Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 02 Dec 2017 (Saturday) 00:27
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

What's the best bang for the buck entry level flash modifier for a speedlight?

soeren
20 posts
Joined Nov 2017
Dec 04, 2017 12:34 |  #16

MalVeauX wrote in post #18510318 (external link)
I will 2nd this one.

The problem with umbrellas is that if they're shoot through, a speedlite cannot fill a large umbrella, so reflective surface umbrellas can give you more bang for your light when limited to a speedlite. Having a reflective umbrella with silver just makes it even more efficient to make the most from the low power speedlite and spread it more evenly on a larger modifier where speedlites have trouble spreading out. Adding the diffuser panel makes it a softbox but it's still a fairly efficient softbox for its size relative to a speedlite's output. And taking the diffuser off, one can get different output too. Very versatile and it controls spill. For a one-modifier-approach, the brolly box for a speedlite is easily one of the better tools for a general approach,and at $30, it's crazy good for the money.

I have these in several sizes. They're great.

Very best,

And varying the distance between umbrella and speedlight makes it a lot of different sizes modifiers in one

sponsored links
BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
Joined Jul 2014
West Michigan, USA
Dec 04, 2017 12:34 |  #17

K Soze wrote in post #18510332 (external link)
Most bang for the buck? A white wall. White cardboard or foam core. I have 6 studio lights and quite a few different styles of modifiers, but I am amazed how well a single speed light and some white surfaces work when I need them.

yup!
i made some great bounce cards out of some white art board and velcro straps!

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

RicoTudor
502 posts
Joined Jul 2014
Chicago, IL
Dec 04, 2017 21:26 |  #18

K Soze wrote in post #18510332 (external link)
Most bang for the buck? A white wall. White cardboard or foam core. I have 6 studio lights and quite a few different styles of modifiers, but I am amazed how well a single speed light and some white surfaces work when I need them.

I'm in your camp: my studio has packs, strobes, support and reflectors aplenty. At home, I have to make do with common household items. :) Off-camera Speedlight sitting on a box, white cardbox from a frozen pizza taped to a floor lamp: doesn't get any cheaper than free!

IMAGE: http://makino.fi/rico/nikon/misc/jade35.jpg

Canon, Nikon, Contax, Leica, Sony, Profoto.

Aressem
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2009
Vancouver, BC
Dec 04, 2017 21:34 |  #19

LOL... you guys kill me. Thanks for the pizza cardboard and bounce suggestions buuuuuuuuuut I think I'll go with the 120cm octa for a whopping $29 ;)

To all who posted, thanks! Any other great suggestions, please, share away!

Ryan Mackay WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | GEAR LIST | Buy & Sell Feedback: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

ksbal
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
N.E. Kansas
Dec 05, 2017 11:30 |  #20

I think you will really like that octabox, I've used mine several times, and love how even the light is from it.

Be sure to pick up an S-type bracket for it... sooo much better than holding onto the flash foot.

S-Type Bracket (external link)

YN622 English User Guide/Manual by Clive
https://drive.google.c​om ...Ig0gMMzZFaDVlZ1VNTE​0/view (external link)

Aressem
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2009
Vancouver, BC
Dec 05, 2017 17:31 |  #21

ksbal wrote in post #18511199 (external link)
I think you will really like that octabox, I've used mine several times, and love how even the light is from it.

Be sure to pick up an S-type bracket for it... sooo much better than holding onto the flash foot.

S-Type Bracket (external link)

Will do! Thank you!

Ryan Mackay WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | GEAR LIST | Buy & Sell Feedback: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Post has been edited 10 days ago by MalVeauX.
Dec 05, 2017 17:43 |  #22

Here's a real world example of the $30 47" Brolly in use:

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1443/26393059140_a1f829f33b_c.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Gdgj​XN] (external link)20160426_190626 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

I used ND filters to drop ambient so that I could be in synch speed (on purpose to show you don't need fancy stuff to make it work). I find it's plenty soft.

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1545/26576164572_3989c0a6b0_c.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/GurM​Q1] (external link)IMG_3266 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1534/26573646922_fb8cfd41a4_c.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/GudT​qf] (external link)IMG_3241 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link) :: Canon 17-40L For Sale! $380!

Ah-keong
Joined Apr 2016
Dec 06, 2017 01:06 |  #23

Westscott Rapid Box Octa!

Canon 7D Mark II | BG-E16 | Canon EF-S 10-18mm | Sigma DC 18-35mm ART |
Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT |
Olympus E-PL3 | M.Zuiko ED 7-14mm PRO
Manfrotto BeFree Travel Tripod |
Tenba DNA 15 Messenger | Think Tank Photo Digital Holster 40v2.0 | Speed Changer v2.0

conraderb
44 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post has been edited 9 days ago by conraderb.
Dec 06, 2017 10:09 |  #24

Hahaha. How entry level and "best bang for the buck" are you talking about?

My first flash modifier for a speedlight - no joke - was a white post card with a rubber band. Cost = $0.10. Super portable and durable.

I have also had a friend wearing a white t shirt stand in front of the off camera flash, and have their T-shirt bounce light into the subject :-)

Osa713
Joined Jun 2011
Houston, TX
Post has been edited 4 days ago by Osa713.
Dec 11, 2017 22:20 |  #25

ksbal wrote in post #18510312 (external link)
It works well outside when you are in the shade. Or a cloudy day. This was with older speedlights, the godox/flashpoint Li-on speedlights recycle in 1 to 2 seconds.

2 speedlights, one bare camera left, one brolly camera right.

I have the same box it helped me produce this image. Westcott rapid box camera right and the brolley on the left, single speed light in each modifier.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Photo from Osa713's gallery.

LIGHT>LENS>BODY

sponsored links

1,541 views & 28 likes for this thread
What's the best bang for the buck entry level flash modifier for a speedlight?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.