Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 04 Dec 2017 (Monday) 23:22
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Recommendation for cheapest UWA EF Lens?

takadakeyo
71 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Post has been edited 1 month ago by takadakeyo.
Dec 04, 2017 23:22 |  #1

Greetings,
Im going on a trip for a month and would like to pick up a cheap Wide angle lens for my 5D3. Im looking for something around 10mm+
Im not up to date with all the other brands of lenses but I was looking at the Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 that was about $400. But was wondering if there were any others thats cheaper.

[edit]
Nevermind I think the tokina is for crop...

sponsored links
BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Dec 05, 2017 04:23 |  #2

Nothing that wide is available for the 35mm format. Canon start at 11mm with the 11-24, but that isn't cheap. Sigma have a zoom starting at 12mm and I think one of the other third party companies do too.

The APS-C lenses start at 10mm so that they match the field of view of the 16-xx range zooms usual in the 35mm format. From what I have seen your options in Canon are the 16-35 or the venerable 17-40, both at f/4. Once you start looking at this range of zooms you have far more options from the other manufacturers.

Personally I Got my start in photography back in the 70"s and back then 28mm was considered pretty wide. The current crop of ultra wide zooms are just amazing to me.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

msowsun
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2007
Oakville Ont. Canada
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by msowsun. 4 edits done in total.
Dec 05, 2017 10:27 |  #3

Forget about 10mm on Full frame. Especially if you want cheap. The Tokina 11-16mm is designed for a crop cameras, and while it will fit on a full frame, it is only usable at about 15-16mm.

Your cheapest bet for a UWA FF lens is a used Samyang or Rokinon 14mm 2.8

You should be able to buy one locally or on ebay for just under $300: https://www.ebay.com ...e+-sigma+-usm&_sacat=3323 (external link)

Mike Sowsun / S110 / SL1 / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 18-135mm STM / EF-S 55-250mm STM
5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS /
EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by MalVeauX. 5 edits done in total.
Dec 05, 2017 11:30 |  #4

Heya,

Obteka 15mm F4, $150 new. This can't be beat for price, bests the Rokinon 14 F2.8 (which cannot take standard filters). It is EF mount and is for full frame.

https://www.amazon.com ...ords=opteka+15mm+f4​+canon (external link)

Takes standard filters! Sharp as all get out wide open. Beautiful sharp star spikes.

It's a clone of the Venus/LaoWa 15mm F4 macro T&S lens, minus the T&S.

Samples:

http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​452984
https://www.flickr.com​/groups/2784583@N25/po​ol/ (external link)

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

jcothron
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2008
Gainesville, GA
Dec 05, 2017 11:57 |  #5

takadakeyo wrote in post #18510861 (external link)
Greetings,
Im going on a trip for a month and would like to pick up a cheap Wide angle lens for my 5D3. Im looking for something around 10mm+
Im not up to date with all the other brands of lenses but I was looking at the Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 that was about $400. But was wondering if there were any others thats cheaper.

[edit]
Nevermind I think the tokina is for crop...

I think for ultra-wife and cheap you may need to look at rokinon. Not familiar with the specific models but based on what I read they perform pretty well. I think sigma has a 12-24 zoom or something like that as well.

John
Gear List|My Flickr (external link)|Website (external link)|500px (external link)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,982 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Dec 05, 2017 12:32 |  #6

Rokinon 12mm f/2.8 FE.

Tom

conraderb
44 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Dec 06, 2017 10:30 |  #7

IMHO, cheap and quality for a UWA is a tough specification. UWA are hard to design because the physics/optics are difficult to do well. Sigma is coming up with higher quality stuff than they did five years ago, but if you have a body that retailed for $3000 when new, why not invest in glass to match? At least the lens will hold its value longer than the body.

Just my 0.02.

nautox
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Sep 2016
Dec 16, 2017 14:01 |  #8

I have the Sigma AF 15-30mm F3.5-4.5 EX DG Aspherical DF
I've used it on my 1DS II and 5DIII and I'm sure it would be fine on my 5D IV.
It's over 10 years old I'm sure, though I've only had it for around 3. Got it used from fleabay for under $300.

Not sure if it's wide enough for your usage but here's the rundown:
- Pretty big size wise, heavy too
- Slow AF
- Only "good" at F8
- Can't use filters
- Has funky lens clear lens cap that's a 2 hand job to remove like a pickle jar lid.
- Does take decent pictures (at F8)

chuckmiller
400 posts
Joined May 2012
Tampa, Florida
Dec 26, 2017 15:24 |  #9

nautox wrote in post #18519382 (external link)
I have the Sigma AF 15-30mm F3.5-4.5 EX DG Aspherical DF
I've used it on my 1DS II and 5DIII and I'm sure it would be fine on my 5D IV.
It's over 10 years old I'm sure, though I've only had it for around 3. Got it used from fleabay for under $300.

Not sure if it's wide enough for your usage but here's the rundown:
- Pretty big size wise, heavy too
- Slow AF
- Only "good" at F8
- Can't use filters
- Has funky lens clear lens cap that's a 2 hand job to remove like a pickle jar lid.
- Does take decent pictures (at F8)

That is an honest review right there. Do you wish you had spent that 300 on something else?

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,982 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Post has been edited 26 days ago by Bassat.
Dec 26, 2017 18:19 |  #10

conraderb wrote in post #18511911 (external link)
IMHO, cheap and quality for a UWA is a tough specification. UWA are hard to design because the physics/optics are difficult to do well. Sigma is coming up with higher quality stuff than they did five years ago, but if you have a body that retailed for $3000 when new, why not invest in glass to match? At least the lens will hold its value longer than the body.

Just my 0.02.

Read TDP's review of the Sigma 12-24 f/4 Art. $1600. Not overly good at f/4; much better at f/5.6. Sigma's older 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 II is excellent at f/5.6, better at f/8. The II sells used for about $425. Way better deal if you ask me. Sigma is certainly making huge strides with their Art series. The 12-24 is not one of them.

Tom

nautox
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Sep 2016
Jan 02, 2018 23:52 as a reply to chuckmiller's post |  #11

I would either get the Canon 17-40mm L (quite a bit more than $300) or the Sigma 12-24mm II.
17mm isnt' all that wide for most people but I have to admit that I don't shoot very wide that often. Usually I'm muttering "I need moar zoom!"
So I would suggest to the OP and agree with Bassat about the older Sigma 12-24mm II. I thought 15mm on a full frame was wide but 12mm sounds pretty awesome.

sponsored links

2,659 views & 2 likes for this thread
Recommendation for cheapest UWA EF Lens?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.