jun 2006
Beaumont,Texas
Nov 26, 2017 14:42 |  #11

SailingAway wrote in post #18503645 (external link)
My suggestions about AVCHD don’t apply to your 5Dm4. They do apply to many other Canon cameras....
Perhaps if you search the card for .mp4 or .mov using the Mac Finder? Have you put the card into a card reader, and looked in every folder on the card? Or, are you using some other method of transferring the files?

Mine is a MK III. Such searches produce no results.

Larry ­ Johnson
Goldmember
1,202 posts
Joined Sep 2011
Virginia
Nov 26, 2017 16:44 |  #12

Howard Barlow wrote in post #18504549 (external link)
Mine is a MK III. Such searches produce no results.

Maybe there's an issue with the folder/software that you're dragging and dropping the movie files into. What folder are you tryiong to drop them into?

flickr (external link)

Howard ­ Barlow
THREAD ­ STARTER
106 posts
Joined Jun 2006
Beaumont,Texas
Nov 26, 2017 20:58 |  #13

Larry Johnson wrote in post #18504640 (external link)
Maybe there's an issue with the folder/software that you're dragging and dropping the movie files into. What folder are you tryiong to drop them into?

Each time I download files, I create a new folder for that shoot. I d&d all files into that folder.

crofter
168 posts
Joined Aug 2011
Weardale UK
Post has been edited 1 month ago by crofter.
Nov 27, 2017 02:01 |  #14

If the files play on the camera then they are on the card,have you tried putting the card in a different computer,must be some weird mac thing that is not showing the files..

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/70718847@N02/external link

Larry ­ Johnson
Goldmember
1,202 posts
Joined Sep 2011
Virginia
Nov 27, 2017 13:53 as a reply to Howard Barlow's post |  #15

At this point I’d be inclined to call canon or Mac support.

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

5,420 views & 1 like for this thread
Where are my videos?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.