Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 26 Nov 2017 (Sunday) 14:04
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Do I need a flash transmitter?

EricJrSax
Joined Sep 2013
Baltimore
Nov 26, 2017 22:59 |  #16

bobbyz wrote in post #18504843 (external link)
Not sure why make life hard. Spend $50, get the X1C trigger and be happy.

Yeah,... what Bobby said. Leave some Tylenol for the rest of us!

sponsored links
inkista
499 posts
Joined Oct 2007
San Diego, CA, USA
Nov 26, 2017 23:37 |  #17

wantafastbusa wrote in post #18504680 (external link)
The flash does support wireless signal along with optical. I'm just not sure if the camera does.

It does. The 80D's pop-up flash can be used as a master in Canon's wireless "smart" optical eTTL system. You should have TTL, HSS and remote power/ratio control, Gr mode, etc. Everything but 2nd curtain. :D

But. Because it's an optical system, it will require line of sight, and will be less reliable if you go outside where the ambient light levels are bright enough to overpower the optical signalling, and there are no bounce surfaces around. The sensor for the optical slaving is under the red panel on the front of the TT685C.

Just out of curiousity, why does the camera offer different channels and firing groups? Is it able to detect or signal optically which flash it wants to?

Different channels prevents someone from nearby who's using the same system from setting off your remote flashes. The groups are for controlling separate lights with separate settings (usually power levels or mode). With an 80D, you can use Gr mode, and have one group in TTL and another in M if you want, and set FEC or power ratios directly for the individual groups.

wantafastbusa wrote in post #18504693 (external link)
Finally got it going! Apparently lightning bolt symbol is optical. Now I need to test what kind of range I can get away with.

Indoors and outdoors will probably give you different results. :) An XPro-C or X1T-C would be worth getting if you plan on doing location work outside in bright sunlight often. Radio doesn't have the line-of-sight issues optical does, and for outdoors work, often has better range/reliability.

The camera also has a wireless option for flash, but does not detect the godox. Does anyone know if I have to have a proprietary canon flash for this to happen?

It should detect the Godox if you have it set to be a "smart" optical slave, but basically you're driving it via the pop-up flash's wireless functions on the 80D. If your pop-up flash is down, you have no master to trip the TT685C off-camera. It won't detect if you're using the "dumb" optical S1/S2 modes. The S1/S2 modes are simple see-flash/fire-flash sensor modes. S1 fires on the first flash, S2 on the 2nd. But any flash burst can set these two modes off, you only have manual syncing. S2 skips the metering pre-burst that happens if the "master" flash is in TTL. Keep in mind that the "dumb" and "smart" systems, while both light-based, are incompatible and separate. Do not try to use any wireless functions on the camera menus with the S1/S2 modes. The "smart" system uses multiple pre-flashes that will trip things early with a dumb optical slave system.

I'm a woman. I shoot with a Fuji X100T, Panasonic GX-7, Canon 5DmkII, and 50D. flickr stream (external link)

wantafastbusa
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2017
Nov 27, 2017 19:49 |  #18

MalVeauX wrote in post #18504816 (external link)
The Canon will use it's own proprietary stuff. It won't talk to that Godox without a transmitter.

But as you see, you can trigger it with old school optical slave and it will work fine, no matter if it's from a Canon or another source.

You could sell this flash and buy a Canon flash and spend over twice what you will sell this for (and that's buying used!).
Or you can send $40 and get an R2 transmitter that will talk to that flash, and all future R2 system flashes, control groups, control multi-flash setups, etc.
And you will not gain much of anything by getting that Canon flash as an alternative.
I would just build around the R2 system. It's quite good.

Very best,

This is why I love this forum, so much help from everyone. Thanks again.

Canon 80d
50mm 1.8
24-105mm f4 L
70-200mm f2.8 L IS2
10-18mm f4.5-5.6
godox TT685

wantafastbusa
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2017
Nov 27, 2017 19:52 |  #19

bobbyz wrote in post #18504843 (external link)
Not sure why make life hard. Spend $50, get the X1C trigger and be happy.

I am making life easier, which is why I made this post instead of fighting to configure something that I now know isn't possible. All of this is new to me as I'm sure you can tell.

Canon 80d
50mm 1.8
24-105mm f4 L
70-200mm f2.8 L IS2
10-18mm f4.5-5.6
godox TT685

wantafastbusa
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2017
Nov 27, 2017 19:54 |  #20

inkista wrote in post #18504892 (external link)
It does. The 80D's pop-up flash can be used as a master in Canon's wireless "smart" optical eTTL system. You should have TTL, HSS and remote power/ratio control, Gr mode, etc. Everything but 2nd curtain. :D

But. Because it's an optical system, it will require line of sight, and will be less reliable if you go outside where the ambient light levels are bright enough to overpower the optical signalling, and there are no bounce surfaces around. The sensor for the optical slaving is under the red panel on the front of the TT685C.

Different channels prevents someone from nearby who's using the same system from setting off your remote flashes. The groups are for controlling separate lights with separate settings (usually power levels or mode). With an 80D, you can use Gr mode, and have one group in TTL and another in M if you want, and set FEC or power ratios directly for the individual groups.

Indoors and outdoors will probably give you different results. :) An XPro-C or X1T-C would be worth getting if you plan on doing location work outside in bright sunlight often. Radio doesn't have the line-of-sight issues optical does, and for outdoors work, often has better range/reliability.

It should detect the Godox if you have it set to be a "smart" optical slave, but basically you're driving it via the pop-up flash's wireless functions on the 80D. If your pop-up flash is down, you have no master to trip the TT685C off-camera. It won't detect if you're using the "dumb" optical S1/S2 modes. The S1/S2 modes are simple see-flash/fire-flash sensor modes. S1 fires on the first flash, S2 on the 2nd. But any flash burst can set these two modes off, you only have manual syncing. S2 skips the metering pre-burst that happens if the "master" flash is in TTL. Keep in mind that the "dumb" and "smart" systems, while both light-based, are incompatible and separate. Do not try to use any wireless functions on the camera menus with the S1/S2 modes. The "smart" system uses multiple pre-flashes that will trip things early with a dumb optical slave system.

Thanks for taking the time to clarify. It is no longer clear as mud to me. :)

Canon 80d
50mm 1.8
24-105mm f4 L
70-200mm f2.8 L IS2
10-18mm f4.5-5.6
godox TT685

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,541 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA
Nov 27, 2017 20:51 |  #21

wantafastbusa wrote in post #18505497 (external link)
I am making life easier, which is why I made this post instead of fighting to configure something that I now know isn't possible. All of this is new to me as I'm sure you can tell.

Only reason I say this is that next post will be why the optical system is not working as intended. Been there, done that. Get the radio Tx and avoid problems of the optical system.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

Phil ­ V
Goldmember
1,950 posts
Joined Jan 2005
S Yorks UK
Post has been edited 16 days ago by Phil V.
Nov 29, 2017 01:28 |  #22

Just to add an update, if you’re planning to put a radio transmitter on your Christmas list, try the XPro-c rather than the x1c,a much nicer interface.

Gear List
website: South Yorkshire Wedding photographer in Doncaster (external link)
Twitter (external link)Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

1,370 views & 9 likes for this thread
Do I need a flash transmitter?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.