Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports
Thread started 04 Dec 2017 (Monday) 07:41
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Girls Volleyball Team - First time using strobes - thoughts?

DrMitch
Joined Dec 2008
Toronto
Dec 04, 2017 07:41 |  #1

I was "volunteered" to take some team shots of my daughters vball team this past weekend.
Overall, I'm pleased with the results (especially given the time constraints) - but always looking for critique / advice.

I only had about 15minutes before practice, so I wasn't able to spend much time setting up and testing lighting etc. So some shots were a little rushed.
Used a Speedlight flash and a 300W strobe for the team shot and just the speedlight for the other shot on the ground (I didn't realize at the time, but someone unplugged my strobe!).

It was fairly well light gym, and this was the second time I've used strobes (the first was last week in the gym doing a couple of test shots)...

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4571/38113457894_e99cf78b24.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/214X​rbo] (external link)102A6629.jpg (external link) by dr mitch (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4586/38799199592_cc3b244ebf.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/227y​3i7] (external link)102A6641.jpg (external link) by dr mitch (external link), on Flickr

I have a photographic memory, just wish I'd remember to take the lens cap off more often! :oops:
7DII - Canon 70-200 2.8 II - Sigma 10-20 - Sigma 17-50/2.8OS - F-Stop Lotus Backpack - ThinkTank Speed Racer V2 - Tamrac Velocity 8x - Peak Design Slide & Capture Pro
Flickr Collection (external link)

rjharris
Joined Mar 2010
Near Dallas
Post has been edited 4 days ago by rjharris.
Dec 07, 2017 06:19 |  #2

somebody probably unplugged your strobe so they could plug their phone charger in:-)

I teach at a high school and charging your cell phone is the all important factor for school aged children.

The first shot #8 could have been moved camera left as well as the 2 girls kneeling to center things in the frame better. The team picture seems a tad dark on my calibrated monitor as well. The hardest thing I find when shooting teams is light vs dark skinned people as dark skinned people don't reflect the light as well. I usually end up in light room with a 20-30% increased exposure brush on them to brighten them up some. I've tried exposing for the dark skin but it seems that light colored skin then gets too murky or pasty.

I really like the second one though. Here's one that I did recently. The dark skinned girls had 20 - 30% exposure brush in lightroom and #34 might have even gotten a bit more.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

DrMitch
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2008
Toronto
Post has been edited 4 days ago by DrMitch.
Dec 07, 2017 09:15 as a reply to rjharris's post |  #3

Thanks for the input! I agree with the positioning - with more experience I hope I'll pick up on spacing more instinctively. I played around with the LR exposure brush which I'm really loving - used it a bit to take down some o the seen from the numbers on the jerseys as well as to lighten and darken some of the players. I was trying to go for a kind of dark moody shot. I would have liked to have less shadow on the floor behind the players.

For your BBall team shot - did you have to lighten up the shadows at all on the back row players?
How many stores did you use and rough position?

Thanks again!

Mitch

I have a photographic memory, just wish I'd remember to take the lens cap off more often! :oops:
7DII - Canon 70-200 2.8 II - Sigma 10-20 - Sigma 17-50/2.8OS - F-Stop Lotus Backpack - ThinkTank Speed Racer V2 - Tamrac Velocity 8x - Peak Design Slide & Capture Pro
Flickr Collection (external link)

rjharris
Joined Mar 2010
Near Dallas
Dec 07, 2017 20:44 as a reply to DrMitch's post |  #4

I used two cheetah light 360's in 48 x 32 inch soft boxes with grids for some directionality and no, I didn't soften the shadows any. I just used my adjustment brush on the darker skinned faces to kind of even things out.

248 views & 0 likes for this thread
Girls Volleyball Team - First time using strobes - thoughts?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.