Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 20 Nov 2017 (Monday) 14:00
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Which screen capture software will do this...

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
Joined Oct 2010
Nov 20, 2017 14:00 |  #1

I'm looking for a screen capture program that I mostly want to use for saving recipes I find on the net.

I tried MS Snipping tool, but it doesn't offer scrolling, for when the article is longer than what will fit on the screen.
I'm looking for a program that will capture text, photos, and video.

For example, this recipe is long and contains an embedded video mid way through. I'd like to capture all of it.
I want to save the recipes to a hard drive, for my use and not for distribution.

https://www.thekitchn.​com ...=11182017&recip_id=​824820 (external link)

Ummm...this pumpkin pie looks great ;-)a

Any software suggestions? Thanks.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

sponsored links
davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
2,930 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Post has been edited 27 days ago by davesrose.
Nov 20, 2017 17:14 |  #2

I've made recipe books from MS Word: with word you can have a theme for having recipe categories and different headings for main recipes/condiments. You can then also add a Table of Contents that continually gets updated: allows you to easily add hyperlinks to all recipes. The main problem with trying to parse data from a recipe site, is that they're formatted differently. A few months ago, I created a recipe finder from Yummly (which in turns gets many recipes from other sites). I just noticed the API has changed, and I'd need to update it. I think the most straight forward method is to just select the ingredient list and preparation notes....then copy and then paste to Word. From Word, you can format anyway you want.

With the specific link you have, I noticed there was a printable recipe. If you call that up, then you can be sure it's just isolating the recipe. I notice that the webpage is using it's own embedded JW video library: so again, other sites that have videos would be different formats/locations. Personally, I like keeping the recipe a word document: I can also export it to PDF and share it on any of my devices.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,514 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Nov 20, 2017 19:18 |  #3

Adding to what daverose says, select the text in the printable recipe near the bottom, then open Word, do a "Paste Special" and select unformatted text. You may need to do some cleanup but that will get you the recipe content.

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
I'm too sexy for my lens
Joined Oct 2010
Nov 21, 2017 04:12 |  #4

Thanks folks for the ideas.

Sounds like M.S. Word is the way to go.

But here's what I'd like to do: Copy & paste the recipe's text and photos to Word. Then capture the video clip. Then some how link the Word document and video clip together. So when I open the Word doc to view the recipe I can also get quick access to the video.

I don't know if this would be easy or complicated.

Btw, looks like the only way I can get M.S. Word on my desktop/laptop is to subscribe to Office 365 at 100 bucks per year.

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,035 posts
Joined Nov 2009
The Rhubarb Triangle
Nov 21, 2017 04:50 |  #5

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18500921 (external link)
Thanks folks for the ideas.

Sounds like M.S. Word is the way to go.

But here's what I'd like to do: Copy & paste the recipe's text and photos to Word. Then capture the video clip. Then some how link the Word document and video clip together. So when I open the Word doc to view the recipe I can also get quick access to the video.

Btw, looks like the only way I can get M.S. Word on my desktop/laptop is to subscribe to Office 365 at 100 bucks per year.

You get the ON-LINE version for FREE if you sign up to OUTLOOK.

Those that can, do. Those that can't whinge.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Nov 21, 2017 05:07 |  #6

If this is just for stuff from the web have you tried saving the page? In Chrome if I right click I get the Save As option (Ctrl+S) it comes up with the option Save as Type: Web Page Complete. Using this it actually saves the page as an .htm file, and then creates a directory with all the necessary content files. This way you have the whole thing on your drive, so you then have permanent access to the page, with or without an internet connection.

Moving it to some other format will not negate the need to have all the media files available, if you still want all the illustrations etc. Although it will be using locally stored images etc to render the page, all the external links will still work. Put all of the downloaded pages in one folder and it would be really simple to add an index.html file too with links to each recipe that you can access from a browser.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,514 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Nov 21, 2017 05:26 |  #7

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18500921 (external link)

All of this can readily be accomplished, but it does need some skills in Word beyond the norm. Not to be critical, I doubt currently that you have these skills, or at best they need to be refined and practiced. The images are easy to put into a Word document, simply right click, select copy image, then go to Word and paste (Ctrl-V is the hot key shortcut).

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
I'm too sexy for my lens
Joined Oct 2010
Nov 21, 2017 06:12 |  #8

John from PA wrote in post #18500940 (external link)
Not to be critical, I doubt currently that you have these skills, or at best they need to be refined and practiced.

Right on.

Ancient ­ Mariner
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Dec 2014
Nov 21, 2017 06:22 |  #9

I use Chrome and can "print" an entire page as you decribe to a .PDF file. The link to the embedded video would be a clickable link as long as web access is available.

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
2,930 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Post has been edited 27 days ago by davesrose.
Nov 21, 2017 09:03 |  #10

If you save as html, it will save embedded images, but not linked videos. It also saves a lot of unnecessary files. Maybe you can save as temporarily: to get any images you might want to use. But with the provided link, the images are right clickable (for saving or copying). Websites may also have a lot of unnecessary ads or links, so I'd still prefer to selectively copy and paste.

I quickly created a Word example. It includes the Table of Contents example...so you can see how you'd continue to add recipes and update Contents to have hyperlinks with multipage recipes (just have their title be Heading 1).

Word Recipe Example (external link)

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

DesolateMirror
Joined Oct 2015
Nov 21, 2017 10:30 |  #11

ShareX is free and does webpage and scrolling image capture.

KeithS
Joined Jul 2009
Arizona
Post has been last edited 27 days ago by KeithS. 2 edits done in total.
Nov 21, 2017 11:46 |  #12

I have hundreds of Word documents in which I have articles, instructions, and whatever, collected from the web. Copied and pasted-can be as long as needed. There are a lot of documents that I want to be able to reference without having to hunt them down on line. I can also keep them on a thumb drive to take with me when I travel and do not have internet access.

With your example, just click and drag down and the screen will scroll as far as you want. Right click and copy. then past into Word or whatever word processor you have.

There is a free program called Freemake Video Downloader, which will allow you to download a video file to your computer. It will capture videos from YouTube and some other sites. I use it frequently. I've not tried to place a video into a Word document, but if that does not work, create a folder for each document and video.

Example folder containing Word documents, videos, PDFs, etc.:

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-gKzBjgR/0/9689a8b4/L/i-gKzBjgR-L.jpg

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,514 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Nov 21, 2017 20:26 |  #13

Ancient Mariner wrote in post #18500965 (external link)
I use Chrome and can "print" an entire page as you decribe to a .PDF file. The link to the embedded video would be a clickable link as long as web access is available.

I forgot you could do this with Chrome; good idea on the part of the Ancient Mariner. Tried it on the recipe and worked well. Some cleanup may be necessary to get rid of extra pages especially if you are printing a hard copy. Embedded links to related text content work but as the "Ancient Mariner" mentioned the video doesn't. Personally I'd suggest doing without the video. It really doesn't add much to the content. If you can read and follow directions, you can cook.

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
13,835 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Nov 22, 2017 08:28 |  #14

While it can't do videos, "Snagit" can capture the full screen, it will autoscroll for you. For screen capture, it's amazing and useful. For recipes, I like to email myself and save in a folder for searchable results.

I use Snagit for documentation, and it's fantastic.

Sony A7rii/A7riii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - CV 35/1.7 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4 - Tamron 28-75 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 VC

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,514 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Nov 25, 2017 06:16 |  #15

Charlie wrote in post #18501725 (external link)
While it can't do videos, "Snagit" can capture the full screen, it will autoscroll for you. For screen capture, it's amazing and useful. For recipes, I like to email myself and save in a folder for searchable results.

I use Snagit for documentation, and it's fantastic.

SnagIt 2018 may be able to do some actions relative to video. Wording at the site states

Capture anything on your screen
Snagit makes it easier and more intuitive to capture your screen or record video. Capture your entire desktop, region, window, or scrolling screen.

There is a trail version and the full blown version costs $50 for an individual license. See https://www.techsmith.​com/screen-capture.html (external link) for the details.

sponsored links

846 views & 15 likes for this thread
Which screen capture software will do this...
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.