Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support
Thread started 01 Dec 2017 (Friday) 15:38
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Carrying 2 cameras

shaunmcfd
Joined Nov 2012
Dec 01, 2017 15:38 |  #1

I’m looking to carry both cameras at the same time. What is a good system to use? Clip, strap, etc.?

6D | 24-105 f4L | Sigma 50 2.8 Macro | 17-40 f4L| 135 f2L | 70-200 f2.8L ii | Sigma 35 1.4 Art | Tamron 24-70

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Dec 01, 2017 16:54 |  #2

It greatly depends on what you're comfortable with and the load.

I like to use a belt clip for my smaller camera (drops in via ballhead in cradle connection), while carrying my larger kit with as sling strap when I'm akimbo.

There's the dual strap harness types too.

But again, without knowing what's comfortable, the purpose, the size of the kit, etc, it's hard to tell other than our own particular setups.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link) :: Canon 17-40L For Sale! $380!

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Dec 01, 2017 17:16 |  #3

I use a Black Rapid dual strap setup to carry two cameras. I also have a ThinkTank belt system with pouches to carry extra batteries, lenses, flash, etc. Works really well for me.

Gear List

shaunmcfd
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2012
Dec 01, 2017 20:23 |  #4

It will be mainly used for event shooting. 5D4 and 6D with 70-200 and 24-70. I have read good things about the holster system (black widow or spider pro) it wanted some real world feedback.

6D | 24-105 f4L | Sigma 50 2.8 Macro | 17-40 f4L| 135 f2L | 70-200 f2.8L ii | Sigma 35 1.4 Art | Tamron 24-70

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,435 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Dec 01, 2017 20:38 |  #5

I have used this for a couple of NBA seasons.

https://www.amazon.com ...0&keywords=camera+c​arrier (external link)

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

shaunmcfd
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2012
Dec 01, 2017 20:44 as a reply to TeamSpeed's post |  #6

I saw these but not sure I am crazy about the harness around my back and sides.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,435 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Dec 01, 2017 21:02 as a reply to shaunmcfd's post |  #7

It is the only way to really distribute all the weight over a long period of time, I tried two shoulder straps and after two to three hours, for me it wasn't comfortable.

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
Pa
Dec 02, 2017 06:18 |  #8

Get the money maker and look classy:)

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

trailblazer
Joined Dec 2007
Post has been last edited 16 days ago by trailblazer. 2 edits done in total.
Dec 02, 2017 07:06 |  #9

I use the Spider Pro system and came from the Black Rapid dual harness.

The BR is good, comfortable and you can add the Joey pouches on the front, but three things always affected me:
1) The straps dangle and with two gripped bodies, 24-70 and 70-200 strapped on with speedlights on each camera, it gets in the way sometimes like at receptions with them swinging back and forth.

2) Whenever I knelt, the cameras would hit the floor, usually the speedlight, or sometimes the lens hood of the 70-200 as it is longer. This is because the BR straps have the cameras lower down my leg than the Spider Pro system.

3) the BR system caused my dress shirt to crumple and wrinkle as the straps shifted and moved around on me all day. It also covered my shirt logo which I didn't like.

After switching to the Spider Pro system, those three caveats went away and I find that distributing the weight on my hips as opposed to my shoulders, helps my back and shoulders better, especially after eight to twelve hours of lugging that gear all day.

If you shoot shorter events, then you may have a different experience.

The BR system or equivalent is a good system and I used it for six or seven years and things worked out. It's also much cheaper than the Spider Pro system, so that is a consideration as well.

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
Joined Oct 2010
Dec 02, 2017 07:51 |  #10

I use a Cotton Carrier harness to hold my camera and 300 f2.8 IS II, and a BR for another camera.
The harness distributes the weight over both shoulders, and it has breathable mesh to keep me cool.

The Cotton Carrier harness can be bought with a side holster to carry a second camera. I don't use
it as my photographer's jacket gets in the way. So I use a BR instead.

https://www.cottoncarr​ier.com/collections/ca​mera-vests (external link)

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

filmuser
Joined Jul 2016
Dec 02, 2017 11:29 |  #11

I also use Cotton carrier full system.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,435 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Dec 02, 2017 11:32 |  #12

The Opteka system I linked to earlier is a copied style of Cotton Carrier, and it is much less expensive for a reason. The locking slots are all in plastic, so the metal tripod mount buttons will wear into that over time, I believe the Cotton Carrier uses metal. However I have used the Opteka for a couple of years now and they still work well. One has to decide between longevity and budget between the two systems, if they choose that style.

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
Joined Oct 2010
Dec 02, 2017 16:14 |  #13

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18508881 (external link)
The Opteka system I linked to earlier is a copied style of Cotton Carrier, and it is much less expensive for a reason. The locking slots are all in plastic, so the metal tripod mount buttons will wear into that over time, I believe the Cotton Carrier uses metal. However I have used the Opteka for a couple of years now and they still work well. One has to decide between longevity and budget between the two systems, if they choose that style.

Wow, the Opteka looks almost identical to the Cotton Carrier. Seems like grounds for a patent lawsuit.

After reading your comment about the mount being metal, I checked my CC. The mount is heavy-duty plastic. I've had my
CC for about 6 years and used it about 40 times (mostly for air shows). No signs of wear on the mount.

As much as I like my CC it does seem to be over priced.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

-Duck-
my head is usually in the way
Joined Apr 2016
Shelton, CT USA
Dec 02, 2017 16:52 |  #14

Like others have mentioned, it is definitely dependant on a lot of factors. How much weight you'll be carrying (not just two bodies and lenses), your build plays a part, comfort level, annoyances you are willing to live with since every system has its pros and cons.

I tried the belt system but found it pulled down at my hips too much. I kept having to hike up my pants way too often. I then moved to the Black Rapid and that lasted me about a year and a half before dumping that. The straps shifted too much and the shoulder pads weren't very forgiving of the back and forth action against my neck was annoying.

My current setup isn't much better but until I find a better solution it works okay. I have one camera with a short lens on a BosStrap so it hangs on my right side (I'm right handed) and a small messenger style camera bag on my left for carrying batteries, memory cards, water bottle, business cards, pen & paper and other miscellaneous items. My second camera, with a telephoto lens, sits on a Manfrotto monopod with stabilizing legs out so I can stand the camera up next to me. I normally keep the camera at knee height. Easy to get to but not high of the ground just in case. I also keep one foot on the outspread legs for stability and to prevent someone just walking off with it.

As I said, this is not the most ideal setup but it works for me (for now). I mostly do sporting events where I'm not really running and gunning. I usually pick a spot and I'm there for a spell before relocating. I'll raise the monopod to eye level for when I'm really using that camera and will lift the short lens to my eye as needed. If I'm using the short lens a lot then the long lens stays low to the ground where I can easily pick it up for the occasional tight shot.

"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Unitas Photoraphy (external link)Meetup (external link)Blog (external link)Facebook (external link)Flickr (external link)500px (external link)

sponsored links

321 views & 3 likes for this thread
Carrying 2 cameras
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.