Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 20 Nov 2017 (Monday) 14:00
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Which screen capture software will do this...

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,547 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA
Post has been edited 21 days ago by bobbyz.
Nov 25, 2017 09:28 |  #16

Let me check. I had this nice app which will grab recipes from almost anywhere and you can query them based on keywords.

Edited:- It is called ChefTap.

https://cheftap.com/ (external link)

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

sponsored links
Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
I'm too sexy for my lens
Joined Oct 2010
Dec 05, 2017 10:53 |  #17

davesrose wrote in post #18501031 (external link)
If you save as html, it will save embedded images, but not linked videos. It also saves a lot of unnecessary files. Maybe you can save as temporarily: to get any images you might want to use. But with the provided link, the images are right clickable (for saving or copying). Websites may also have a lot of unnecessary ads or links, so I'd still prefer to selectively copy and paste.

I quickly created a Word example. It includes the Table of Contents example...so you can see how you'd continue to add recipes and update Contents to have hyperlinks with multipage recipes (just have their title be Heading 1).

Word Recipe Example (external link)

I like this clean simple format. Thanks, Dave.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
I'm too sexy for my lens
Joined Oct 2010
Dec 05, 2017 11:08 |  #18

KeithS wrote in post #18501152 (external link)
I have hundreds of Word documents in which I have articles, instructions, and whatever, collected from the web. Copied and pasted-can be as long as needed. There are a lot of documents that I want to be able to reference without having to hunt them down on line. I can also keep them on a thumb drive to take with me when I travel and do not have internet access.

With your example, just click and drag down and the screen will scroll as far as you want. Right click and copy. then past into Word or whatever word processor you have.

There is a free program called Freemake Video Downloader, which will allow you to download a video file to your computer. It will capture videos from YouTube and some other sites. I use it frequently. I've not tried to place a video into a Word document, but if that does not work, create a folder for each document and video.

Example folder containing Word documents, videos, PDFs, etc.:

QUOTED IMAGE

Seems like a good workable solution. Doc & video file together in a folder. I'll give Freemake a try. Thanks for sharing.

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
I'm too sexy for my lens
Joined Oct 2010
Dec 05, 2017 11:27 |  #19

John from PA wrote in post #18503704 (external link)
SnagIt 2018 may be able to do some actions relative to video. Wording at the site states

There is a trail version and the full blown version costs $50 for an individual license. See https://www.techsmith.​com/screen-capture.html (external link) for the details.

Thanks, John. I'll give the trial version a go.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Dec 14, 2017 23:19 |  #20

BigAl007 wrote in post #18500933 (external link)
If this is just for stuff from the web have you tried saving the page? In Chrome if I right click I get the Save As option (Ctrl+S) it comes up with the option Save as Type: Web Page Complete. Using this it actually saves the page as an .htm file, and then creates a directory with all the necessary content files. This way you have the whole thing on your drive, so you then have permanent access to the page, with or without an internet connection.

This is good info, Al!

I am interested in saving videos to my computer, as well. Although the things I want to save are not videos that are connected to text, such as what the OP is asking about.

I just want to save videos themselves. I want to save them to my computer for two reasons:

1: Often times, the videos are removed from the internet, so if they are not saved to my computer I would lose the ability to view them.

2: I often go very long periods of time with no internet connection, and I would like to be able to play videos even when there is no internet access.

I am wondering, Al, if the instructions you gave would really save videos (along with the accompanying audio) to a computer in a way that they can bee seen even if the webpage from which they are taken is pulled down off of the internet.

Would this also work for long videos, such as 2 hour long documentaries that I watch on YouTube?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
2,930 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Dec 15, 2017 12:16 as a reply to Tom Reichner's post |  #21

For many sites, just saving as won't copy videos. Sites like youtube have their videos on different servers, and can even hide the source video address from the main page's source. It's both to dissuade downloading and to be able to offer suggestions and add new advertisements. Now, the main way to get youtube videos is to use a separate service (which they'll keep methods for grabbing the video up to date). Here's a link to a website that will let you save a youtube video (just copy the link into the search field).

YouTube Downloader (external link)

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

sponsored links

821 views & 15 likes for this thread
Which screen capture software will do this...
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.