Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 07 Dec 2017 (Thursday) 16:02
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

X rite software not displaying correctly

McNeese72
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2007
Sulphur, La
Dec 07, 2017 16:02 |  #1

I don't know where to put this question but it might be a computer problem. I have a relatively new Dell XPS 15 with a 4K screen. I have installed both the X-rite ColorMunki display and X-rite Color Checker Passport software on it both neither one is displaying correctly when I open the software. The software boxes are small and the text is jumbled on top of each other. You can't open the box in full screen and can't resize the box. I have tried changing the screen resolution and the scaling but all I get then is just bigger software boxes with the same jumbled look.

I am attaching a screen shot of both software to show what I am talking about. Anybody have any idea what might be going on and what the solution would be?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon EOS 20D | 1 7D gripped | 2 7D2's gripped | EF 70-200 F2.8 L IS | EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II USM | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM | EF 50 F1.8 | Sigma 17-50 F2.8 OS | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM | Canon Extender EF 2x III | Editing of photos is okay.

Doc's Shots (external link) USMMcNeese72 Flickr Page (external link)

sponsored links
digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,234 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Dec 09, 2017 11:31 |  #2

Which version? I have had it for a few years. There was a recent update that had glitches. Xrite sent me a previous version to install. I think I had 1.1.1 and they sent me 1.1.0 which I'm now running.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
2,912 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Post has been last edited 3 days ago by davesrose. 3 edits done in total.
Dec 09, 2017 11:45 |  #3

Yeah, I recently got a 15" laptop with 4K display. All my other software scales fine with 4K resolutions now, except the X-rite software. X-rite hasn't optimized for 4k display with font scaling (also known as hiDPI). The most straight forward way of using your X-rite software is to change your display resolution to 1080P, and font scaling back to 100%. The welcome screen for the display still has clipped off text for the monitor/projector selection, but the rest of the windows then don't have any clipping for me. It's mainly the font scaling that's causing the jumbled text. With the X-rite software, the font is scaling up, but the window and icon sizes aren't. You can also change font scaling to 100% at 2160P resolution, but it may be hard to see at such a small size.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,234 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Dec 09, 2017 11:48 |  #4

That is good info. Thanks.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

davesrose
2,912 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Dec 09, 2017 12:03 as a reply to digital paradise's post |  #5

This is also with the PC: maybe X-Rite has hiDPI scaling for the Mac (Adobe introduced it with CS6 for the Mac, but waited til CC for the PC). Hopefully X-rite does come out with an update that supports hiDPI scaling. Also, just thought of something else...if you really like fiddling with computers, there's a bit of a scaling hack that may or may not work (I've found it hit or miss, so haven't tried it with any of my laptop software..especially now that X-Rite is the only software that seems to not support hiDPI).

This tutorial goes over how to create a manifest file for an older version of PS, but this also works with any program:

High DPI Display Fix (external link)

EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

davesrose
2,912 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Post has been last edited 3 days ago by davesrose. 3 edits done in total.
Dec 09, 2017 13:15 |  #6

Actually, I just found a setting that worked for me (in scaling the X-rite display windows to the font size). This might work for you. Go to your program files (x86)/ X-rite/ ColorMunki Display. Then right click on ColorMunkiDisplay.exe, select properties, and then click the compatibility tab. There's an option for "Override high DPI scaling behavior". Change the behavior from Application to System (Enhanced). Then, you can do the same with the Passport program. With that enabled, everything is displaying well for me at 2160P, 200% font scaling. Shame on X-rite for not supporting hi DPI directly but thank you Microsoft for now coming to the rescue with this "enhanced" feature to force scaling!

smugmug (external link)

McNeese72
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2007
Sulphur, La
Dec 09, 2017 16:30 |  #7

davesrose wrote in post #18514175 (external link)
Actually, I just found a setting that worked for me (in scaling the X-rite display windows to the font size). This might work for you. Go to your program files (x86)/ X-rite/ ColorMunki Display. Then right click on ColorMunkiDisplay.exe, select properties, and then click the compatibility tab. There's an option for "Override high DPI scaling behavior". Change the behavior from Application to System (Enhanced). Then, you can do the same with the Passport program. With that enabled, everything is displaying well for me at 2160P, 200% font scaling. Shame on X-rite for not supporting hi DPI directly but thank you Microsoft for now coming to the rescue with this "enhanced" feature to force scaling!

That worked great. Thank you very much.

Doc

Canon EOS 20D | 1 7D gripped | 2 7D2's gripped | EF 70-200 F2.8 L IS | EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II USM | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM | EF 50 F1.8 | Sigma 17-50 F2.8 OS | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM | Canon Extender EF 2x III | Editing of photos is okay.

Doc's Shots (external link) USMMcNeese72 Flickr Page (external link)

meyrick
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Aug 2017
Sturminster Newton Dorset UK
Post has been last edited 1 day ago by meyrick. 2 edits done in total.
Dec 11, 2017 09:09 |  #8

You may be able to dodge the whole issue, because they have now just issued new software for I studio - more patches, B&W profiles more accurate profiles -etc. It works perfectly well with the Colormunki. Slightly different interface, but improved functionality. It does something like 118 different patches for the screen.

And you don't seem to have the problems connecting the Munki into a USB 3 port., with the Munki not being recognised. USB 2 or 3 the PC picks it up every time.

This "bonus" was published on the UK PAGB FB page, and the source was one of the Xrite people. Essentially the Munki has been repackaged and re-software-ed, and it is now an IStudio, but underneath it is apparently the same device.

Tried it on my machine and it seems fine, as Xrite said it would be.

I'm told that the standard Munki has been discontinued - so this IStudio software keeps us going very nicely.

sponsored links

195 views & 0 likes for this thread
X rite software not displaying correctly
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.