Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk DIY & Customizing
Thread started 06 Dec 2017 (Wednesday) 14:01
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Best Heating Solution for a Cold Garage?

outdone
39 posts
Joined May 2009
Fresno, cA
Dec 06, 2017 14:01 |  #1

Looking to convert part of my garage from a storage room to part photo studio. Looking for advise on best tips and practices for making it a comfortable environment for clients. If anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated. Or warning of things not to do or use. :)

LasherPhotographyexternal link - Facebookexternal link - ClubFlys.comexternal link
Canon 7D | 50mm 1.8 - 85mm 1.8 | 18-135mm 4-5.6 |Promaster 300c

sponsored links
gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,369 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Dec 06, 2017 14:15 |  #2

I did think not for a studio but for a workspace. Three things are needed, insulate, stop drafts, add heat. For insulation I used regular fiberglass and covered with plywood. For air infiltration, the garage door was the hardest to seal but adding rubber seals to the door made a pretty decent insulator. For heat, stay away from the gas/propane ones and use those oil-filled electric heaters. You don't want to be breathing fumes in an enclosed space though I guess for a studio, the lights might be enough by themselves. :)

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,510 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been edited 10 days ago by John from PA.
Dec 06, 2017 15:26 |  #3

Are you in Fresno as your profile indicates? If so, it might be cold now but are you also going to be cooling the space come mid-summer when it reaches the short side of 100 deg? If so I'd be looking at a split heat pump unit after taking appropriate insulating steps.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

outdone
THREAD ­ STARTER
39 posts
Joined May 2009
Fresno, cA
Post has been edited 9 days ago by outdone.
Dec 06, 2017 19:17 |  #4

gjl711 wrote in post #18512109 (external link)
I did think not for a studio but for a workspace. Three things are needed, insulate, stop drafts, add heat. For insulation I used regular fiberglass and covered with plywood. For air infiltration, the garage door was the hardest to seal but adding rubber seals to the door made a pretty decent insulator. For heat, stay away from the gas/propane ones and use those oil-filled electric heaters. You don't want to be breathing fumes in an enclosed space though I guess for a studio, the lights might be enough by themselves. :)

Thank you. I kind of had an idea of how it will be rough to seal the garage. This one has some serious gaps that will need to be sealed. Starting to think it will become a bit heavy on the pockets.

And the advise about heating is greatly appreciated.

LasherPhotographyexternal link - Facebookexternal link - ClubFlys.comexternal link

outdone
THREAD ­ STARTER
39 posts
Joined May 2009
Fresno, cA
Post has been edited 9 days ago by outdone.
Dec 06, 2017 19:19 |  #5

John from PA wrote in post #18512162 (external link)
Are you in Fresno as your profile indicates? If so, it might be cold now but are you also going to be cooling the space come mid-summer when it reaches the short side of 100 deg? If so I'd be looking at a split heat pump unit after taking appropriate insulating steps.

Yes, located in Fresno.

As for long term use, I’m just planning on using the space for the next 3-6 months. I personally do not like the cold so I tend to shoot indoors more often during the cold season.

However, spending additional funds on renting other locations and spaces... in thinking I can maximize profits if I use my own space and have the freedom to take time on building sets.

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,208 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Sandy, Oregon
Dec 12, 2017 21:33 |  #6

Were located in Portland, and use a non insulated steel sided shop with a large garage door. We shoot nude/boudoir .... all sorts all year long. Winters we shoot with snow outside. Electric heaters sucked, propane heater (the type you put on a bbq tank) was not enough. We went with a large kerosene/diesel fuel heater and it works great. We use Diesel fuel as its a lot cheaper. I have to start it outside, let it heat up then move it inside, and I have to take it outside before turning it off to keep the fumes in the studio down. We end up just cracking the man door while using it and it gets the place nice and toasty warm. Were working in a 14'x50' building with 10' ceiling height.

This is probably overkill for your location.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,818 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been last edited 3 days ago by CyberDyneSystems. 3 edits done in total.
Dec 12, 2017 22:40 |  #7

outdone wrote in post #18512311 (external link)
Yes, located in Fresno.

As for long term use, I’m just planning on using the space for the next 3-6 months. I personally do not like the cold so I tend to shoot indoors more often during the cold season.

However, spending additional funds on renting other locations and spaces... in thinking I can maximize profits if I use my own space and have the freedom to take time on building sets.

If it's a temporary fix your looking for, you can rent a salamander/bullet heater, propane powered.

IMAGE: https://cdn3.volusion.com/qtnze.lcdok/v/vspfiles/photos/B350D-2.jpg

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,369 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Dec 12, 2017 22:54 |  #8

The bullet heaters are fine if your working out doors or in a garage with the door open, but I would not use them in an enclosed space unless your looking to make that shoot your last one ever.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

keeperseeker
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2011
b.c. canada
Dec 13, 2017 14:36 as a reply to CyberDyneSystems's post |  #9

That might fall into the catagory of " overkill "

I don't believe, you believe, I believe you can't be believed !

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,208 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Sandy, Oregon
Dec 14, 2017 08:34 |  #10

We use one just smaller then the one pictured, its not on its own cart. It all depends on how cold it is outside and how warm you need it inside. When its 32-40 degrees F and you need it to be 70 so your model can be nude without goosebumps you need heat and a lot of it. Keeping a door cracked is not a big deal to allow fresh air.

We use it in our enclosed space, which also has carpet on the concrete floor with no issue at all.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Dec 14, 2017 08:48 |  #11

Littlejon Dsgn wrote in post #18516613 (external link)
Were located in Portland, and use a non insulated steel sided shop with a large garage door. We shoot nude/boudoir .... all sorts all year long. Winters we shoot with snow outside. Electric heaters sucked, propane heater (the type you put on a bbq tank) was not enough. We went with a large kerosene/diesel fuel heater and it works great. We use Diesel fuel as its a lot cheaper. I have to start it outside, let it heat up then move it inside, and I have to take it outside before turning it off to keep the fumes in the studio down. We end up just cracking the man door while using it and it gets the place nice and toasty warm. Were working in a 14'x50' building with 10' ceiling height.

This is probably overkill for your location.

This is exactly the process I used with a kerosene heater on those nights when the wood stove just wasn't enough. Although Moving a lit heater is not recommended, but with a strong back and a clear path to the door it is manageable. Obviously make sure the heater has a good handle.

It might be enough to just open the garage door when turning it off. That is when the most fumes come off, and with an already drafty garage, the start up might not be too bad.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,818 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Dec 14, 2017 17:56 |  #12

gjl711 wrote in post #18516665 (external link)
The bullet heaters are fine if your working out doors or in a garage with the door open, but I would not use them in an enclosed space unless your looking to make that shoot your last one ever.

I don't know what you mean. When I was a carpenter working in unheated uninsulated buildings in sub freezing temps, this is what was always used. There are many sizes available.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Dec 14, 2017 21:36 |  #13

Some fumes vs frostbite

Coin toss, I guess.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,510 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been edited 14 hours ago by John from PA.
Dec 15, 2017 14:31 |  #14

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18518063 (external link)
I don't know what you mean. When I was a carpenter working in unheated uninsulated buildings in sub freezing temps, this is what was always used. There are many sizes available.

Those heaters, often called "salamander" heaters create carbon monoxide. If you are in a "loose" structure suffering from leakage then you may be fine. But if the space is relatively tight and doesn't leak, then carbon monoxide is a real concern. And the bad thing about carbon monoxide is the warnings can be mistaken for other things, so you just keep working in the space, potentially leading to death. The typical list of warning symptoms are headache, feeling tired, shortness of breath, nausea, dizzy spells, and flu-like symptoms without fever.

See https://www.mobileair.​com ...ander-heaters-poor-choice (external link).

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,818 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
4 hours ago |  #15

Yes, I understand. One must keep proper ventilation to be sure.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

sponsored links

392 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best Heating Solution for a Cold Garage?
FORUMS General Gear Talk DIY & Customizing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.