Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 21 Nov 2017 (Tuesday) 17:35
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Rule of Odds

DigitalDon
Joined Aug 2012
Nov 21, 2017 17:35 |  #1

Anyone use them?

(EOS RebelT3i EF-S 18 - 55 IS II Kit) (EFS 55 - 250 mm lense f/4-5.6 IS II) (YONGNUO YN 565EX flash)

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Nov 21, 2017 17:39 |  #2

Yes.

And rules are made to be broken

:evil:

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

DigitalDon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2012
Nov 21, 2017 17:42 |  #3

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18501389 (external link)
Yes.

And rules are made to be broken

:evil:

Thanks

(EOS RebelT3i EF-S 18 - 55 IS II Kit) (EFS 55 - 250 mm lense f/4-5.6 IS II) (YONGNUO YN 565EX flash)

AZGeorge
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Southen Arizona
Nov 21, 2017 18:24 |  #4

I sometimes try to find some secondary interest (1) when shooting couples (2). Even when the secondary is all that interesting on its own, it seems to add some life to the static (2).

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Nov 21, 2017 18:29 |  #5

Here are some great words of wisdom by some of the greatest to push a shutter.

A little video by one of the greats.
https://vimeo.com/1166​92462 (external link) It's short and really worth a watch.

And some words by some of the greats.

"When subject matter is forced to fit into preconceived patterns, there can be no freshness of vision. Following rules of composition can only lead to a tedious repetition of pictorial cliches." - Edward Weston

"There are no rules and regulations for perfect composition. If there were we would be able to put all the information into a computer and would come out with a masterpiece. We know that's impossible. You have to compose by the seat of your pants." - Arnold Newman

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs." - Ansel Adams

"And in not learning the rules, I was free. I always say, you're either defined by the medium or you redefine the medium in terms of your needs." - Duane Michals

"There are no shortcuts, no rules." - Paul Strand

"Photography is not a sport. It has no rules. Everything must be dared and tried!" - Bill Brandt

"I came from the outside, the rules of photography didn't interest me... "-William Klein

"...... a photograph can look any way. Or, there's no way a photograph has to look (beyond being an illusion of a literal description). Or, there are no external or abstract or preconceived rules of design that can apply to still photographs. "-Garry Winogrand

and maybe my favorite " ......so called “composition” becomes a personal thing, to be developed along with technique, as a personal way of seeing." - Edward Weston

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Nov 21, 2017 18:43 as a reply to airfrogusmc's post |  #6

It's hard to disagree with any of that ... except that the so-called 'rules' do give you a frame of reference when composing a photograph. As long as they are treated as just a particular set of conventions that can be usefully taken into account in composition, they at least set you thinking about some of the right questions.

Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

HodjPodj
55 posts
Joined Sep 2017
Denver/USA
Nov 21, 2017 18:50 |  #7

I'm happy to say that i'm so new to this that I have no idea what you are even talking about. But, after those quotes, i'm not even going to look it up as I don't want it always lurking in the back of my mind.

Old Town Photo
Gear: Canon 6D, Canon T2i (Self modded, LPF2 removed/replaced with Baader IR Cut Filter for Astro), Canon EF 100mm f/2, Rokinon 24mm f/1.4 for Canon, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 for Canon, Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM, Gitzo GT1532 Mountaineer tripod w/Gitzo GH1382QD Ballhead.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Nov 21, 2017 18:58 |  #8

Never heard of the Rule of Odds.

Actually, I don't think I want to hear it.

But many people love the rule of thirds. It is cited so often. But most of the believers don't actually apply it when taking pictures.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,262 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Nov 21, 2017 19:03 |  #9

I think some of these 'Rules' are written to get photographers (or artists) to make/capture more 'interesting' photos...looking at some of the photo examples of the Rule of Odds, it seems that
a number of them make the viewer's eyes roam around the photo, rather than to be fixed at a single point

I, too, had never heard of the Rule of Odds, although I have heard of 'not bullseye the subject' or 'capture elements which lead the eye around'.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Nov 21, 2017 19:09 as a reply to Wilt's post |  #10

Rule of odds is one of the 'odder'rules. According to it, the subjects you include in your images should come in ones, threes or fives, etc.

It's supposedly all about balance. I think it's a load of old tosh ... but thinking about how the elements of an image are balanced or imbalanced is not tosh at all.

Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
2,912 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Post has been edited 20 days ago by davesrose.
Nov 21, 2017 19:16 |  #11

There are a lot of different rules, so if you're making an engaging composition, chances are it's following it least one rule! I have a BFA in art, and have been through many group critiques. A lot of the theories of composition has to do with how your eye is lead throughout. Whether you have triangular leading lines or circular ones....rule of odds is just another theory in not centering everything and having some counterbalance to your composition. Another painter's trick in looking at composition is to take your image and turn it upside down...see if it makes sense or looks odd from a more abstract view.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Post has been last edited 20 days ago by airfrogusmc. 2 edits done in total.
Nov 21, 2017 19:35 |  #12

DaviSto wrote in post #18501426 (external link)
It's hard to disagree with any of that ... except that the so-called 'rules' do give you a frame of reference when composing a photograph. As long as they are treated as just a particular set of conventions that can be usefully taken into account in composition, they at least set you thinking about some of the right questions.

As Weston pointed out composition should become part of a personal way of seeing not part of some formula. I think things like RoTs do more to hurt new photographers than it does help because they then dismiss thus do not photograph things that fall outside those parameters. Also when they judge images they base whether it is good on those parameters. If you want to make photographs like everyone else makes then get RoTs scribed onto your focusing screen, I think you would be far better served to listen to Weston.

Watch the video I posted because I couldn't agree more with Maisel.

Rule of odds is just another silly rule just like RoTs. There is also rule of 1/5 or 4/5ths that some landscape photographers tend to go by. That is also a silly rule.

BTW I have a B/A in photography and have taught it on the college level.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been edited 20 days ago by Left Handed Brisket.
Nov 21, 2017 20:53 |  #13

The worst thing that ever happened to composition guidelines is when some jerk decided they should be called rules.

:lol:

It has always puzzled me that these "rules" are taken so seriously by people who ascribe such importance to either ignoring or implementing them.

Kind of the same category as "I'm a natural light photographer."

Puke.

Do what works.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Cole101
Hatchling
Joined Nov 2017
North Conway, NH
Nov 21, 2017 21:10 |  #14

As Jay says....forget the rules and photograph what looks like it worth photographing to you. That said, things usually look pretty damn good in groups of three.

DigitalDon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2012
Post has been last edited 19 days ago by DigitalDon with reason 'Add URL'. 2 edits done in total.
Nov 22, 2017 08:19 |  #15

I watch the ID channel on tv and I have noticed the thought that went into scenes for their one hour show, most things I’ve learned here I can see them applied in their one hour show.
Until last night after reading about and viewing YouTube videos of Rule of odds, I noticed in the videos on the ID channel how they put the rule of odds to use and the used it a whole lot.
I guess it’s like when I first bought my Jeep seemed like every where I went I saw jeeps, I never payed attention to Jeeps until I got one.
Start at 4:08 in video https://youtu.be/n-1tq0FEBV4 (external link)

sponsored links

4,557 views & 59 likes for this thread
Rule of Odds
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.