Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands
Thread started 02 Dec 2017 (Saturday) 13:28
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Fuji lust to Canon Mirrorless?

I ­ Simonius
Weather Sealed Photographer
Joined Feb 2005
On a Small Blue Planet with Small Blue People With Small Blue Eyes
Post has been last edited 10 days ago by I Simonius. 3 edits done in total.
Dec 02, 2017 13:28 |  #1

'Ere 'allo!

I've have been lusting after a latest Fuji since dip[ping my toes in the Fuji waters with an M1 a while back, but I was waiting in the meantime for the AF to catch up.

I was still going to get Fuji until a day ago, even though TBH I was not that impressed with the OVF.

But then yesterday, when I found whilst idly reviewing fuji files that I'was not as convinced as I once was of the Fuji wonderfulness. I found myself comparing Fuji and canon jpgs side by side, and then RAW files and saw quite clearly that for my purposes Canon was far and away preferred. Hells' bells! I thought to my self I nearly bought another Fuji when really what I want is a small Canon

So I have researched and come to the con elusion that actually I will, in all likelihood, be going the way of a Canon M6.

OK not as small as Fuji but same size sensor, Canon AF, :love: and everything else I am familiar with

anyone disagree with my choice?

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. - Albert Einstein" - yes, but why?
My Snaps external link My Gear ----external link

sponsored links
bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,526 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA
Post has been edited 10 days ago by bobbyz.
Dec 02, 2017 13:39 |  #2

What did you see wrong with the Fuji files?

IMAGE: http://www.bobbyzphotography.com/img/s/v-2/p1470045739-5.jpg
IMAGE: http://www.bobbyzphotography.com/img/s/v-2/p1470045818-5.jpg

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

I ­ Simonius
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2005
Post has been edited 10 days ago by I Simonius.
Dec 02, 2017 14:35 as a reply to bobbyz's post |  #3

I thought the greens looked a bit odd and when sharpening some parts Got a. bit 'crunchy'

Jpg colours set to velvia looked very saturated but seemed to lose detail

I like the second image of the two you posted above and Im guessing it was with a fuji? is that right?

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. - Albert Einstein" - yes, but why?

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,526 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA
Dec 02, 2017 14:36 |  #4

Yup, XT1, 56mm f1.2.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Dec 02, 2017 18:35 |  #5

Go with what you like the look of, size of, feel of, etc.

I have Canon & Fuji, and frankly, I think Fuji's colors are better.

But again, you've convinced yourself of what you need, and that's all that matters.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link) :: Canon 17-40L For Sale! $380! | Canon 5D Classic Bundle for Sale! $250!

TreeburnerCT
Joined Dec 2016
Stratford, CT, USA
Dec 02, 2017 18:54 |  #6

I have a Canon M6 that I use as a backup to my 80D and it's a fine camera, I use the LCD screen only as if I want a viewfinder I'll just use the 80D. The RAW files are just as nice as the 80D since they use the same sensor, and the AF is vastly improved over the M3, especially with adapted lenses. Can't compare it to a Fuji as I've never shot one but I certainly have no regrets ditching my 7D2 in favor of the smaller M6.

-Joe

RapidPhotoCT.com (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Facebook (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Instagram (external link)

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Dec 04, 2017 21:20 |  #7

Where are different Fuji sensors by now... I liked straight Fuji JPEG1 files for colors. But I liked Ricoh GR II files even more and size of it as well. :).
It is also the lens which is before the sensor and it has great impact on image quality. This is why my real compact is Lumix with Leica lens on it...

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Columbia
33 posts
Joined Nov 2017
International Space Station
Dec 06, 2017 00:44 |  #8

How much of this is gear lust and how much is actual necessity?

Find the system, not body, that is the closest match to your needs and then go work on furthering your photography.

You can compare files all day long, but at the end of the day is the file of one camera vs another actually going to make or break an image? Probably not...

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2012
Houston, TX
Post has been edited 6 days ago by mystik610.
Dec 06, 2017 07:35 |  #9

The Canon mirrorless bodies are OK compared to the competition, but native lens selection is where they are really lacking IMO. Mostly slow variable aperture zooms, which can be creatively limiting depending on what you shoot.

The fuji 56 f1.2 is a special lens. My second shooter uses one and the files coming from that set-up are great.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART - Sony 70-200GM

Diamonddec
76 posts
Joined Jan 2012
Dec 07, 2017 06:01 |  #10

bobbyz wrote in post #18508995 (external link)
Yup, XT1, 56mm f1.2.

Assuming the Fuji 56mm f1.2 was shot at that aperture, there's a big difference in the background bokeh.

My Snaps external link

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,526 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA
Dec 08, 2017 22:49 |  #11

Diamonddec wrote in post #18512485 (external link)
Assuming the Fuji 56mm f1.2 was shot at that aperture, there's a big difference in the background bokeh.

But it is also quite hard to nail focus at f1.2 on 85L. No such issue with Fuji.:) I end up using f2 on my 85L.

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Post has been last edited 3 days ago by AlanU. 2 edits done in total.
Dec 09, 2017 10:41 |  #12

What I found was when I incorporate a Canon 80d with my canon full frames I suddenly get absolutely fantastic images using my 85L at F1.2 with my crop canon sensor. 1.6 crop factor changes things too. My 35 f2is Suddenly becomes a portrait lens on my Canon crop sensor.

I prefer my Canon 80d over the ergonomics of the Canon mirrorless........the Fuji I have is meant for Fuji flavour images in a smaller form factor body.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

I ­ Simonius
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2005
Dec 09, 2017 10:44 |  #13

MalVeauX wrote in post #18509127 (external link)
But again, you've convinced yourself of what you need, and that's all that matters.

well my post was quite lighthearted and I haven't really made my mind up. Or, rather I might have if canon had the lenses to go with the M series. Im not convinced by the IQ of those lenses and to fit the E lenses you need an adapter with kinda defeats the purpose of having a small camera

Columbia wrote in post #18511670 (external link)
How much of this is gear lust and how much is actual necessity?

Find the system, not body, that is the closest match to your needs and then go work on furthering your photography.

You can compare files all day long, but at the end of the day is the file of one camera vs another actually going to make or break an image? Probably not...

necessity? It's a hobby not a job, necessity has nowt to do with it

Is one system going to make ofr break an image, good question, is that the reason people change systems or chose one over another in this day and age? I doubt it.

I never use canon jpgs, except to visualise on the LCD (I have it set to low contrast, high sharpening, mono wit sepia filter ) I always shoot RAW. However it would be nice, it would be convenient, to be able to use the OOC jpgs. The claims for Fuji are high in this regard but I have not yet found them to be up to te mark, still I only have an old M1.

mystik610 wrote in post #18511763 (external link)
The Canon mirrorless bodies are OK compared to the competition, but native lens selection is where they are really lacking IMO. .

thats what stopping me getting one. even the 35mmf2 IS would do me but not with a convertor attached, might as well get a zoom for that size. ( which I won't cos I don't think the IQ is there either )

bobbyz wrote in post #18513808 (external link)
But it is also quite hard to nail focus at f1.2 on 85L. No such issue with Fuji.:) I end up using f2 on my 85L.

ain't that them truth! I LOVE the 85mk2 at f1.2 when you do nail the focus because the bokeh is exquisite , I don't know of any other lens that can render like it, BUT and it s very big but, it focusses so slow and misses so often it really is a trail to use. I used to cover myself wit other lenses (135, 70-200mk2) too when I used to do portraits, weddings etc)

Now I don't do those Im happy with an f4 lens TBH, though most are faster than that

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2012
Houston, TX
Dec 09, 2017 10:46 |  #14

I Simonius wrote in post #18514050 (external link)
thats what stopping me getting one. even the 35mmf2 IS would do me but not with a convertor attached, might as well get a zoom for that size. ( which I won't cos I don't think the IQ is there either )

Canon has no dedication to mirrorless. Their main concern is protecting other product lines and avoiding any cannibalization. I mean they do this across all of their product lines, but very blatant with how crippled their mirrorless offerings (bodies and lenses) are when they are more than capable of putting a good system together.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART - Sony 70-200GM

I ­ Simonius
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2005
Post has been edited 3 days ago by I Simonius.
Dec 09, 2017 10:48 |  #15

AlanU wrote in post #18514048 (external link)
What I found was when I incorporate a Canon 80d with my canon full frames I suddenly get absolutely fantastic images using my 85L at F1.2 with my crop canon sensor. 1.6 crop factor changes things too. My 35 f2is Suddenly becomes a portrait lens on my Canon crop sensor.

I prefer my Canon 80d over the ergonomics of the Canon mirrorless........the Fuji I have is meant for Fuji flavour images in a smaller form factor body.

I know what you mean. However I am not drawn to having another DSLR as my 5DsR has all the dlsr bases covered AFAIC, but I would like a much smaller , more discreet camera which also had fantastic IQ. I do like the Canon M system except for the lenses. Real shame about that. I cjhecked out te pancake lenses but Im fussy about my prime focal lengths, it's a habit to visualise with certain FLs so I want a 28, 35 or 50 equivalent exactly. 50 is my preferred casual lens

sponsored links

859 views & 9 likes for this thread
Fuji lust to Canon Mirrorless?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.