Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 01 Dec 2017 (Friday) 22:06
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

GETTY QUESTION...

this thread is locked
Road ­ Dog
Joined Jul 2014
St. Augustine, Florida
Dec 01, 2017 22:06 |  #1

I'll preface this by saying I have nothing on Getty and I'm not really interested in doing so.

BUT, I have a question:

If someone has an image on Getty, and a qualified client (I understand they screen potential clients) wants to license the image, what's the average cost? I know there could be many variables (how it will be used, for how long, etc), but ballpark it for me. Also, is there any place on GettyImages.com where I can find that same information?

Thanks!

Just shut up and smile...
My Current Line-Up

sponsored links
Scott ­ Spellman
Joined Oct 2015
Royal Oak MI
Dec 02, 2017 11:15 |  #2

GettyImages.com has a license fee calculator for any photo when you sign up for a free account.

Road ­ Dog
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2014
St. Augustine, Florida
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Road Dog.
Dec 03, 2017 23:27 |  #3

Scott Spellman wrote in post #18508869 (external link)
GettyImages.com has a license fee calculator for any photo when you sign up for a free account.

I'm aware of that, but I have no intention of signing up.

A local business owner wants to use one of my photos on his local tourist-oriented website. He said he would pay me $40 because "that's what Getty gets."

I just have no idea if it's true, although that sounds a bit low to me...

My Current Line-Up

Scott ­ Spellman
Joined Oct 2015
Royal Oak MI
Dec 04, 2017 00:12 as a reply to Road Dog's post |  #4

In the time you spent typing this response you could have had an actual answer to your question, but instead you just want to wonder pointlessly.

Road ­ Dog
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2014
St. Augustine, Florida
Dec 04, 2017 07:14 |  #5

Scott Spellman wrote in post #18510053 (external link)
In the time you spent typing this response you could have had an actual answer to your question, but instead you just want to wonder pointlessly.

Or, you could just tell me you're not smart enough to answer the question; that would've been another way to go.

Fact is I tried finding the answer online before asking here. I couldn't, so I figured someone here would know the answer; maybe some smart guy like you.

Guess I was wrong.

Do you go out of your way to not be helpful?

My Current Line-Up

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Left Handed Brisket.
Dec 04, 2017 08:13 |  #6

rights managed: http://www.gettyimages​.com ...lculator/sb10069475​ab-001 (external link)

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,146 posts
Joined Mar 2012
By The Lake in Big D
Dec 04, 2017 09:03 |  #7

I shoot a local band and allow them to use my images for marketing, but when one of their venues started to use one to market their venue I asked for compensation. Before I even had a chance to quote what I thought was a reasonable usage fee for this close up generic type shot of fingers picking a guitar, the venue chose to replace my image with a similar shot from a subscription service. It was something like $30/mo to choose from as many images with unlimited use. That unfortunately was cheaper than my $50 for unlimited use of this one image pricing. Ouch. If it's generic or easy to duplicate, you won't get much.

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,491 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Dec 04, 2017 09:21 |  #8

Looks like $50 to $575 based on image size.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Dec 04, 2017 09:23 |  #9

texkam wrote in post #18510199 (external link)
I shoot a local band and allow them to use my images for marketing, but when one of their venues started to use one to market their venue I asked for compensation. Before I even had a chance to quote what I thought was a reasonable usage fee for this close up generic type shot of fingers picking a guitar, the venue chose to replace my image with a similar shot from a subscription service. It was something like $30/mo to choose from as many images with unlimited use. That unfortunately was cheaper than my $50 for unlimited use of this one image pricing. Ouch. If it's generic or easy to duplicate, you won't get much.

yup, royalty free is dirt cheap.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Scott ­ Spellman
Joined Oct 2015
Royal Oak MI
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Lester Wareham with reason 'Remove unneeded lazy comment'.
Dec 04, 2017 12:50 as a reply to Road Dog's post |  #10

I use GettyImages several times a year to help get detailed usage estimates for my own client because it is the best free industry standard calculator for licensing fees. I actually gave you the exact process for you to get your own answer.

RhodyPhotos
Joined Jun 2014
providence, ri
Dec 04, 2017 13:00 as a reply to Scott Spellman's post |  #11

Is there a way to get this info without having to sign up? Or would that be a prerequisite?

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by Left Handed Brisket. 2 edits done in total.
Dec 04, 2017 18:27 |  #12

his subsequent posts notwithstanding, this is actually the best answer.

Scott Spellman wrote in post #18508869 (external link)

there are entirely too many variables to consider to provide an "average" cost ... which is why no one else has provided an answer either.

hell, the problem of multiple variables was posted in the OP.

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Dec 04, 2017 23:47 |  #13

Road Dog wrote in post #18510147 (external link)
Or, you could just tell me you're not smart enough to answer the question; that would've been another way to go.

Fact is I tried finding the answer online before asking here. I couldn't, so I figured someone here would know the answer; maybe some smart guy like you.

But he did answer the question and his answer was the best one possible.

You want to know what Getty's price would be for a particular situation then the obvious/only place to find that information would be Getty. Image licensing depends on a large number of different details... not a single one of which you provided to us. How you think we are supposed to ball park anything is beyond me.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

J ­ Michael
Joined Feb 2010
Atlanta
Dec 08, 2017 06:02 |  #14

Not only that, the counter argument to the customer should be based on verifiable facts, which are easily provided by the calculator, esp. if the $40 number provided was pulled out of the air.

Dan Marchant wrote in post #18510872 (external link)
But he did answer the question and his answer was the best one possible.

You want to know what Getty's price would be for a particular situation then the obvious/only place to find that information would be Getty. Image licensing depends on a large number of different details... not a single one of which you provided to us. How you think we are supposed to ball park anything is beyond me.

Road ­ Dog
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2014
St. Augustine, Florida
Dec 11, 2017 07:12 |  #15

A low-resolution image (suited for the web); maybe a 1 meg file.

Image would remain on their website permanently and would not be used in any print media.

I really don't want to join Getty (and my understanding is that they approve/disapprove applications and I'm just some random guy). so I thought I would ask here...

My Current Line-Up

sponsored links

1,448 views & 18 likes for this thread
GETTY QUESTION...
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.