Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 06 Dec 2017 (Wednesday) 22:46
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Artists steals photos....

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Post has been edited 5 days ago by Dan Marchant.
Dec 06, 2017 22:46 |  #1

Kind of business related. An artists was paid public money to create/stage an exhibition (so I guess that makes him a professional artist - even if he then turned out to be unprofessional).

He photographed and interviewed local people and then displayed blurred versions of their portraits as part of the exhibition..... except he didn't. Instead he took a bunch of images from the program for the 2015 Edinburgh Fringe Festival of comedy and used those instead.

https://petapixel.com ...-public-art-installation/ (external link)

Points to ponder
1. The internet is watching... the internet will find you. Why do people think they will get away with it.... or do they simply not think.
2. By taking images of public figure (minor ones maybe but still) surely he greatly increased the chances of getting caught.
3. It could well be claimed that the nature of the work makes it transformative and as such could be considered fair use/fair dealing. Had he been honest about what he was doing the project might have been OK. Taking public money and lying about what you are doing.... not so much.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

sponsored links
FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Dec 06, 2017 23:02 |  #2

Yeah, Con Artist. What a dick.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - 6D - 135L - 70-200 f4L IS - 600EX-RT x2 - ST-E3-RT - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

Sideshot
36 posts
Joined Nov 2017
Dec 08, 2017 10:04 |  #3

lol, some people are stupid and don't realize not all others are stupid also.

I am a website designer and I find so many stolen pics and images. Clients come to me and I will ask them "where did this image come from ?" oh it's "custom" then I will send them a link to where it was stolen from. lol

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,336 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Dec 08, 2017 10:12 |  #4

Richard Prince did something similar with Instagram photos. He did some minor change, printed it big and called it art and sold them for $90,000 a pop. I know he has several lawsuits filed against him but not sure whats happening to them.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

gjl711
53,336 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Dec 08, 2017 10:14 |  #5

Found this (external link). Looks like he is still fighting things but the courts are siding with him..

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,744 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Dec 08, 2017 10:20 |  #6

Sideshot wrote in post #18513381 (external link)
lol, some people are stupid and don't realize not all others are stupid also.

I honestly believe there exists a perfectly inverse relationship here. The less intelligence one possess, the more likely one is to believe that others are equally dim. Watch any TV news program.

Tom

Dan ­ Marchant
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Dec 08, 2017 21:48 |  #7

gjl711 wrote in post #18513387 (external link)
Found this (external link). Looks like he is still fighting things but the courts are siding with him..

That link is to a different case, which he won. The Instagram stuff is a new case and is on-going.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

drmaxx
Joined Jul 2010
Dec 09, 2017 02:36 |  #8

It's sad to see that somebody who creates himself has so little respect of other peoples creations.

Donate if you love POTN

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Dec 09, 2017 06:57 |  #9

I guess I don't understand why he didn't use the pictures that he took.

The article says he was there, interviewing people and photographing them, so he had the pictures. Why would he not use them?

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com ...282@N06/with/382034​70844/ (external link)

PhotosGuy
74,864 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Dec 09, 2017 07:57 |  #10

Just another reason to have my © notice on them? FWIW, I don't think it would then matter why he removed it, just that he did remove it: Help! I’ve Been Infringed! (external link)

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

gjl711
53,336 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Dec 09, 2017 08:16 |  #11

Dan Marchant wrote in post #18513791 (external link)
That link is to a different case, which he won. The Instagram stuff is a new case and is on-going.

Yea, I know, but this guy has been doing this for some time and it seems that the courts back him. Maybe this artist saw a chance to change the display from one that no one would come and see and be quickly forgotten into one that gets attention around the world.

sponsored links

331 views & 0 likes for this thread
Artists steals photos....
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.