Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras
Thread started 25 Nov 2017 (Saturday) 15:47
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Today's thoughts on Fuji RAW handling?

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Nov 25, 2017 15:47 |  #1

Hey all,

Was browsing around, trying to do some research on Fuji RAW handling. I really don't enjoy the free RAW converter from Silky, it converts fine, but RAW manipulation is not intuitive and I'd rather see what other options there are.

Capture One comes up a lot as a top recommendation, but it's $299 for a single person license. I don't need a pixel editor. Just a RAW manipulator and converter. I still process at the pixel level using Photoshop CS5.1 because I own the license and have no need for more than it does right now in terms of pixel level editing. But I could benefit from newer RAW manipulation.

I know Lightroom is popular, but comments about it being slow and differing levels of support based on the version for Fuji's RAWs is also there. But Lightroom6 is $150 with no subscription. That's tempting.

What else is there that is great for RAW manipulation and management, but isn't a pixel level editor suite? I don't need a huge suite of software. Just something modern that handles today's Fuji RAWs well. My main goal is to have something to quickly and intuitively manipulate shadows, highlights, exposure and white balance with flexibility.

Most things I've read are now a year old or more. Looking for today's thoughts from the Fuji users. :)

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

sponsored links
Jelloneck
Joined Nov 2010
Raleigh, NC
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Jelloneck.
Nov 26, 2017 12:28 |  #2

I've been playing around with On1 Photo RAW 2018 the last couple days with the trial. More than enough flexibility in editing for my purposes. They have a 30 day trial and right now they have the full version for $100.

I also briefly looked into Luminar but it seems like the Windows version is not quite ready. Missing menu options, basic application design/features were not included. They do have a timeline to add more fixes, but it just put a bad impression of the company to release the app when it should not have been released until it was ready. That and also the fact the DAM is not available until 2018 and then if you dont care for that design, you're out of luck getting a refund. I do hear the Mac version is pretty good though.

Here are a couple youtube videos specific to Fuji raw.

Gear List/Feedback |Instagram (external link)|

MalVeauX
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Post has been edited 2 months ago by MalVeauX.
Nov 26, 2017 15:00 |  #3

Thanks, very interesting stuff.

On1 is looking promising in many ways. I suppose competition is out there finally really pushing to get people who are not happy with subscription based software. Might have to try it for $99. Don't mind paying for it if it's really great and I don't have to pay a subscription forever. I'm the type that will use it until it really doesn't work anymore (still kicking PS CS5.1 until I literally cannot). Interesting pricing structure.... $100, $150 and $300 hah.

Very best,

Jelloneck
Joined Nov 2010
Raleigh, NC
Nov 26, 2017 20:13 as a reply to MalVeauX's post |  #4

Just got an email for On1, with promo code BFRAW it drops the price to $90.

Gear List/Feedback |Instagram (external link)|

nqjudo
Goldmember
2,718 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Canada
Nov 26, 2017 20:35 |  #5

MV - Some of what you are hearing about LR and Fiji RAWs may be residual from the early days. LR is a lot faster with Fuji now and it does a competent job replicating the in-camera processing.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

MalVeauX
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Nov 26, 2017 21:08 |  #6

Cool thanks,

Yea, hard to find relevant recent info, which is why I'm asking about today's thoughts.

Very best,

jcothron
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2008
Gainesville, GA
Nov 26, 2017 21:32 |  #7

MalVeauX wrote in post #18504810 (external link)
Cool thanks,

Yea, hard to find relevant recent info, which is why I'm asking about today's thoughts.

Very best,

Granted I just got a Fuji a week or so ago so don't have a tremendous amount of time with the files, but I haven't had an issue at all in Lr. (Classic cc) I. Fact I would say it's faster than moth my 5d4 files which makes sense considering the size.

John
Gear List|My Flickr (external link)|Website (external link)|500px (external link)

Lumens
379 posts
Joined Dec 2013
Mesa, AZ
Nov 27, 2017 06:50 |  #8

I use the Fuji XT-2 and have been looking at LR alternatives now for the past month. I've downloaded and tried most. If you need the Digital Asset Manager then Capture One, On1 Raw, and ACDSee are all great alternatives. I prefer ACDSee over all including LR, for some reason it just works for me and on Mac right click and Open any photo in whatever editor/developer you wish. So ACDSee with Affinity, Pictorial, Topaz or any thing you wish really makes a good combo allowing the freedom to have a DAM and any desired editor/developer work as one.

I really like Luminar as an editor/developer but it does not have the DAM yet so the ACDSee/Luminar combo works great. I am looking forward to the Luminar DAM in 2018. Overall they all pretty much provide a 30 day trail so download and play with each until you find what works for you.

FUJI XT1 -> XF 10-24, XF 18-55, XF 55-200, XF 27mm pancake
6D -> Canon 28mm f2.8 IS, Canon 50mm f1.4, Canon 85mm f1.8, Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro IS
Canon 24-105 f4L, Canon EF 70-200 f4L IS USM, Canon EF 100-400L IS
7D -> Canon EF-S 15-85

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2014
Ireland
Nov 27, 2017 08:45 |  #9

I love Lr for all but the speed, that sucks.

Have look at Alien Exposure 3 as another alternative

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T1, X-E2 | 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 10-24/4. AD600BM, TT865F, AL-H198, ThinkTank AS2, Peli1514, Ona Bowery, Matthews Grip
flickr (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)

05Xrunner
Goldmember, Flipflopper.
Joined Dec 2005
Pittsburgh PA
Nov 27, 2017 09:47 |  #10

nqjudo wrote in post #18504790 (external link)
MV - Some of what you are hearing about LR and Fiji RAWs may be residual from the early days. LR is a lot faster with Fuji now and it does a competent job replicating the in-camera processing.

yes lightroom handles them but sharpening a fuji file in lightroom causes some weird worm artifact in the image all over. Compared to Capture one or Luminar that do not cause these issues when sharpening.

My gear
Canon 7D Mark II, Canon 35 f2 IS, Sigma 50 1.4 EX, Canon 100mm f2, Sigma 17-50 2.8OS, Tamron 70-200 2.8 G2, Sigma 150-600 C, Shanny SN600C flash, Tascam DR-05 v2
Fuji X-T1, Fuji 18-55 2.8-4 OIS, Fuji 35 f2, Fuji 55-200 3.5-4.8 OIS

rantercsr
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2014
Nov 27, 2017 10:29 |  #11

05Xrunner wrote in post #18505077 (external link)
yes lightroom handles them but sharpening a fuji file in lightroom causes some weird worm artifact in the image all over. Compared to Capture one or Luminar that do not cause these issues when sharpening.

I remove all sharpening in LR .
Add a high pass in PS
Helps some with the "worms"

Although hasnt really been an issue for me with portraits / people.
And seems like thats most of what Mal. Is doing with his fuji.
I think LR runs well with fuji.. not really noticing it horribly slow compared to my canon/sony files.. there is a bit of extra seconds maybe.. but again in not finding it a big deal.

I tried the trial version of capture1 and really liked it .. but i would still need PS for portrait retouching . And so I passes on it

Canon / Fuji / Sony / Pentax (Gear subject to change by the minute )
https://www.instagram.​com/shotbypops/ (external link) MYflickr (external link)

monty87
283 posts
Joined Feb 2008
So Cal High Desert
Nov 27, 2017 15:19 |  #12

The best looking raw converter I have used is Irident Developer. They have full suite application for the Mac and the X-transformer converter that can be used with both mac and windows, which seem to give me the best raw conversion for Fuji raw files. The X-Transfomer is only $30.

I use FawRawViewer to analyze and cull my Raws. Then I process only the ones I like with X-transformer. Those then get loaded into Lighroom CC/Photoshop for final processing.

Monty - http://umang.photograp​hy/external link

nqjudo
Goldmember
2,718 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Canada
Nov 27, 2017 15:52 |  #13

05Xrunner wrote in post #18505077 (external link)

With so many variables at play I don’t doubt your experience but I don’t share it.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

MalVeauX
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Nov 27, 2017 17:17 |  #14

I've never had a RAW manipulator other than Canon's DPP, so all of this is new to me.

Trying out On1 RAW just to see. My main interest has been a good way easily lift shadows before bothering fooling with it as a TIF in photoshop and lifting shadows there only to find out its mush. I also like the slider approach that all these softwares seem to have, LR and all of them share this, so that's a nice change of pace for me.

Just testing out ISO 200 dynamic range on the Fuji X100S in On1 RAW to see. I did a -2/3rd EC exposure at F2 and ISO 200 to preserve highlights and see if I could lift shadows successfully without it being totally gross looking and see if the color would also still be vibrant. So far, it seems to work well (and my sensors are generally 8~12 years old on my Canons, so a newer sensor like these Fujis are a nice change of pace in terms of how I can shoot now; must be a real treat on those Sony sensors....).

Before:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

After shadow recovery, etc:

HOSTED PHOTO

Very best,

05Xrunner
Goldmember, Flipflopper.
Joined Dec 2005
Pittsburgh PA
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by 05Xrunner. 2 edits done in total.
Nov 27, 2017 18:37 |  #15

nqjudo wrote in post #18505359 (external link)
With so many variables at play I don’t doubt your experience but I don’t share it.

here you can see.Only a decent amount of sharpening applied to both images. No other adjustments made. 100% crop
Lightroom top and Capture one bottom.
Its not a HUGE deal, but for some maybe portrait photogs the wormy look maybe cause issues with the skin.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

My gear
Canon 7D Mark II, Canon 35 f2 IS, Sigma 50 1.4 EX, Canon 100mm f2, Sigma 17-50 2.8OS, Tamron 70-200 2.8 G2, Sigma 150-600 C, Shanny SN600C flash, Tascam DR-05 v2
Fuji X-T1, Fuji 18-55 2.8-4 OIS, Fuji 35 f2, Fuji 55-200 3.5-4.8 OIS

sponsored links

1,942 views & 20 likes for this thread
Today's thoughts on Fuji RAW handling?
FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.