Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 05 Dec 2017 (Tuesday) 10:45
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Flash Recommendation

chugger93
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2009
Washington MI
Dec 05, 2017 10:45 |  #1

Hey all,

My sis-in-law wants a flash recommendation. I could probably recommend a 430 or 530EX flash, but they are pricey and I just think its overkill for her. She has a t4i I think it is and just wants to experiment with something other than the built in flash on her camera. I personally still have my 430EXII and a Yongnuo flash, and could probably recommend Yongnuo to her, but I know theres is godox and flashpoint, so many options. Budget is probably under $200. I would think TTL is a must.

What are some good options here? I doubt she will get into triggers, but I guess if its got built in 2.4 or the capability to use a trigger then thats a plus.

Thanks all.

Jon | JMBPhotography
-------------
5D MK II / 5D MK III --- 24L II | 50L | 135L | Canon 85 F/1.8 | 430 EX II/Yongnou 560 Speedlites | Manfrotto 055XPROB Pro Tripod

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Post has been last edited 7 days ago by MalVeauX. 3 edits done in total.
Dec 05, 2017 10:59 |  #2

I'd do Flashpoint R2 TTL Zoom Li-On. It's well within your budget, awesome battery (lithium instead of fooling with lots of AA's), does ETTL & HSS flawlessly, really nice flash, well made, easy to use, and it's R2 communication system so it will work easily with any mixing and matching of R2 lights in the future if she expands and really gets into lighting. It has a built in R2 receiver. Later if a trigger is needed to go off camera, pick up the R2 Xpro controller. Off camera is really great, she will eventually go that way.

They go on sale now and then for about $135 for the lithium version (so wait for a sale):

https://www.adorama.co​m/fplfsmzl2ca.html (external link)
https://www.adorama.co​m ...canon&searchredirec​t=true (external link)

You can of course go with the standard AA approach too, but I can't stress enough how happy I am to have the lithium battery and not fool with AA's anymore. Then again I use it a lot and I have lots of flashes, so I despise needing to tote 16+ AA's sometimes.

My own anecdotal reasons: I have Canon & Yongnuo and now Flashpoint (Godox) flashes. Lots of them. At this point if I were re-buying everything, I'd fill up on the Flashpoint R2 stuff in Li-On. It's just so convenieint, seemingly endless battery life, fast recycle, the flashes feel great and pretty well made and they're so affordable and have the lovely R2 comm system. Once I got a taste of the Li-On stuff, I couldn't help myself. Huge fan of those batteries. TTL & HSS eats up power fast, so having a great battery and not even feeling the need to have one in my pocket extra has been simply great.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link) :: Canon 17-40L For Sale! $380! | Canon 5D Classic Bundle for Sale! $250!

ksbal
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
N.E. Kansas
Dec 05, 2017 11:23 |  #3

I agree with MalVeaux, but here is the bare bones get it started:

Flashpoint zoom with trigger (external link)

This is the best of both worlds. On camera TTL flash to play with, with Trigger to start with remote off camera flash.

don't want to go that way, trigger will sell fast with minimal loss.

If she learns she likes OCF, then she can buy more, add more, and a whole list of remote options are at her fingertips.

YN622 English User Guide/Manual by Clive
https://drive.google.c​om ...Ig0gMMzZFaDVlZ1VNTE​0/view (external link)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,752 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Dec 05, 2017 12:42 |  #4

I do a lot of INTERIOR flash work. If she wants cheap, the best bargains in lighting right now are older Canon EX units. I just picked up 3 copies of the 550EX from E-Bay for <$50 each, including shipping. They are cheap because they are old. For this price, I really don't care if I have to go online next week and buy another one (though I've never had a Canon flash fail).

I tried two different YN flash units (568EX and YN-14EX ring flash). Both failed in less than 24 hours. I've tried to make YN-622 gear work with both EX2, and EX flashes. I got unpredictable results. The problem is my mix of flashes, not the 622 gear.

In any event, I am back to Canon's visible light triggering system. It has never failed me, hence the move back to all Canon. Caveat: I don't use it outdoors. That is huge. The system quickly becomes less reliable with increasing distance and/or in bright light.

Tom

chugger93
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2009
Washington MI
Dec 05, 2017 13:26 |  #5

Awesome. Thank you..I will have a look!

Jon | JMBPhotography
-------------
5D MK II / 5D MK III --- 24L II | 50L | 135L | Canon 85 F/1.8 | 430 EX II/Yongnou 560 Speedlites | Manfrotto 055XPROB Pro Tripod

Osa713
Joined Jun 2011
Houston, TX
Dec 07, 2017 22:59 |  #6

MalVeauX wrote in post #18511157 (external link)
I'd do Flashpoint R2 TTL Zoom Li-On. It's well within your budget, awesome battery (lithium instead of fooling with lots of AA's), does ETTL & HSS flawlessly, really nice flash, well made, easy to use, and it's R2 communication system so it will work easily with any mixing and matching of R2 lights in the future if she expands and really gets into lighting. It has a built in R2 receiver. Later if a trigger is needed to go off camera, pick up the R2 Xpro controller. Off camera is really great, she will eventually go that way.

They go on sale now and then for about $135 for the lithium version (so wait for a sale):

https://www.adorama.co​m/fplfsmzl2ca.html (external link)
https://www.adorama.co​m ...canon&searchredirec​t=true (external link)

You can of course go with the standard AA approach too, but I can't stress enough how happy I am to have the lithium battery and not fool with AA's anymore. Then again I use it a lot and I have lots of flashes, so I despise needing to tote 16+ AA's sometimes.

My own anecdotal reasons: I have Canon & Yongnuo and now Flashpoint (Godox) flashes. Lots of them. At this point if I were re-buying everything, I'd fill up on the Flashpoint R2 stuff in Li-On. It's just so convenieint, seemingly endless battery life, fast recycle, the flashes feel great and pretty well made and they're so affordable and have the lovely R2 comm system. Once I got a taste of the Li-On stuff, I couldn't help myself. Huge fan of those batteries. TTL & HSS eats up power fast, so having a great battery and not even feeling the need to have one in my pocket extra has been simply great.

Very best,

Another vote for the the R2 system.

soeren
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Nov 2017
Dec 08, 2017 05:16 |  #7

Osa713 wrote in post #18513081 (external link)
Another vote for the the R2 system.

And a third.

chugger93
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2009
Washington MI
Dec 08, 2017 09:17 |  #8

Definitely gonna go with this recommendation either way. Thanks all

Jon | JMBPhotography
-------------

sponsored links

453 views & 5 likes for this thread
Flash Recommendation
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.