Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial
Thread started 29 Nov 2017 (Wednesday) 21:20
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Pollux and company

Pagman
I just hold the thing :-)
Joined Dec 2011
Nov 29, 2017 21:20 |  #1

Not the best and just a single Iso 6400 exposure just messing while I was waiting for Orion to come up.

I realised something though not sure it it would make a difference? I had spot metering enabled as this is what I use by dfault.

P.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Nikon D7100, Nikkor 300 f4 IF ED :-)

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Nov 29, 2017 21:23 |  #2

Metering does nothing when you're using set values in manual. It merely tells you what your relative exposure is to the metering process if you were trying to gauge exposure. But it doesn't work for this in any meaningful way. When it comes to astro, there is no metering method beyond the histogram.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link) :: Canon 17-40L For Sale! $380!

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2011
Nov 29, 2017 21:37 |  #3

MalVeauX wrote in post #18507108 (external link)
Metering does nothing when you're using set values in manual. It merely tells you what your relative exposure is to the metering process if you were trying to gauge exposure. But it doesn't work for this in any meaningful way. When it comes to astro, there is no metering method beyond the histogram.

Very best,

I had wondered as I was seeing a concentration of contrast towards the middle almost like a center weighted mesurement, but I think was a something from going from one app to another (LR/Topaz/Photoshop.

P.

andicus
197 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Post has been edited 18 days ago by andicus.
Nov 29, 2017 22:17 |  #4

It looks like you need something to make it easier to focus.

You should try the trial version of Backyard Nikon.

This, of course, assumes you have access to a laptop, while you're imaging.

I haven't checked the Nikon features, but the Canon version does a number of things to help

You get a large image through LiveView (on the laptop), which you can zoom to 100%. That alone does wonders for focusing.

The Canon version also lets you adjust focus without having to touch the camera, with 3 levels of sensitivity.

You can set it up to take all your exposures by choosing your ISO, aperture, and exposure time, along with how many exposures you want. You can also control mirror lockup to avoid camera shake. Your images can be saved to the laptop, the camera, or both. (edit: I just read that Backyard Nikon doesn't support mirror lockup)

You can also name your target. Your files end up named with all the information. For example, when shooting M51, my images were named as:

M51_LIGHT_20s_2000iso_​+28c_20160630-00h33m23s877ms.CR2

So it's Canon raw frame of M51, a light frame, 20 second exposure ISO 2000, the sensor was 28C, and it was shot on June 30, 2016 at 00:33:23.877.

No aperture was listed as it was shot through my scope.

It is extremely useful, and fairly inexpensive if you decide to buy a full license.

You can see it, here: https://www.otelescope​.com ...remium-edition-otl-byn-p/ (external link)

Canon EOS 7D, EOS Digital Rebel XTi / EOS 400D / Kiss Digital X | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS |

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2011
Nov 29, 2017 22:26 |  #5

andicus wrote in post #18507138 (external link)
It looks like you need something to make it easier to focus.

You should try the trial version of Backyard Nikon.

This, of course, assumes you have access to a laptop, while you're imaging.

I haven't checked the Nikon features, but the Canon version does a number of things to help

You get a large image through LiveView (on the laptop), which you can zoom to 100%. That alone does wonders for focusing.

The Canon version also lets you adjust focus without having to touch the camera, with 3 levels of sensitivity.

You can set it up to take all your exposures by choosing your ISO, aperture, and exposure time, along with how many exposures you want. You can also control mirror lockup to avoid camera shake. Your images can be saved to the laptop, the camera, or both. (edit: I just read that Backyard Nikon doesn't support mirror lockup)

You can also name your target. Your files end up named with all the information. For example, when shooting M51, my images were named as:

M51_LIGHT_20s_2000iso_​+28c_20160630-00h33m23s877ms.CR2

So it's Canon raw frame of M51, a light frame, 20 second exposure ISO 2000, the sensor was 28C, and it was shot on June 30, 2016 at 00:33:23.877.

No aperture was listed as it was shot through my scope.

It is extremely useful, and fairly inexpensive if you decide to buy a full license.

You can see it, here: https://www.otelescope​.com ...remium-edition-otl-byn-p/ (external link)

Sounds like a great tool but there is no way I could hook up my laptop while outside (the wife would have kittens with the door open) its only a small outside patio we have but when I am astronamer-ing its outside in the cold door closed.

P.

andicus
197 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Nov 30, 2017 00:20 as a reply to Pagman's post |  #6

Laptops are portable! :)

Although I have power outside for my setup, you could use battery power to at least get your focus set, and do some test shots.

If it's just not feasible, that's too bad. Once you use it, you'll never want to look at a tiny camera display again.

Canon EOS 7D, EOS Digital Rebel XTi / EOS 400D / Kiss Digital X | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS |

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Nov 30, 2017 04:38 |  #7

You can also take a piece of paper/cardstock and measure/cut a bahtinov mask.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link) :: Canon 17-40L For Sale! $380!

sponsored links

253 views & 1 like for this thread
Pollux and company
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.