Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 27 Nov 2017 (Monday) 13:26
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

ADVICE needed - Contacted by Local Chamber About Using Photos in Print

Sideshot
79 posts
Joined Nov 2017
Nov 27, 2017 15:35 |  #16

Ask- "Whats your budget ?" and go from there.

Personally I would not do it for "credit". When you give things away you just devalue them.

sponsored links
DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Nov 27, 2017 15:39 |  #17

Sideshot wrote in post #18505352 (external link)
Ask- "Whats your budget ?" and go from there.

Personally I would not do it for "credit". When you give things away you just devalue them.

Anybody asks me 'What's your budget?', the answer is 'None of your business ... what's your price?'. That's how business works.

Of course, if I am in the business of pricing something, I will try hard to figure out how much the buyer is willing to pay ... but, unless I think they are very stupid, I won't ask them.

Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

PhotosGuy
74,988 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Nov 27, 2017 15:48 |  #18

DaviSto wrote in post #18505355 (external link)
Anybody asks me 'What's your budget?', the answer is 'None of your business ... what's your price?'. That's how business works.

Of course, if I am in the business of pricing something, I will try hard to figure out how much the buyer is willing to pay ... but, unless I think they are very stupid, I won't ask them.

I've always asked, 'What's your budget?'. Then I know if I even want to discuss the job.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by Dan Marchant. 2 edits done in total.
Nov 27, 2017 21:48 |  #19

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Credit/exposure are worthless. They won't pay the rent, put food on the table or buy hay for the horse that pulls your Wagon.

The only time you should work for free is when the job gets you access to something you wouldn't otherwise be able to access, which will result in a major boost to your portfolio. Given that you have already shot these images it doesn't appear that they have anything of value to offer in that regard.

Having the printed leaflet is OK, but again of no value in itself. No one will look at it and contact you as a result. The only use for it is to go in your portfolio - and only then if you make sure to include it in presentations to future clients.

Your option of sending them your print prices was the right move. If they say no you can counter with a fee of free membership and if they baulk at that then they really have nothing of value to offer you.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

HammerCope
784 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Nebraska
Nov 30, 2017 12:19 |  #20

Hope you get paid for this work. Please let us all know how it turns out.

Pete
Canon 40D & 7D 24-70 F2.8 L 70-200 F4 L Norman 400B, AB800,AB1600 White Lighting 3200

Bcaps
I was a little buzzed when I took this
Joined Jun 2003
Bay Area, CA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Bcaps.
Nov 30, 2017 15:35 |  #21

The brochure that they are putting together will be filled with ads from a lot of local businesses. They pay to have those ad placements and in my city those ads are not cheap. Check out the pricing shown below from 2010. The revenue from the ad placements would have been (I'm guessing) $70-100K. If they don't have any money (yeah, right) I would ask for a free color half-page ad. If they say no to that they are obviously just trying to get something for nothing.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

- Dave | flickr (external link)
Nikon D810
14-24mm f/2.8 | 16-35mm F/4 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/4 | Sigma 150-600mm

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Dec 10, 2017 11:14 |  #22

skwty wrote in post #18505259 (external link)
I am torn, as usual.

I do not want to throw away an income possibility, while at the same time if I put a $$ on the photos, the exposure might be gone either way.

I would prefer not to say, "well, it's this much to use my photos in print....oh you have no budget?....well, then OK, here are the images to use free but with credit".

Dan Marchant wrote in post #18505590 (external link)
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Dan Marchant in
./showthread.php?p=185​05590&i=i1439950
forum: The Business of Photography
Credit/exposure are worthless. They won't pay the rent, put food on the table or buy hay for the horse that pulls your Wagon.

Dan is absolutely correct. . Exposure is worthless. . In fact, it isn't really even exposure, because no one will care about who took those photos, and few will bother to look at the credit, even if it is printed there. . And even if some people see your name in the credit, they won't care ....... it's not like those people are ever going to hire you for anything because they saw your name in a COC publication.

--------------- --------------- --------------- --------------- ---------------

One really important thing to remember when doing a contract with a Chamber of Commerce is to make sure that you clearly state that there is to be NO THIRD PARTY USE FOR ANY REASON.

COCs are notorious for allowing their member businesses to use photos that they have acquired for their own publications. . This isn't like the AP - just because the COC is paying for usage doesn't mean that any of their members can use the photos. . You need to be very clear and very firm on this or your photos will start popping up on local businesses Facebook pages, in their ads, and in the "about us" portions of their websites.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

Sideshot
79 posts
Joined Nov 2017
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Sideshot.
Dec 12, 2017 09:40 |  #23

That's how your business works.

As a contractor for many things you have to know a budget to discuss a project. Are you talking about a 100k home or a 1million dollar home ?
People will talk about redwood decks, vaulted ceilings all day long.. then to find out they have enough for a trailer home.

Same with websites, people will tell me about how they want to take over Amazon and ebay. I need to know what kind of budget they have so I can tell them I can help them or what I can do for them,
Or If they want 100k worth of work for 1k I can tell them I can't help them and get on with my day.

'None of your business

Ok, have a nice day. I hope you find what you are looking for.

skwty
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2013
Wisconsin
Dec 12, 2017 14:22 |  #24

Thanks to everyone for your input. The deal is done. A few days after I mentioned I would not do it for credit and sent over my pricing, I was told they "have a budget". I replied that they should "understand that I have a business and that I could work with them based on the number of photos purchased. 3 days later, I was contacted about purchasing photos.

The Chamber had chosen 8 photos in total and just wanted to print them in the "2018 Relocation Guide".

I sent them a contract (which included the usage guidelines) and total pricing based on the 8 photos and that was narrowed down to just 4 photos (I think they had chosen 2 for each of their categories, then chose the best 4 total).

The check has arrived and all is good. I am also in for future "business" as they asked me if I could be on call to do photos in the local area as needed. I said "yes", of course with notice, and explained that the pricing would be on a case by case basis since many of those images would be used for local promotion ONLINE and not in print.

I have learned a lot and made some money, so I am happy with how it turned out. Again, thank you for the guidance and reassuring me of the reasons that I come to a community, like this, for advice.

I hope others can learn from this as well.

Take. | Share. (external link) | Enjoy (external link) <--- I follow this.
Canon 7D Mark II & Canon T2i [18-55mm kit] - [55-250mm kit] - [50 F1.8] - [10-18mm] - [70-200mm F2.8L II] - all others rented :)
Facebook (external link) -- Instgram (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Dec 12, 2017 23:19 as a reply to skwty's post |  #25

Thanks for the update. Not only shows that people will pay but also that they can be turned into on-going customers.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

sponsored links

1,202 views & 36 likes for this thread
ADVICE needed - Contacted by Local Chamber About Using Photos in Print
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.