Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Lenses
Thread started 23 Nov 2017 (Thursday) 19:13
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Is this lens sharp enough?

daystar
580 posts
Joined Aug 2008
East Coast, US
Nov 23, 2017 19:13 |  #1

I'm sorry if this isn't the right place for this question, but I wasn't sure where to post it.

I just purchased the Sigma 85mm ART with the USB dock and have been trying to fine-tune it tonight. This image below is a 100% crop. I'm not looking specifically if it's perfectly tuned or not but rather what is in focus - is what is in focus sharp enough or should I be expecting more/better? It just seems a little soft to me, but I have never done this type of autofocus tuning and this type of pixel-peeping. So I don't know how picky I should be here. What do you think? Is this a good copy or should I send it back for another?

For reference, the camera was on a tripod and I used the self-timer to take the pictures. This particular image was taken at 8ft.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Nikon D750 | Nikon D7100 | 85mm 1.8G | 50mm 1.8G | 35mm 1.8G | Tamron 70-200 2.8

sponsored links
DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Nov 23, 2017 19:17 |  #2

Why are you shooting at 1/25? I know you are using a tripod but I still think it would be better to shoot at a faster shutter speed and to put a bit more light onto the target at the same time.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

daystar
THREAD ­ STARTER
580 posts
Joined Aug 2008
East Coast, US
Nov 23, 2017 19:19 |  #3

It's due to the available light in the house. I was also trying to keep the ISO as low as possible per the instructions I found. Would bumping the SS improve the focus in this situation?

Nikon D750 | Nikon D7100 | 85mm 1.8G | 50mm 1.8G | 35mm 1.8G | Tamron 70-200 2.8

DaviSto
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Post has been edited 3 months ago by DaviSto.
Nov 23, 2017 19:23 |  #4

daystar wrote in post #18502944 (external link)
It's due to the available light in the house. I was also trying to keep the ISO as low as possible per the instructions I found. Would bumping the SS improve the focus in this situation?

I'm no expert ... but the underlying problem might just be lack of light. I don't think that shot you posted is adequately sharp btw. I would expect better. But I don't think you are giving the lens a fair crack of the whip unless you give it a brighter target to focus on.

David.

daystar
THREAD ­ STARTER
580 posts
Joined Aug 2008
East Coast, US
Nov 23, 2017 19:26 as a reply to DaviSto's post |  #5

I can see your point. I got the lens yesterday, but due to sick kids, Thanksgiving, and everything else I hadn't had a chance to mess with it. My impatience led me to trying to do it tonight. I'll try again tomorrow during the day with more light and see if that makes a difference.

Thank you for taking the time to help. :)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been edited 3 months ago by Left Handed Brisket.
Nov 23, 2017 19:50 |  #6

Clearly the plane of focus is on the chart so it's not a focus issue.

It doesn't really look like motion blur but it could be. Use three second timer and mirror lock up for your next test to eliminate any shake.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

DaviSto
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Post has been edited 3 months ago by DaviSto.
Nov 23, 2017 19:58 as a reply to Left Handed Brisket's post |  #7

I agree ... the camera/lens has focused within the area of the chart ... yet no part of the chart is sharp. But at 1/25, it would not take much camera vibration or, possibly, movement of the the chart to blur the image. Repeating the process with more light on the chart and a faster shutter speed (and other measures to eliminate vibration) would be the right place to begin.

Edit: is it a good steady tripod?

David.

daystar
THREAD ­ STARTER
580 posts
Joined Aug 2008
East Coast, US
Post has been edited 3 months ago by daystar.
Nov 23, 2017 20:03 |  #8

OK, tomorrow I'll give it a go again with better light and faster shutter speed. I've never done mirror lock up before so I'll research that one first before trying it. Thank you!

Edit: just saw your edit...my tripod is....acceptable...not the best by a long shot. But it's all I have to work with at this point.

theejl
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Minnesnowta
Nov 23, 2017 20:11 as a reply to daystar's post |  #9

Is the tripod on a solid surface, like hardwood floor, or is it on carpet? If it is on carpet, just walking away from it after triggering the timer might cause slight movement of the tripod. Just a thought.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Nov 23, 2017 20:13 |  #10

daystar wrote in post #18502960 (external link)
OK, tomorrow I'll give it a go again with better light and faster shutter speed. I've never done mirror lock up before so I'll research that one first before trying it. Thank you!

Edit: just saw your edit...my tripod is....acceptable...not the best by a long shot. But it's all I have to work with at this point.

Mirror lock up is on the dial of the 750, the MUP selection I think. The delay shutter is chosen in a menu, I forget which one but it is pretty easy set up.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

daystar
THREAD ­ STARTER
580 posts
Joined Aug 2008
East Coast, US
Nov 23, 2017 20:18 |  #11

theejl wrote in post #18502964 (external link)
Is the tripod on a solid surface, like hardwood floor, or is it on carpet? If it is on carpet, just walking away from it after triggering the timer might cause slight movement of the tripod. Just a thought.

It's on hardwood.

daystar
THREAD ­ STARTER
580 posts
Joined Aug 2008
East Coast, US
Nov 23, 2017 20:18 |  #12

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18502965 (external link)
Mirror lock up is on the dial of the 750, the MUP selection I think. The delay shutter is chosen in a menu, I forget which one but it is pretty easy set up.

Thank you! I'll check it out.

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,189 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Chicago, Illinois
Nov 23, 2017 20:21 |  #13

Oddly, I found that actually photos where sharper than the myriad of chart tests I use to do. Try it real situations addition to the chart testing.

daystar
THREAD ­ STARTER
580 posts
Joined Aug 2008
East Coast, US
Nov 23, 2017 20:48 |  #14

kjonnnn wrote in post #18502973 (external link)
Oddly, I found that actually photos where sharper than the myriad of chart tests I use to do. Try it real situations addition to the chart testing.

Will do! Thanks!

Peano
Goldmember
1,652 posts
Joined Aug 2007
Nov 23, 2017 20:50 |  #15

Doesn't look like a reliable test. As others have suggested, more light and faster shutter speed.

Compare the sharpness at A with the more blurred edge at B. Looks like some camera movement.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

---
Peano
RadiantPics.comexternal link

sponsored links

3,280 views & 2 likes for this thread
Is this lens sharp enough?
FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.