Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera
Thread started 21 Nov 2017 (Tuesday) 02:22
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Wich One T5, T6, SL1 Or 50D?

jcsurfkings
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Nov 2017
Pismo Beach, CA. USA
Post has been edited 27 days ago by jcsurfkings.
Nov 21, 2017 02:22 |  #1

Hi!

So which one would you suggest and why? T5, T6, SL1? Also the T2i and the T3i? I am also interested in the 50D but like the 18.0mp of the others?

All are 18mp except the 50D

I am going to be mostly doing landscape, beach, sunset and some surfing?

I found a refurbished T6 from Canon for around $270

Thank You

Jeff

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,435 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 27 days ago by TeamSpeed. 2 edits done in total.
Nov 21, 2017 05:47 |  #2

The SL2 gets my vote, it beats out all the others. Not in your list, but at $550, it is a great camera, and has better ISO and DR than anything in your list.

The T# models are too restricted, at least consider the models that end with i like the t6i. The 7d should be in your list too, the 50d should not. The 7d will have the best AF of any of the cameras in the list too.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Nov 21, 2017 05:51 |  #3

SD Card or CF? Which would you chose. If it is SD then forget the 50D since it is CF card only, and one of the main reasons I chose a 50D over a 60D. Of the cameras you mention though the 50D has the best build quality, and a few advanced features that probably won't actually matter that much to you, apart from maybe AF Micro Adjustment, to match the AF to the lens exactly.

Of the rest I would go with the SL1 since it is essentially an "i" line camera in a smaller body. As well as splitting the middle tier APSC bodies between the 7D and x0D after the 60D, they also split the basic line of bodies, in the rest of the world it went to x000 and x00, in the USA it was Tx and Txi. That made the bottom level line of cameras very basic indeed in some features, mostly done by limiting the software controlling the camera. This means that when reading the headline specifications unless you know specifically what you are looking at separating them can be very hard. Sometimes you might only find out that in the lowest range of cameras certain features may only be accessible in very limited circumstances.

For example back in 2005 when looking at the original Rebel, known to us as the 300D, it has AI Servo AF, for tracking moving subjects, but it is only accessible while shooting in "Sport" mode, which meant shooting at ISO 400 only, and in JPEG, not RAW. Otherwise you could only shoot using the AI Focus system, which tries to guess (usually badly) if the subject is moving or stationary. The only way to find this out was to read the manual very carefully, and it was never mentioned in any review of the camera. Of course the fact that it was about £500 cheaper then it's nearest rival meant that it was pretty much the only DSLR you could afford if your budget was £1000 back then.

So I would avoid the non "i" T series cameras if at all possible, they tend to be very limiting rather quickly if you are serious about learning photography. Of the cameras that I would recommend on your list the SL1 is by far the best option, even if it is the smallest in size.

Oh and finally I love my 50D, would an extra 3 MP help? yes a bit, but remember that for it to make a significant difference to the linear resolution, which is what really matters, you need to make a much bigger jump. To double the linear resolution of a 6 MP sensor for example you need to go to a 25 MP sensor, since the sensels have to be spread out in two directions. The more you start with, the more you need to add to make a significant change. Hence Canon going from 18 to 24 MP.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Nov 21, 2017 06:53 |  #4

as in your last thread ...

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18500945 (external link)
The T# models are too restricted, at least consider the models that end with i like the t6i.

^ this

BigAl007 wrote in post #18500947 (external link)
Of the rest I would go with the SL1 since it is essentially an "i" line camera in a smaller body.

So I would avoid the non "i" T series cameras if at all possible, they tend to be very limiting rather quickly if you are serious about learning photography. Of the cameras that I would recommend on your list the SL1 is by far the best option, even if it is the smallest in size.

Oh and finally I love my 50D, would an extra 3 MP help? yes a bit, but remember that for it to make a significant difference to the linear resolution, which is what really matters, you need to make a much bigger jump. To double the linear resolution of a 6 MP sensor for example you need to go to a 25 MP sensor, since the sensels have to be spread out in two directions. The more you start with, the more you need to add to make a significant change. Hence Canon going from 18 to 24 MP.

^and this.

someone in that thread mentioned saving "a little more" and spending a thousand bucks, LOL. I understand having a specific and limited budget, but you are on the extreme low end of being able to have a workable system. With that being the case, you should be patient in finding a deal on a good camera rather than picking a specific model. So if you keep in mind a few bodies that will meet your needs and give it a few months, you'll be able to turn up a good deal. Canon will be pushing their new camera bodies for the next few weeks, but soon will probably have some great deals on refurb (with warranty) bodies too. Then, once the holiday season is over, folks will be selling their old bodies and lenses after having bought upgrades. The next two months are the best time to buy camera gear, you just have to know what you want, keep checking the right places, and be ready to buy quickly before the deal ends.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Nov 21, 2017 07:24 |  #5

jcsurfkings wrote in post #18500897 (external link)
Hi!

So which one would you suggest and why? T5, T6, SL1? Also the T2i and the T3i? I am also interested in the 50D but like the 18.0mp of the others?

All are 18mp except the 50D

I am going to be mostly doing landscape, beach, sunset and some surfing?

I found a refurbished T6 from Canon for around $270

Thank You

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

You'd never know which one of those cameras produced an image without EXIF data frankly. For what you're saying you want to shoot, they're all probably totally fine.

That said, if you want to make sure you have some features for the future, it may be wise to look at a few bodies that have specific features that allow you to expand later on areas so you're not kicking yourself for having to re-buy. For example, these days, when it comes to a Canon I have a hard time really being serious about a camera that doesn't have MFA (the ability to fine adjust auto-focus on a lens with the camera body, unless the lens has the option such as Sigma, etc). If you ever move over to something with fast glass, it starts to matter a lot. Not so much with the wide glass and full depth of field. So out of your whole lot up there, the 50D is the only one with it. Also, as mentioned, a 7D would be another body to look at. Or, even a 70D refurb.

Do you think you have to go Canon though?

What's your total budget?

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link) :: Canon 17-40L For Sale! $380!

jcsurfkings
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Nov 2017
Pismo Beach, CA. USA
Post has been last edited 27 days ago by jcsurfkings. 2 edits done in total.
Nov 21, 2017 08:14 as a reply to MalVeauX's post |  #6

Hi!

Thank You all so much! I had a XTI like 8 years ago. Did not shoot it much for many reasons, then sold it to a friend. I saw the T6 refurbished by Canon and thought that was a good deal. Wanted to ask as I believe that deal ends on the 22nd.

I would like to stay around $300 for the body. Will look at the 50D and SL1 on eBay and possibly the 7D that I have not looked at.

Thank You

Jeff

jcsurfkings
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Nov 2017
Pismo Beach, CA. USA
Nov 21, 2017 08:16 as a reply to Left Handed Brisket's post |  #7

Hi!

To futher my knowledge what is the "i" like what does it have that the non "i" dont? I have been reading and cant quit figure that out. Maybe to much reading.

Thank You

Jeff

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Nov 21, 2017 08:22 |  #8

jcsurfkings wrote in post #18501005 (external link)
Hi!

Thank You all so much! I had a XTI like 8 years ago. Did not shoot it much for many reasons, then sold it to a friend. I saw the T6 refurbished by Canon and thought that was a good deal. Wanted to ask as I believe that deal ends on the 22nd.

I would like to stay around $300 for the body. Will look at the 50D and SL1 on eBay and possibly the 7D that I have not looked at.

Thank You

Jeff

You can get a 50D for your budget with room left over. Good camera with good AF and build. It has MFA which may matter later on if you ever decide to get into different kinds of photography where you need to calibrate the lens. I'd get it over any of the Rebels listed above. The only thing I'd get over it is the 7D/70D in this price range, if you want to stick to these kinds of Canon dSLR's. Otherwise, you could also start looking at a 1D Mark III (used, around $500ish). But at $300 or less, the 50D is a lot of camera and I'd go that way, if you stayed Canon.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link) :: Canon 17-40L For Sale! $380!

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Nov 21, 2017 08:29 |  #9

jcsurfkings wrote in post #18501006 (external link)
Hi!

To futher my knowledge what is the "i"

i have no idea. lol

think of it like buying a new car. You get the same engine, same transmission, and likely same suspension and frame. Then you buy extra trim packages, stereo, nav system, leather, wheels, etc.

the sensor of these cameras is going to be either exactly the same, or very close in real world situations. The differences you are deciding on is based in the software and abilities of the camera. As the number gets higher, there are typically more features. The non-i will have less features than the i. I couldn't possibly list the differences in each.

start reading and make a list of things you have to have, and things you want to have. Then see which model fits the bill.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

ksbal
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
N.E. Kansas
Nov 21, 2017 08:52 |  #10

I'm a 50D supporter as well, as the outer AF points are all cross type, and you will have a much better hit rate with accurate focus that way. SL1 does not, so that is out for me.

The build and navigation are superior on the 50D.

A con would be no video with the 50D.

the T6 does video, but apparently only does 3 fps.. the 50D does 5+ fps This may be important to shoot bursts for surfing.

Any of these cameras will do what you need. CF vs SD is not a big deal. They are all good starter cameras to learn on.. and you can always upgrade later if you get really serious and want to explore the edges of each genre of photography.

15mp vs 18mp is no big deal. I've taken 20% of my 50D image and blown it up to 20x30 - proper post processing is the factor there.

YN622 English User Guide/Manual by Clive
https://drive.google.c​om ...Ig0gMMzZFaDVlZ1VNTE​0/view (external link)

Ronnie ­ H
Goldmember
1,782 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Twining, Michigan USA
Nov 21, 2017 09:37 |  #11

Jeff
i sent you a PM,, i have a lightly used in box 50D pkg 4 sale
Cheers Ron

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,435 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited 27 days ago by TeamSpeed.
Nov 21, 2017 13:17 |  #12

I would get a 7d over a 50d, just for a bit more. Better AF, better ISO, better build and seals... If one was to consider a bigger body over the rebel or SL series anyways.

The best money though, if you can stretch the budget, is the SL2. You lose great AF but gain much more. Depends if AF is your thing or ISO and DR...

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Nov 21, 2017 13:47 |  #13

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18501210 (external link)
I would get a 7d over a 50d, just for a bit more. Better AF, better ISO, better build and seals... If one was to consider a bigger body over the rebel or SL series anyways.

The best money though, if you can stretch the budget, is the SL2. You lose great AF but gain much more. Depends if AF is your thing or ISO and DR...

Do you own an SL2?

Curious because when it came out along side the 6DII it didn't seem to be a huge leap over the SL1 in terms of DR/ISO.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,435 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Nov 21, 2017 14:31 as a reply to Left Handed Brisket's post |  #14

Yes I have one and it has the 80d sensor, which is indeed a step up over the 7D and others' like the SL1.

http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​485527

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Post has been edited 27 days ago by kf095.
Nov 21, 2017 15:50 |  #15

I was buying 500D as current Rebel, while 50D was new as well. 2009. So, I still have this camera and it is also named as T1i. It is the camera I took everywhere and took pictures of everything in tens of thousands of exposures. It still works and in regular use. I never regret not getting 50D. My T1i worked with L lenses just fine. Including BiF and macro. I used grip to balance big lenses. But I like it because it is small, yet very capable.

Later on Canon came with no "i" and I was spanked here to call it "castration". But I just checked T6i and T6 and no "i" still means the same, less capable camera due to limitations imposed in the FW for strictly commercial reasons. To me it is awfully done.

50D, it is as old sensor as my 500D (well, same sensor) and it is old camera by now, it might start to acting up. Many pro and like pro used it. Still, the only advantage of 50D in these days, IMO, is the build. I don't know if it was noticed by others or it is just me, but 5DC, 50D and 500D cameras are better in the build. Honestly, some newest Rebels are kind of plasticity. I get same feel with 5DMKII after 5Dc. But SL, surprisingly feels nice. So, if you like to feel like old pro, get 50D, for the workout.
I knew real ex-pro in our town. Ex PJ and later wedding, studio, field photog from film only era. He has tried many digital cameras after finishing with paid photography. Last time I checked he has settled with SL1. And he even mentioned once, what he wouldn't mind to get wedding session done with this camera...

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

sponsored links

641 views & 2 likes for this thread
Wich One T5, T6, SL1 Or 50D?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.