Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk
Thread started 05 Dec 2017 (Tuesday) 18:30
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

First trip to Tetons and Yellowstone, Sunrise Location

EOlsenPhoto
403 posts
Joined Aug 2008
Michigan
Dec 05, 2017 18:30 |  #1

Hey everyone.

I was hoping that I could lean on the group for a bit of scouting knowledge. I Have two sunrises and hopefully two sunsets to spend in the Teton and yellowstone area.

I will be driving north from Denver in the next couple days (early December) and due to the research I have found here and elsewhere I am THINKING I should try to catch my first sunrise (will be driving through the night) somewhere near Schwabacher Landing. I then have the day to scout and likely shoot a bit during the day, likely hike or ski some trails and see what I can find. I would love to get into the Grand Prismatic spring area but I don't know if I can get there with any great light. I then would like to snag a sunset in the Teton area before driving up into Yellowstone and the Lamar Valley area.

I am wondering if I am going to want to do a sunrise somewhere near Grand Prismatic on day two? Would I want to be in the Lamar Valley looking for wildlife in the early morning or will evening light work? I am super able body and very well equipped for any weather.

For the veterans that know the area, How would you utilize your two sunrises and sunsets? After sunset on day two I need to make my way to Bozeman.

I feel like I am looking for a classic mix of mountain ranges, landscapes and wildlife.

Please feel free to share any images here for inspiration. I am ecstatic to see this area and truly wish I had more time!. Thank you in advance!
Erik

Erik
ErikOlsenPhoto.com

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,501 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been last edited 6 days ago by John from PA. 2 edits done in total.
Dec 06, 2017 13:07 |  #2

Go to the thread at http://photography-on-the.net ...showthread.php?p=18​370459 and specifically see my replies (#4 & #5). As far as sunset shots, I always like shooting from the back side of Dornan's but, my experience is limited to late Spring to late Fall, not the dead of winter. But Dornan's has a bar with a wonderful view so it might work.

By the way, sunrise is about 7:45 AM and sunset about 4:45 PM. A morning shoot from Schwabacher Landing means you need to get there about 6:45 to 7:00 AM. Use the 2nd parking lot and plan on about a 1/4 mile walk to the best vista point.

The Elk (about 5000) congregate just north of Jackson so that can be a nice shot. See https://www.jacksonhol​e.com/national-elk-refuge.html (external link) for the details and the daily snowfall (today = 4 inches).

Lots of luck, be prepared for weather extremes.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Dec 06, 2017 14:12 |  #3

EOlsenPhoto wrote in post #18511507 (external link)
I am THINKING I should try to catch my first sunrise (will be driving through the night) somewhere near Schwabacher Landing. I then have the day to scout and likely shoot a bit during the day, likely hike or ski some trails and see what I can find. I would love to get into the Grand Prismatic spring area but I don't know if I can get there with any great light. I then would like to snag a sunset in the Teton area before driving up into Yellowstone and the Lamar Valley area.

I am wondering if I am going to want to do a sunrise somewhere near Grand Prismatic on day two? Would I want to be in the Lamar Valley looking for wildlife in the early morning or will evening light work?

For the veterans that know the area, How would you utilize your two sunrises and sunsets? After sunset on day two I need to make my way to Bozeman.

Please realize that almost all of Yellowstone's roads are closed to cars during this time of year. There is no way to get to Grand Prismatic by car. And there is no way to get directly from Grand Teton Park to Yellowstone Park by car. You would have to drive hundreds of miles around the west side of the parks and enter Yellowstone from the north entrance at Gardiner.

You really should consult a source that shows all of the winter closures on it:
https://www.nps.gov ...nyourvisit/conditio​ns.htm (external link)

Of course, you could always schedule a guided snowcoach tour, but those are horrifically expensive, and you don't get to spend the day doing things the way you want to do them, you have to go where they take you and stop where the coach stops.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,501 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Dec 06, 2017 15:09 |  #4

Some live cams at https://www.seejh.com/​webcams (external link) but be advised they often are deceiving.

106 views & 1 like for this thread
First trip to Tetons and Yellowstone, Sunrise Location
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.