Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings
Thread started 26 Nov 2017 (Sunday) 18:25
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

This is probably parallel vertical heresy...

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Nov 26, 2017 18:25 |  #1

...but, in a lot of images, mine as well as others, making sure verticals are parallel, especially with taller buildings makes them look like they are larger at the top than bottom.

Here's a portfolio of images from a job last fall: http://architecture.dm​wfotos.com/lifescience​/ (external link)

I struggled to get the images looking "right" for verticals. I was surprised how often the image that was most visually pleasing didn't have parallel verticals using the guides in Photoshop.

Thoughts?

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

sponsored links
windpig
Chopped liver
14,589 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2008
Just South of Ballard
Nov 26, 2017 18:30 |  #2

dmward wrote in post #18504706 (external link)
...but, in a lot of images, mine as well as others, making sure verticals are parallel, especially with taller buildings makes them look like they are larger at the top than bottom.

Here's a portfolio of images from a job last fall: http://architecture.dm​wfotos.com/lifescience​/ (external link)

I struggled to get the images looking "right" for verticals. I was surprised how often the image that was most visually pleasing didn't have parallel verticals using the guides in Photoshop.

Thoughts?

I totally agree with your perfect verticals comment. Look at the TS17 and TS24 threads to see this. I think non perfect verticals work better in some architecture images.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been last edited 19 days ago by Left Handed Brisket. 2 edits done in total.
Nov 26, 2017 18:38 |  #3

An interior room with 8 foot ceilings should be basically perfect.

One or two story houses should generally be perfect.

I rarely make any thing taller perfect. The taller the building the more absurd it can look. The only exception that comes to my tired mind is if the camera is not at ground level. If camera perspective is in the middle of the large room/building height, keeping them parallel and vertical can be important.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Nov 26, 2017 20:53 |  #4

In real life our eyes don't see tall buildings as having exactly parallel verticals. There is a slight convergence so it make sense that it will look a little odd if tall verticals are exactly parallel. It isn't as extreme as the camera causes but it is there. For that reason I tend to leave a little convergence when adjusting taller buildings.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Post has been edited 19 days ago by Alveric.
Nov 26, 2017 22:02 |  #5

Yes, you can have things too perfect. But, re-introducing a wee bit of keystoning in post 'straightens' the building out for the eye. Only a smidgen, mind you, a degree or two, no more. The taller the building, the more 'correction' you need. Short buildings are OK with the verticals remaining truly vertical.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

dmward
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Nov 26, 2017 23:33 |  #6

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18504719 (external link)
An interior room with 8 foot ceilings should be basically perfect.

One or two story houses should generally be perfect.

I rarely make any thing taller perfect. The taller the building the more absurd it can look. The only exception that comes to my tired mind is if the camera is not at ground level. If camera perspective is in the middle of the large room/building height, keeping them parallel and vertical can be important.

That’s about the height considerations use as well.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

Pippan
Joined Oct 2015
Darwin, Australia
Post has been edited 19 days ago by Pippan.
Nov 26, 2017 23:44 |  #7

dmward wrote in post #18504706 (external link)

Thoughts?

The Greek architects 2,500 years ago understood this. That's why the columns of buildings from that era taper slightly towards the top. It's because of the way our brains interpret what we see.

I've been meaning to comment on this in relation to photos of buildings for some time, but didn't want to offend people. Yes, perfect verticals do look like they're larger at the top. Verticals should be adjusted so they look right to the eye, i.e. with a tiny bit of tapering.

dmward
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Nov 27, 2017 18:10 |  #8

Pippan wrote in post #18504896 (external link)
The Greek architects 2,500 years ago understood this. That's why the columns of buildings from that era taper slightly towards the top. It's because of the way our brains interpret what we see.

I've been meaning to comment on this in relation to photos of buildings for some time, but didn't want to offend people. Yes, perfect verticals do look like they're larger at the top. Verticals should be adjusted so they look right to the eye, i.e. with a tiny bit of tapering.

I remember the greek columns from art history. For some reason that eluded me when i was trying to figure out why the "true" verticals in photos make the buildings look weird.

sponsored links

236 views & 2 likes for this thread
This is probably parallel vertical heresy...
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.