Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 06 Dec 2017 (Wednesday) 16:53
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

What Specs Needed for LR and PS?

SYS
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2004
Gilligan's Island
Dec 06, 2017 16:53 |  #1

During the Black Friday sales, I purchased a 13" Dell XPS (for best travel solution for me) with what I thought was enough specs to handle LR and PS editing on the go. Brought the laptop to San Diego, my first trip with it, and just went through the first series of editing, and I noticed that there's quite a disconcerting lag during PS editing. I thought the following specs would do the job without having to experiencing the lag?

8th Gen Intel® Core i7-8550U Processor 1.8GHz
16GB LPDDR3 1866MHz RAM
512GB PCIe Solid Drive Drive
InfinityEdge QHD+ (3200 x 1800) Display
Integrated Graphics

What's causing the lag, and is there anything I can do about it without having to move up to 15" with higher specs?

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

sponsored links
k9trainer
360 posts
Joined Jun 2003
Kailua Hawaii
Dec 07, 2017 03:08 |  #2

I’m trying an HP Spectre with the same specs, I get the same lag in Lightroom.

I am also testing out the Dell XPS15 9560 with i7 seventh gen quad core, 32gigs ram and 1TB SSD. It’s better.

I have a MacBook Pro being delivered this week 15 in 2.9 512ssd to compare before I decide which one to keep.
I have a feeling the 8th gen i7 8550u is under powered.

Canon 5D Mark II*BG-E6
17-40L*70-200 IS2.8 Mark II L
1.4x ll Extender*Flash 580EX II
Canon 15mm Fisheye*Canon2X II
Previously owned Canon 5D I - Canon 70-2002.8ISL- 24-105ISL

craig_k
205 posts
Joined Mar 2012
lubbock texas
Dec 07, 2017 09:36 |  #3

article on suggested specs, and a link to adobe for their minimum specs required

https://www.lightroomq​ueen.com ...rmance-computer-hardware/ (external link)

feedback: [URL]http://photograph​y-on-the.net/forum/showpost​.php?p=15029315&postco​unt=36656
feedback: [URL]http://photograph​y-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=28608&page=25​83
feedback: [URL]http://photograph​y-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=28608&page=25​93
nice bodies, L-lenses, rrs, 1600 alien bees,pelican cases..."lots of try"

SYS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2004
Gilligan's Island
Dec 08, 2017 16:11 |  #4

k9trainer wrote in post #18512458 (external link)
I’m trying an HP Spectre with the same specs, I get the same lag in Lightroom.

I am also testing out the Dell XPS15 9560 with i7 seventh gen quad core, 32gigs ram and 1TB SSD. It’s better.

I have a MacBook Pro being delivered this week 15 in 2.9 512ssd to compare before I decide which one to keep.
I have a feeling the 8th gen i7 8550u is under powered.

Let us know which one you end up keeping.

-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

SYS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2004
Gilligan's Island
Dec 08, 2017 16:19 |  #5

Dell XPS 13 comes with an integrated graphics, and I'm wondering whether the HP Envy 13 with almost identical specs but comes with a dedicated NVIDIA GeForce MX150 with 2GB GDDRS graphics card would help with the PS editing lagging issue? Exchanging the XPS 13 for HP Envy 13 isn't a problem.

-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,280 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Dec 09, 2017 10:31 |  #6

You need CLOCK SPEED, not multiple cores -- multiple cores is of benefit primarily when you have multiple applications running at the same time.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
2,928 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Post has been edited 6 days ago by davesrose.
Dec 09, 2017 10:48 as a reply to Wilt's post |  #7

Or, if you're doing video rendering or 3D rendering: then multiple cores are also a benefit. The turboboost speed is supposed to reach up to 3.7GHz on this processor....but it may not be fully utilized. The main difference with these new Gen 8 processors is that they are supposed to consume less power (better battery life, less heat), at the expense of base clock speed. The i7 7550U was dual core with higher base speed. There were fewer quad core mobile i7 Gen 7 processors, but they had a higher clock speed. Computer brands also dial down or even disable turboboost to keep the power consumption low. In the Which Ultrabook/ small laptop for editing large RAW files? thread, I've been including suggestions on how to improve PS performance and check your CPU settings.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

-dave-m-
Joined Sep 2011
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post has been edited 6 days ago by -dave-m-.
Dec 09, 2017 18:25 |  #8

For photo editing single core cpu performance is most important, gpu usage is low and in some cases enabling gpu in Lr can actually hinder performance. Also take into account, mobile cpu's perform lower compared to a desktop cpu. For instance, a mobile 8th gen Intel cpu at 3 GHz will perform lower compared to a desktop 8th gen Intel cpu at 3 GHz.

5D MkII Gripped | 7D MkII Gripped | 200 f/2.8L | 17-40 f/4L | Σ 24-105 OS f/4 Art | Σ 50 f/1.4 Art | Σ 150-600 OS f/5-6.3 C | 430EX II

MikeG50
122 posts
Joined Mar 2008
SE Missouri
Dec 14, 2017 22:47 as a reply to Wilt's post |  #9

So, how long have we been stuck with the same maximum clock speeds? Answer: A LONG time. All the improvements in CPUs have been in additional cores and NOT in clock speed. It seems like we are stuck in the dark ages. I'm sick of waiting for LR to edit and export my RAW files. But, not only is lack of progress in CPUs to blame, but especially so is Adobe. Why cant you be editing the next photo while LR is exporting the previous edit? You would only need 2 cores (I think, and I'm not a computer expert).

sponsored links

311 views & 5 likes for this thread
What Specs Needed for LR and PS?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.