Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands
Thread started 02 Dec 2017 (Saturday) 13:28
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Fuji lust to Canon Mirrorless?

Owain ­ Shaw
Some of my best friends are people.
Joined Aug 2006
Valencia, Spain.
Dec 21, 2017 13:30 |  #136

I Simonius wrote in post #18523425 (external link)
my problem is I still think in Film

:eek::rolleyes::mrgreen:

As I said on page three or something of the thread, if it helps, think of different sensors as different film stocks. You wouldn't process two different films the same way. Sensors and digital post-processing is the same.

| Photographic for the People - New website coming soon. |
| Gear | Flickr (external link) |

sponsored links
I ­ Simonius
THREAD ­ STARTER
Weather Sealed Photographer
Joined Feb 2005
On a Small Blue Planet with Small Blue People With Small Blue Eyes
Dec 21, 2017 13:52 |  #137

Owain Shaw wrote in post #18523432 (external link)
As I said on page three or something of the thread, if it helps, think of different sensors as different film stocks. You wouldn't process two different films the same way. Sensors and digital post-processing is the same.

By George I think he's got it!

:)

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. - Albert Einstein" - yes, but why?
My Snaps external link My Gear ----external link

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2014
Ireland
Dec 21, 2017 16:47 |  #138

I Simonius wrote in post #18523425 (external link)
my problem is I still think in Film

:eek::rolleyes::mrgreen:

Your computer must smell of vinegar by now.

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T1, X-E2 | 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 10-24/4. AD600BM, TT865F, AL-H198, ThinkTank AS2, Peli1514, Ona Bowery, Matthews Grip
flickr (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)

Osa713
Joined Jun 2011
Houston, TX
Dec 21, 2017 17:50 |  #139

Owain Shaw wrote in post #18523432 (external link)

bw!

LIGHT>LENS>BODY

Owain ­ Shaw
Joined Aug 2006
Valencia, Spain.
Post has been last edited 29 days ago by Owain Shaw. 2 edits done in total.
Dec 22, 2017 04:24 |  #140

I Simonius wrote in post #18523456 (external link)
By George I think he's got it!

:)

Yay! Do I win a prize?

Osa713 wrote in post #18523638 (external link)
bw!

Yay! I do win a prize.

Elaborating further on the comparison. The reason why sometimes we struggle to adjust to different digital cameras and how their images look in or after post-processing is the same reason that drove film photographers to buy up batches of their favourite film stock when it was going out of production - or previously before large projects when they wanted to achieve a consistent look. They liked how it shot, how it looked, how it rendered. They were comfortable with it and its processes and didn't want to change. Shoot for a long time with one particular type of digital sensor and the same thing will happen. Some people like to keep all their lenses within the same family for that same reason - consistency in lens materials and coatings to keep their colours and contrast the way they like them. Introduce a Sigma Art lens into an L shooter's bag and it's not that the lens is any better or worse but it might well be different to what they are used to and the results may not satisfy them. These are objective differences, they do exist, but they are subjective preferences. I think that is the other root cause of the discussion we've been having in this thread.

I'm going to stop now. I'm worried about ruining my book worthiness. #notworthy

Happy Holidays to one and all. May we all shoot happily.

I ­ Simonius
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2005
Dec 23, 2017 14:41 |  #141

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #18523603 (external link)
Your computer must smell of vinegar by now.

Do you mean I eat chips off it??

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. - Albert Einstein" - yes, but why?

I ­ Simonius
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2005
Dec 23, 2017 14:43 |  #142

Owain Shaw wrote in post #18523879 (external link)
Yay! Do I win a prize?

Yay! I do win a prize.

Elaborating further on the comparison. The reason why sometimes we struggle to adjust to different digital cameras and how their images look in or after post-processing is the same reason that drove film photographers to buy up batches of their favourite film stock when it was going out of production - or previously before large projects when they wanted to achieve a consistent look. They liked how it shot, how it looked, how it rendered. They were comfortable with it and its processes and didn't want to change. Shoot for a long time with one particular type of digital sensor and the same thing will happen. Some people like to keep all their lenses within the same family for that same reason - consistency in lens materials and coatings to keep their colours and contrast the way they like them. Introduce a Sigma Art lens into an L shooter's bag and it's not that the lens is any better or worse but it might well be different to what they are used to and the results may not satisfy them. These are objective differences, they do exist, but they are subjective preferences. I think that is the other root cause of the discussion we've been having in this thread.

I'm going to stop now. I'm worried about ruining my book worthiness. #notworthy

Happy Holidays to one and all. May we all shoot happily.

True. I bought a lot of Kodachrome 25 and agfapan 25 at one point ...but they ran out of course

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2014
Ireland
Dec 23, 2017 18:12 as a reply to I Simonius's post |  #143

Nope, that familiar smell of fixer in the darkroom, a bit like vinegar.

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T1, X-E2 | 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 10-24/4. AD600BM, TT865F, AL-H198, ThinkTank AS2, Peli1514, Ona Bowery, Matthews Grip

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Dec 23, 2017 20:46 |  #144

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #18524985 (external link)

When I was a young kid I played with b/w darkroom processing. As a kid I did some dodge/burn and simple fun artsy stuff.

I remember that chemical vinegar smell vividly :)

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

I ­ Simonius
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2005
Dec 24, 2017 06:03 |  #145

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #18524985 (external link)

aha! I remember the fixer smell as if it was still up my nose today , but I had never thought of it as vinegar, it's certainly not something I'd want on my chips!!

LOL

Owain ­ Shaw
Joined Aug 2006
Valencia, Spain.
Dec 26, 2017 05:35 |  #146

I didn't inhale.

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2014
Ireland
Dec 26, 2017 07:28 |  #147

I Simonius wrote in post #18525240 (external link)
aha! I remember the fixer smell as if it was still up my nose today , but I had never thought of it as vinegar, it's certainly not something I'd want on my chips!!

LOL

Yes you are right, stop bath was the vinegar smell & fixer was the unforgettable linger, perhaps my mind blocked that out for a while but it's back now. Deep breaths.

sponsored links

4,496 views & 90 likes for this thread
Fuji lust to Canon Mirrorless?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.