Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner
Thread started 06 Dec 2017 (Wednesday) 10:01
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

First impression?

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2007
Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.
Dec 06, 2017 10:01 |  #1

Be brutal.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​texternal link
Editing ok

sponsored links
the4g63
Hatchling
Joined Oct 2008
Philly
Dec 06, 2017 11:25 |  #2

This is a pretty dramatic photo. I really like it. My first impression was, “Man, I wouldn’t want to be out there in that storm.”

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Dec 07, 2017 06:31 |  #3

The lightning appears to have been added. The area around it has an unnatural light quality unlike real lightning.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com ...282@N06/with/382034​70844/ (external link)

Ramon-uk
Joined Mar 2006
Dec 07, 2017 09:19 |  #4

Hmm, looks fake to me.
I would certainly get rid of that bright red bouy.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Post has been edited 6 days ago by Tom Reichner.
Dec 07, 2017 09:55 |  #5

My first impression is that this is two (or more) images composited together.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

bob_r
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2006
Cordova, TN
Dec 07, 2017 13:31 |  #6

The lightning and sky look unrealistic. The sky is too uniform and looks like it should be the "blue hour", but the boat sails are still reflecting a lot of bright light. If there really were a storm going on to produce that type of lightning, there would be dark clouds in the sky rather than this consistent blue color.

Canon 7D, 5D, 35L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 135L, 200L, 10-22, 17-55, 70-300, 100-400L, 500D, 580EX(2).
Sigma 150 macro, 1.4X, 2X, Quantaray 2X, Kenko closeup tubes, Yongnuo YN685(3), Yongnuo YN-622C-TX. Lots of studio stuff.
** Image Editing OK **

Butts
I coulda shoulda woulda
263 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Australia
Dec 08, 2017 07:19 |  #7

ISO400, 1/3200, f5.6............pretty close to SUNNY 16!!

You know my answer.

Jotto123
80 posts
Joined Jul 2012
Dec 08, 2017 19:03 |  #8

Pretty sure lightning needs clouds.

6d - 135L - 85mm 1.8 - 50mm 1.8 - 24mm 2.8

joedlh
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2007
Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.
Dec 09, 2017 08:10 |  #9

Thanks for the feedback. My first attempt in hindsight was overdone. It's not actually two images. I "drew" in the lightning. The rest of the image was not post-processed beyond adjusting levels. The point of view is facing north on Patchogue Bay of Long Island, NY. There was a large thunderstorm to the north that dumped 2" of rain on the north shore. (Luckily it wasn't moving south.) To the south (behind my back) the sky was blue and the sun was illuminating the sailboats. It was unique setting. I did not in fact see any lighting, which would have been my signal to head back to port.

Here's a more conservative approach.

I left in the buoy. I intend it as a gift to my marina. These guys race every weekend. Anyone seeing the photo would would ask where the buoy went.

HOSTED PHOTO

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​texternal link
Editing ok

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Post has been edited 3 days ago by saea501.
Dec 10, 2017 07:46 as a reply to joedlh's post |  #10

I think if you want to give this to the marina it needs to look much more realistic. The sky doesn't look capable of generating lightning. You're going to need to replace the sky if you want it to be convincing.

With regard to the buoy....maybe just desaturate it a bit so it's not so demanding of attention.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com ...282@N06/with/382034​70844/ (external link)

bob_r
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2006
Cordova, TN
Dec 10, 2017 13:32 |  #11

If you want to add the lightning, I'd replace the sky with something like this. I'd also darken the water and sails a little. If you add lightning to this, it would look much more realistic.
Let me know if you want me to delete this and I will.

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 7D, 5D, 35L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 135L, 200L, 10-22, 17-55, 70-300, 100-400L, 500D, 580EX(2).
Sigma 150 macro, 1.4X, 2X, Quantaray 2X, Kenko closeup tubes, Yongnuo YN685(3), Yongnuo YN-622C-TX. Lots of studio stuff.
** Image Editing OK **

sponsored links

373 views & 5 likes for this thread
First impression?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.