Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch
Thread started 28 Nov 2017 (Tuesday) 18:58
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Looks like UPS starting to suck around this time now...

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,080 posts
Joined Jan 2008
NYC
Nov 28, 2017 18:58 |  #1

Ordered some Christmas gifts for my niece from BH and the order was shipped out pretty quick...by Sunday night. Should have received them yesterday (BH offering one day shipping for local NYC orders)..even got the Out for Delivery notification from UPS. By the end of the day, no show. So, I am supposed to get it today but the tracking status reverted back to Destination Scan, instead of Out for Delivery. Meaning that the package didn't get pickup by the driver in the morning and sitting in the hub. LOL... Now, few hours ago, I have just requested Hold for Pickup. Have to pick it up tomorrow at the Brooklyn hub...which is about 6 miles from me.

-?-?:-(:-(

One Imaging Photographyexternal link and my Flickrexternal link
Facebookexternal link

sponsored links
CH_Devin
Joined Sep 2009
San Francisco, CA
Nov 28, 2017 21:17 |  #2

They charge $12 for packing your item in a box, so yeah they suck.

80mm ish

TooManyShots
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,080 posts
Joined Jan 2008
NYC
Nov 28, 2017 22:10 |  #3

And they actually wanted me to pay them $8 to have the package delivered with a 2 hour window. Well, they didn't even bother to delivery the package at all yesterday...hehehehe

Facebookexternal link

carpenter
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2006
Green Bay, WI
Post has been edited 13 days ago by carpenter.
Nov 28, 2017 23:21 |  #4

I had a "sorry we missed you" package must be signed for tag on my door. Called UPS to see if they could tell me what package it was for since door tags don't have the actual tracking number on them. No record of the tag at all.

5D Mk IV | 24-105L | 85 1.8 | 70-200L 2.8 IS MkII | 100-400L MkII

Furlan
634 posts
Joined Nov 2012
Nov 29, 2017 05:27 |  #5

Same thing here, order from B&H on truck for delivery yesterday no show. Checked tracking will be delivered today?????????????

mikeinctown
Goldmember
1,971 posts
Joined May 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Nov 29, 2017 05:54 |  #6

Same here. Was off from Wednesday afternoon last week through Monday. Ordered two things to be picked up at Amazon Cleveland for Saturday delivery. One item showed the other didn't arrive until Monday at 5pm. Had ordered something Saturday morning to be delivered at my house on Monday via two day delivery and it got delivered Tuesday evening about 7pm.

Right now I have two other packages supposedly in transit with one showing today delivery but the latest scan shows in transit to carrier (for two days!) and the other left Dallas on Monday with no updates since. (only been a day and a half on the last one.)

Canon EOS 1D X | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM | Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | C |

Furlan
634 posts
Joined Nov 2012
Post has been edited 12 days ago by Furlan.
Nov 29, 2017 18:55 |  #7

Still no delivery as stated still showing Wednesday. I did a search "Is UPS having problems" I was amazed by nationwide
response as to deliveries. So if your waiting for a package good luck UPS is imploding.

UPS came thru delivery was made at 8:30 PM have never experience a delivery at this late hour.

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,744 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Post has been edited 12 days ago by Bassat.
Nov 30, 2017 01:53 |  #8

This happens every year about this time. Look for it to get worse over the next three weeks or so. Next time, consider asking for USPS delivery services.

The United States Postal Service:
Was over 100 years old when UPS was founded.
Was almost 200 years old when FEDEX was founded.
Still delivers more items EVERY DAY than UPS, FEDEX, and DHL combined deliver in a YEAR.
Will pick up your packages (and letter mail) AT YOUR DOOR, AT NO CHARGE.
Will hold/reschedule/forwar​d delivery AT NO CHARGE.

I remember when UPS went on strike in '97. Your USPS picked up the slack without missing a beat. It was a crisis for UPS and customers. The minute (relatively) increase in package volume didn't even cause a blip in USPS statistics. The Processing & Distribution Center I worked at absorbed the increase without a minute of over-time.

I have bought and sold about $20,000 worth of used camera equipment over the last 8 years or so. If given a choice, I opt to have things shipped to me via USPS Priority Mail. When selling, I ALWAYS use USPS Priority Mail. I have actually gone from listing an item on POTN, to scheduling the pickup with USPS, in less than 30 minutes.

To add some tasty butter cream frosting to the delicious marble cake that is the USPS, I've never had an item lost or damaged by the USPS. Though sometimes their tracking system is wonky, and delivery is unexpectedly slow.

Full disclosure: I am a retired, 28 year veteran of the USPS.

Tom

onick
204 posts
Joined Jul 2010
TX, USA
Nov 30, 2017 02:44 |  #9

sigh! I can relate, 3 incoming orders. All suppose to be delivered today. All of them delayed by UPS. I mean, really!!

Canon EOS 6D II | Canon EOS 550D | 18-55mm IS | 55-250mm STM | Rokinon 14mm F/2.8 | 35mm f2.0 IS | 50mm f1.8 | 135mm f2.0 L | YN-568EX II

iAMB
838 posts
Joined Mar 2009
St. Louis
Post has been edited 12 days ago by iAMB.
Nov 30, 2017 09:03 as a reply to Bassat's post |  #10

In my opinion UPS has usually excelled at the business transactions of items, not always at homes. I have been impressed with USPS Priority mail with the multiple items I have sold and received lately when coming to our home. What I find lacking are some of the people working at the small USPS places. I cant bother to walk into StL downtown location ever again.

Canon 6D Mk I
24-70mm F/4L , 70-200mm F/4L , 50mm 1.8 I , Rokinon 14mm F/2.8 & 35mm F/1.4
"I'm so far behind, it looks like I'm winning"
-Adam

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,797 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been edited 12 days ago by CyberDyneSystems.
Nov 30, 2017 09:36 |  #11

Yeah, I have two "Prime" shipments now well overdue. UPS tracking is telling me nothing about where they are/went.

The trend to online shopping via shipping continues to grow, and every year the retailers and shipping companies gear up as best they can for the volume they expect based on last year, and every year they miss the mark as it's always a record setting bump in online vs. brick and mortar sales.

The way I see it, if you are enticed by Black Friday/CyberMonday sales, expect to wait for them to arrive.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

TooManyShots
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,080 posts
Joined Jan 2008
NYC
Nov 30, 2017 10:51 |  #12

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18507395 (external link)
Yeah, I have two "Prime" shipments now well overdue. UPS tracking is telling me nothing about where they are/went.

The trend to online shopping via shipping continues to grow, and every year the retailers and shipping companies gear up as best they can for the volume they expect based on last year, and every year they miss the mark as it's always a record setting bump in online vs. brick and mortar sales.

The way I see it, if you are enticed by Black Friday/CyberMonday sales, expect to wait for them to arrive.

I have 2 packages coming via UPS...I think I would ask them to hold it for pickup instead....It seems that they can get the packages to the local hub on time but can't get them delivered on time...

Facebookexternal link

o2atoman
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Jan 2013
Toronto
Post has been edited 12 days ago by o2atoman.
Nov 30, 2017 11:04 |  #13

I've ordered a bag from Billingham on Monday. UPS says its on the Truck out for delivery. 3 days from UK to Canada seems great. Let's see if they will actually "deliver".

Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EOS M5 | Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.8 STM | Tokina AT-X 124 AF Pro DX 12-24mm f/4 |

sjnovakovich
Joined Aug 2007
Central PA
Nov 30, 2017 12:08 |  #14

Two weeks ago, I was waiting for a package. Tracking said it was left at my front door. Called UPS, and they EXPECTED ME, to go to all of my neighbors house to see if it had been dropped on one of their porches. I pitched a fit. They sent the drive back around and he DID leave it at one of my neighbors.

Steve Novakovich
www.SteveNovakovich.co​m (external link)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,744 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Nov 30, 2017 14:23 |  #15

iAMB wrote in post #18507367 (external link)
In my opinion UPS has usually excelled at the business transactions of items, not always at homes. I have been impressed with USPS Priority mail with the multiple items I have sold and received lately when coming to our home. What I find lacking are some of the people working at the small USPS places. I cant bother to walk into StL downtown location ever again.

I don't 'walk into' any Post Office, usually. Why bother spending time and money actually going 'to the Post Office' when I can print my own postage (reduced rate for online), and schedule a pickup (free), at 3:00 am while sitting at my computer in my underwear?

Tom

sponsored links

1,570 views & 15 likes for this thread
Looks like UPS starting to suck around this time now...
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.