Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 08 Dec 2017 (Friday) 09:13
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon flash 580EX, 580..ii, 600EX RT, 600..ii

chuckmiller
400 posts
Joined May 2012
Tampa, Florida
Dec 08, 2017 09:13 |  #1

Other than the radio trigger function are there any appreciable differences good or bad as they progress from the original 580 to the latest 600?

sponsored links
Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,972 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Dec 08, 2017 09:42 |  #2

I currently use 3 550EX units and 2 580EXII units. All of my multi-unit flash work is indoors, so the Canon visible light triggering system works just fine for me. I tried YN-622 flash controllers and found them wanting wrt proper exposure in A:B, C setups, especially when mixing EX and EX II units. In the end, I don't need radio control. If I did, I believe I'd go to a set of Canon 430-RTs. Expensive, but I will assume rock-solid reliable.

Tom

Bassat
6,972 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Dec 08, 2017 09:44 |  #3

Bassat wrote in post #18513362 (external link)
I currently use 3 550EX units and 2 580EXII units. All of my multi-unit flash work is indoors, so the Canon visible light triggering system works just fine for me. I tried YN-622 flash controllers and found them wanting wrt proper exposure in A:B, C setups, especially when mixing EX and EX II units. In the end, I don't need radio control. If I did, I believe I'd go to a set of Canon 430-RTs. Expensive, but I will assume rock-solid reliable.

EDIT:
Ah, I forgot the main differences between EX and EX II. You can access the flash functions on-camera with the EX II units. The EX units are easier to set on-flash than the IIs.

Tom

chuckmiller
THREAD ­ STARTER
400 posts
Joined May 2012
Tampa, Florida
Dec 08, 2017 09:53 |  #4

Good info. THX.

Bassat wrote in post #18513367 (external link)
EDIT:
Ah, I forgot the main differences between EX and EX II. You can access the flash functions on-camera with the EX II units. The EX units are easier to set on-flash than the IIs.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,570 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Dec 08, 2017 10:07 |  #5

If you are considering a purchase, don't forget that Speedlights are also available as refurbished units. I have purchased two refurb units from Canon and like my two cameras (also refurbs) I could not tell them from new units. See https://shop.usa.canon​.com ...rbished-speedlite-flashes (external link) for what is available.

Bassat
6,972 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Dec 08, 2017 10:12 |  #6

Good point. I've saved a ton of money buying Canon refurbs. One drawback: it is mostly current gear. To get older stuff, you have to go to E-Bay, Craigslist, POTN sale pages, and the like. I just picked up my 3 550EX units on E-bay for about $50 each. Good, inexpensive, reliable lighting.

Tom

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,414 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Wilt.
Dec 08, 2017 10:45 |  #7

430EX < 430EXII, 580EX < 580EXII
no protection against overheat (due to excessive use) < self protection against overheat

430 < 580 = 600
less power < more power = same power (at 105mm) but with longer max FL zoom

EX < RT
optical IR TTL flash control < optical /radio TTL flash control

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

chuckmiller
THREAD ­ STARTER
400 posts
Joined May 2012
Tampa, Florida
Dec 08, 2017 13:46 |  #8

For the moment while Canon has the $100 off offer, a new 600EX II-RT is only $13 more than a refurb unit. It's a good deal for anyone wanting a new unit.

John from PA wrote in post #18513382 (external link)
If you are considering a purchase, don't forget that Speedlights are also available as refurbished units. I have purchased two refurb units from Canon and like my two cameras (also refurbs) I could not tell them from new units. See https://shop.usa.canon​.com ...rbished-speedlite-flashes (external link) for what is available.

sponsored links

994 views & 1 like for this thread
Canon flash 580EX, 580..ii, 600EX RT, 600..ii
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.